Author Topic: Clutch problems  (Read 5181 times)

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: Clutch problems
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2018, 04:58:24 AM »
What trans?

Which one? Its got 2! lol Advance Adapters Road Ranger in front of an NP435. As far as the clutch is concerned its the same as a stock setup with a 435. Shifts like crap but that's probably a good thing, If I would have went C6 I'm sure I would have wrecked it by now.

1-1/16x10? 

How much power do you think you're making?  Car/truck?  Rearend ratio?  Tire size?
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

BigBlueIron

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2018, 09:21:53 AM »
What trans?

Which one? Its got 2! lol Advance Adapters Road Ranger in front of an NP435. As far as the clutch is concerned its the same as a stock setup with a 435. Shifts like crap but that's probably a good thing, If I would have went C6 I'm sure I would have wrecked it by now.

1-1/16x10?  Yep

How much power do you think you're making?  Car/truck?  Rearend ratio?  Tire size? 1950 F1,  4.27 rear. Will probably stay around this, maybe 4.10 in the future.   31" tire.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2018, 09:27:35 AM »
The tall tire counters the deeper rear gears quite a bit.

How much power do you think you're making?
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

BigBlueIron

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2018, 11:04:56 AM »
I really don't know. I have plans to put it on the chassis dyno when I get some things ironed out. Mostly for tuning and see what it makes for fun. But that would now be a waste of time on a clutch that can't hold it.

Engine I believe is stock well used truck 390 D2 heads, with addition of a Streetmaster intake. So whats that 210hp? Really didn't expect it to run as well as it does.

So using http://www.wallaceracing.com/hp-blower.php a rough guess would be 425 @ 15psi or 640 @ 30psi.

I do have a small cam that might go in .495 lift 220 @ .5, 276 adv 113 separation.

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2018, 01:02:29 PM »
My 390 is a stock rebuilt 68 2bbl car motor(org cast pistons), with 5# of boost.  Does have a .53 lift flat tappet(not a blower cam--just what I had laying around).  With 600 holleys it pulled 111 mph in the 1/4, though ET is ridiculously slow at 14.0 since it blazes the tires for 3 gears on BFG radial T/A's.  I run a dual friction disc on a Ram adj plate(spare pieces from race car).  I think the plate is 2200#?  Give or take.  I bought it on the junk table at Summit a few years back.

I've wanted to turn the boost to 10#, but don't want to scatter those vintage stock cast pistons and stock bore block.

As a note, when the motor did not have the blower, it was a complete dog.  I mean slllloooowwwww.  Took all it's effort to bark the tires between gears.  5# of boost really woke it up.  Using Wallace calculators I should be about 450 hp(running 111 mph) which equates to low 12's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lai12DsFzW0
Larry

BigBlueIron

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2018, 02:11:34 PM »
Amazing car!

I have no expectation of this current engine staying how it is, I consider it an interim until time and money allow me to use a few of the parts I have laying around that will handle a boosted app much safer.  But I want to build everywhere else as if it was more powerful than it is. Because it will be and I hate buying parts twice. You know, bye a clutch just to bye a bigger one later scenario.

I never really drove this truck without the turbos so not sure how it would be without them. But its nothing to write home about until the boost gauge comes up to around 5lbs then things really start to happen. This a thrown together turbo setup and I'm happy at how driveable it is so far. I wish the boost came in stronger at low RPM but that's just because I'm to used to diesel. A blower like yours would fix that tho! Comparing to other turbo setups I think it responds well, and I can tweak that some too.

The cam I mentioned was a custom regrind (Oregon Cams) of my own thoughts with boost and propane in mind.  Tried to minimize overlap and keep a stock valvetrain unstressed. Like a weird RV cam lol It will end up in this truck sooner or later.

So would you say the Wallace calculator is close in your application?

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2018, 02:26:45 PM »
I was going to put good parts in this, but back in 2000 I lost the motor in the wagon and everything I was going to spend on this went towards the wagon.  Thus it is all stock, but fresh.  Fully prepped, blueprinted and such, but stock with new rod bolts and the cam I had running stock adj rockers..  It likely has too much overlap for a blower, but, it works.  I'd like to get a 445 kit for it and turn the wick up.  Oh, someday, when I have the "extra" money=never.

I used to have an old race clutch in it, sintered iron.  It was brutal to drive as it was really chattery.   I finally wore it out and like I said, had the PP and used it with a new DF disc.  A bit easier to drive, bit heavier pedal, but not as chattery.

It started with 600's off my pickup motor(428), then I found a pair of 660's.  I went through them but still have not got them tuned perfect.  Need to work out a bad mid range bog.  That big alum box takes a lot of fuel to keep happy.  I don't beat on it much, as I don't want to hurt it.  It's a cruiser for the most part.  Only took me 18 yrs to finally put a Unilite conversion in the stock distributor with an MSD.   Starts easier, runs better now the points don't jump.

I've contemplated a twin turbo on my '69 F100.  Kinda sneaky and would be a blast to drive.  The black car is a PITA with that huge barn in your vision 24/7.  I could make up a set of shorty headers turned upside down and mount the turbos over them and plumb them into each carb.    Ya, sounds like a tuning nightmare  :o

As for Wallace numbers?  Hard to say how accurate.  I only go by the MPH basically.  I know the wagon made 550 hp back when and ran 116~ mph at mid 11's.  Now it makes 625(dyno) and goes 123 mph(good day), 120(warm day) at 10.9.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 02:30:14 PM by BattlestarGalactic »
Larry

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2018, 04:01:49 PM »
Beautiful In Black

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it