Author Topic: Big crash at Rocky Mountain Race Week day one  (Read 5444 times)

AlanCasida

• View Profile
Big crash at Rocky Mountain Race Week day one
« on: June 17, 2018, 08:47:33 PM »
A guy hit the wall pretty hard at Great Bend yesterday( I wasn't there). Fortunately he was ok. This was a very poignant reminder of why I need to get a roll bar in my Galaxie if I am going to continue taking it to the track. That could have easily involved both cars.
Here is a video of Day one. The incident is at about the 16:40 mark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYZkVR7vYR4
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 08:55:20 PM by AlanCasida »

TomP

Re: Big crash at Rocky Mountain Race Week day one
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 12:58:23 AM »
Yes if that Mustang was faster he could have been alongside and got plowed into pretty hard. Looks like the wagon guy was awfully slow to lift off the throttle. Surprising how well the rest of the car held up other than the front end. Looks fixable.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 09:16:40 AM »
You see that on almost every crash that is not breakage related, the driver should have lifted when he started to lose traction and he didn't.  Especially on an event like Drag Week or RMRW, where you can make as many runs as you want, and only hand in the fastest time slip, there really isn't any reason to push the envelope. 
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 10:08:20 AM »
There's a maroon '66 Fairlane running this year that's pretty cool. Its a 427W with twin turbos. I've seen it at Bandimere, real nice car.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 10:47:38 AM »
Ya, unfortunate for sure.   Buddy sent a link from FB, he knows I run a wagon.  Apparent he didn't lift soon enough and then over corrected.

That is something that can be tragic with turbo cars.  Power comes on and stupid things happen if you don't have it hooked up or aimed straight.
Larry

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 11:10:22 AM »
Agree that not lifting on a crippled run (traction, out of the groove, engine/tranny issues, etc.) is the single most cause of crashes. Interesting too that the YouTube vids to the right of this subject vid highlight a number of drag racing crashes where not lifting is the biggest cause. Odd too that it appears even serious, experienced big moneyed racers sometimes try to save a run when lifting would have avoided a very expensive rebuild!
Bob Maag

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 12:17:00 PM »
It's scary every time I line up with one of those high-hp, small tire cars let me tell you.

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 12:30:47 PM »
There's a maroon '66 Fairlane running this year that's pretty cool. Its a 427W with twin turbos. I've seen it at Bandimere, real nice car.

I saw this video a while ago. Pretty cool car.

https://youtu.be/i6XEtVZ4VIE
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2018, 02:11:00 PM »
Like Larry said, seems to be a big problem with turbo cars as the power comes on, and the modern attitude of "never lift" doesn't help much. Not bashing this guy, but lots of people watch too many 1320 videos and want to be the Billy Bada$$ that is pedaling half way down the track.

Alan, I usually try to wait until the fast car goes first, but it seems like they always want to wait until I take off. I always fear getting slammed in the rear by a car doing 150+. That's why I've wanted to use a car other than my Mach 1, but at this point, starting over on another car is just out of the question, money wise.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

TomP

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2018, 11:45:18 PM »
I've never driven one but wonder if maybe when you lift, the turbos and intake tract still have so much stored boost the power doesn't diminish right away? Then perhaps the answer is to run a stick and push in the clutch.

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2018, 07:51:14 AM »
Most turbo guys can't get a clutch tuned in.  With the instant boost of power you have a hard time getting clutch management set just right.  Too much, too little, etc.  A glide and let it shift once and be done.

I'm guessing the power application is such a quick ramp up, the loss of traction happens and then the rest of the power comes on and it gets stupid really fast.  If you can't catch it soon enough........it's too late.
Larry

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2018, 10:32:05 AM »
I'm guessing the power application is such a quick ramp up, the loss of traction happens and then the rest of the power comes on and it gets stupid really fast.  If you can't catch it soon enough........it's too late.

Pretty sure that's the real issue. Stick cars have traction issues as soon as the pedal is dumped, while turbos are coming on hard once they get out a hundred plus feet. By that time the speed is already enough that bad things happen really quick. Now, boost is controllable through the computer, so it's a matter of finding that fine line between adding as much power as the chassis can hold, and not busting the tires loose. But with the insane levels of power that turbos can make these days, it's a fine line, and guys often cross that line. All it takes is a few degrees difference in track or air temps, and if it's not compensated for by an on-your-toes tuner or driver, you're gonna be in trouble.

Again, not trying to be hard on the guy in the video, I feel bad for him. He may have just hit a few drops of water from the exhaust of the car in front of him. When you're on that fine line, that's about all it'd take to break traction and upset the chassis.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2018, 12:48:06 PM »
I rewatched that video a few times.  The car pulled to the right, out of the groove, just off the launch.  It looked like he lifted, kinda tried to straighten it and then got back into it.  Only problem was he was in the gravel....way out of the groove.   It lost traction on the left tire and turned left instantly.  Poor decision on his part.   Rack that up to another "should not have tried to complete the pass" scenario.
Larry

scott foxwell

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2018, 05:23:35 PM »
I've never driven one but wonder if maybe when you lift, the turbos and intake tract still have so much stored boost the power doesn't diminish right away? Then perhaps the answer is to run a stick and push in the clutch.
A properly set up turbo or centrifugal supercharger will have a BOV (or a couple)...which is a blow off valve. It's in the charge pipe so that when the throttle is chopped all that stored up boost has some where to go and gets dumped.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2018, 07:44:15 AM »
Bad, not the worst I've seen - unfortunately.  It does look like he got off to the right and if he did get back in, that is what turned it left.  That car looks like it weighs a lot and with that power, it'd be real hard to stop.  Don't discount the possibility that the intake pressure held the throttle open long enough to cause the issue.  Seen that also.  Even killing the ignition, there is still a lot of mass in motion.