Author Topic: Couple of problems  (Read 1966 times)

Saltshaker

• View Profile
Couple of problems
« on: June 16, 2018, 10:06:24 AM »
My fan belt to the alt always needs to be adjusted... every  thousand miles. Replaced it last yr, 1 grove pulley.
Car has become hard to start taking 3-5 tries... timing 18int and 38 total this is a new problem... car had been Always for 6wks. Plugs look good
Jon

machoneman

• View Profile
Re: Couple of problems
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 10:11:22 AM »
If I followed you correctly, is the fan belt issued fixed...or not?

Hard starting? Do you mean after it sits for 6 weeks or......this issue came up 6 weeks ago?

My fan belt to the alt always needs to be adjusted... every  thousand miles. Replaced it last yr, 1 grove pulley.
Car has become hard to start taking 3-5 tries... timing 18int and 38 total this is a new problem... car had been Always for 6wks. Plugs look good
Jon
Bob Maag

Saltshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 10:20:24 AM »
Fan belt issue not solved and the car had been sitting for 6 wks and was hard starting...this was not the 1st time this has happened this yr
Jon

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 11:13:16 AM »
http://www.focusondrives.com/how-to-make-your-v-belts-last-longer/

This link has a diagram on the depth of a v-belt in the pulley. A too-deep belt (or one that sits to0 'tall') can cause your belt loosening issue, given that the adjustment bolt has a lock washer and the bolt doesn't loosen. 
Bob Maag

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 11:20:23 AM »
As to hard starting it's likely the gas (especially today's 10% ethanol laced gasoline) that due to engine heat has boiled-off after the engine has shut down and cooled off. How to tell? Pull the air cleaner after an overnight (or a few weeks) of sitting. Pump the throttle (assume: carbed) a few times and see if gas immediately shoots out of the shooters. If not and it takes a few pumps to get ANY gas out of the shooters, that's the likely issue.

In rare cases, an old fuel pump, all of which have a rubber anti-drainback flap inside, can allow gas in the line to drain down right after shutdown. Can't really diagnose this one save for replacing an old pump, a great insurance policy anyway.   
Bob Maag

Saltshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 11:41:27 AM »
The starting issue is when the car has not been started that day... engine is cold temp outside is 70.  I use to give the gas pedal to taps and the motor started, now it just cranks with out starting.
Jon

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2018, 12:13:43 PM »
Maybe the accelerator pump diaphragm in the carb. is stuck. Sometimes they corrode a little & stick. try pushing on it or look & see if it moves in while you open the throttle by hand. That will make a cold engine really hard to start if it has no shot of gas from the pump.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

Saltshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2018, 12:49:55 PM »
I'll check that out
Jon

gdaddy01

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2018, 04:48:27 PM »
if it is holley carb , the little ball under the screw for the shooter will often stick , have to take the screw out and get the ball out and clean it . if running an aluminum pulley , it could be worn and needs to replaced , steel seems to hold up better . the above belt diagram is good advice .