Author Topic: Any word yet on BBM blocks?  (Read 5988 times)

ACHiPo

• View Profile
Re: Any word yet on BBM blocks?
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2018, 08:48:17 AM »
worth the wait, I think I was on a list for a 428 iron block for more than 18 months.
Not only worth the wait, but Doug is a stand-up guy.  I had a problem with my 427 block and he worked with me to make it right.  Definitely a good company to do business with.

Mind sharing what said problem was and how it was handled?

There was an internal leak from the oil galley where the side galley intersects the 5th main galley, likely from core shift.  Invisible and undetectable until the motor was on the dyno.  Doug offered to replace the block.  After talking to the engine builder and Doug, I decided to have the builder sleeve the galley rather than start over.  Doug covered the cost of the repair.

HvyFt4spd

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2018, 12:18:52 AM »
Good to know, thanks!

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2018, 04:11:54 PM »
 Track Boss in Mn. is making 351C blocks here in the USA. His foundry has pushed him back 6 months or more. Delays, pattern reworks, lots of delays , not TrackBoss's fault but he gets the blame . No one seems to be able to get parts right now.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2018, 06:51:45 PM »
That's Tim Meyer, and he is very, very frustrated with his block casting deliveries.  I feel bad for him.  And of course, I've been waiting for months for my valve cover castings...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2018, 08:59:24 AM »
So what’s the underlying problem? Are there not enough foundry’s to keep up with the demand or something else?
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2018, 09:03:10 AM »
The same with anything else.....the guy with the most orders gets the business.

Aftermarket FE and Cleveland blocks just aren't as desired as a SBF, SBC, BBC, etc. 

Tim would do best to concentrate on cast iron foundries.  The aluminum stuff has too many potentials for problems.  He has only dyno'd one complete Track Boss engine and it had porosity problems right off the bat...about caught the dyno room on fire.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2018, 09:49:05 AM »
So what’s the underlying problem? Are there not enough foundry’s to keep up with the demand or something else?

Brent has the right idea. Lets say for example "a" shop during a 40 hour week has the potential to do 100 castings at full capacity, that pay XXX dollars per unit of a part they produce on a regular basis. The shop makes money and pays it's employees , everybody is happy.
     Scene two is the same shop takes on a new project , has issues , doesn't produce one part they can bill for in a 40 hour week, nothing else gets made to generate income and the employees ( and other over head) is still there with their hand out at the end of the week.
     This scenario is always in the mind of the manufacturer who's income is based on machine time . No fault of the end customer , just today's economics.
   Randy