Author Topic: Someone hit me over the head...  (Read 4207 times)

FElony

Someone hit me over the head...
« on: June 09, 2018, 01:35:04 PM »

wowens

• View Profile
Re: Someone hit me over the head...
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 01:42:57 PM »
BAM
Woody

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 01:48:43 PM »
Pinto yes, Montego no....

---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

FElony

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 01:49:59 PM »
BAM

AND FELONY'S HEAD GOES INTO THE LEFT FIELD BLEACHERS!! THE CROWD IS ECSTATIC!!

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 02:51:07 PM »
Man, make an offer on the unibody '62 pickup, or even maybe the Duece (strictly for resale). Forget the Merc.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

FElony

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 03:33:26 PM »
OK, you guys should know by now that I have an angle or story or something behind everything. Since I'm bored at the moment, here it goes.

Five years or so ago I picked up a 1973 Montego GT real cheap from the deceased owner's sister. It has an N-code 429, buckets, console, power windows, comp suspension, dual sport mirrors, A/C, etc. Complete, not running. It is the "cousin" to my 1972 Torino Gran Sport, N-code 429, bench, comp suspension, dual sport mirrors, A/C, etc.

To me, the 19-seventy-TWO Montego is the most artistically-designed automobile that Ford ever built for regular production. Ever. I had been looking for a '72 GT for about 30 years or so. Fail, fail, and more fail.  OK, since I bought the '73 I've searched for at least a '72 parts car so I can switch out the nose clip. Google up both years so you see what I'm talking about. Rear bumpers are the same for both. Also, my '73 has some corrosion around the tops of the wheel well mouldings and a few other places, so I could use some better metal there.

Got it now? For the price of this car, I can get what I need, part out the rest, and be dollars ahead, not that I care. OF COURSE, this shows up in Yuma, which is over three hours one way, during June temps. If there's any place hotter than here, it's Yuma. Why don't these people sell their cars when it's only 80?

Aargh. OK, here's some off-topic trivia. Sort of. What I don't know about my Montego GT and the Torino Gran Sport (BTW, GET off my lawn!), are two things. One, both are Data Tagged with 2.75 rears. With factory 429's, are the carriers N-cases? I dunno yet; haven't crawled under. An inordinate number of F-trucks in those years actually have N-cases, with smaller engines. Rumors I've read are that Ford over-produced N's then, and threw them into whatever, whenever. Also, do these C6's have a cast-iron tail shafts like the earlier Cobra Jets? I dunno yet; I haven't crawled under. I wouldn't have thought so, but a few years back I bought a boatload of parts from a guy locally, and in the mix was an NOS iron C6 tail shaft with a 1972 casting number on it. Hmm, I say pensively.

Yep, there's a method to the madness. It's all fun to me. I gots nuttin' else to do.

FElony

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2018, 03:35:33 PM »
Man, make an offer on the unibody '62 pickup, or even maybe the Duece (strictly for resale). Forget the Merc.

I can find at least a couple unibodies a month around here. Not my gig, but are they desirable?

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2018, 03:43:07 PM »
Nawh, this was the coolest Merc of all time:

http://californiastreets.blogspot.com/2013/12/danville-street-sighting-1969-mercury.html

That or the real Talledega-nosed NASCAR racer, #21, from the famed Cale Yarborough stable.
Bob Maag

FElony

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2018, 04:07:26 PM »
Nawh, this was the coolest Merc of all time:

http://californiastreets.blogspot.com/2013/12/danville-street-sighting-1969-mercury.html

That or the real Talledega-nosed NASCAR racer, #21, from the famed Cale Yarborough stable.

For some reason, I never like the flat-nosed cars as much as the regular ones. I think there's a little too much bulk forward of the front wheels. However, I have four 68/69 Mercs, so your preachin' to the choir. However, I said "artistic", not "cool". Look at the curves from a styling viewpoint.

https://www.google.com/search?q=1972+montego+gt&client=firefox-b&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjX4OmBvsfbAhUhrVkKHaVJAOcQ_AUICygC&biw=1363&bih=734

Posi67

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2018, 08:42:49 PM »
I like the look of that car except for the grill. Same can be said for the same year Cougars. I recall something about a Pontiac designer coming over to Ford around that time an ruining the front end on a bunch of cars. A 72 Torino GT works for me though.

babybolt

• View Profile

mtburger

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2018, 10:11:14 AM »
Hello FElony.

I looked into purchasing that Montego about 2 years ago (before I purchased my current 1972 Montego) from the same seller, at which time he sent me about a dozen additional pictures.

It is no where near as bad as an East Coast car (where I live), but it is not your typical desert car either. I no longer have the pictures, but I would bet the seller can send them to you if you ask for them.

I sold you the dash pad and a bunch of other Montego parts when you fist got the Montego GT.

I cut these fender wells out of a Torino I parted and saved them for quarter patch pieces.

I have been very successful in the past using sections of front fenders to patch quarter panels on cars that panels are not readily available for.

I can hold them up against my car so you can see that they are very usable to repair the Montego rear wheel lip if you think they might work for you.

Pictures of the panels and my car attached. If you think these would work for you, they are yours for $20.00 plus the shipping.

Thanks, Mike Howard.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 10:16:28 AM by mtburger »

FElony

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2018, 12:01:06 PM »
Hey Mike. I have to think that car is still well worth the price. Funny thing, it's 105 here right now, and I checked Yuma. 93 there, lol. Check your PM box.

TomP

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2018, 12:13:55 AM »
For god sakes take your winter coat...93..brrr.   ::)

There is a red 72 Montego GT around here now that I see at shows. There is also a 73 (think) with a 4 speed around.

Not sure on the N case, maybe. I got an N case from a 351 2V Torino wagon one time.

FElony

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2018, 08:39:22 PM »
For god sakes take your winter coat...93..brrr.   ::)

There is a red 72 Montego GT around here now that I see at shows. There is also a 73 (think) with a 4 speed around.

Not sure on the N case, maybe. I got an N case from a 351 2V Torino wagon one time.

I looked at this green '72 a few hours ago while it was on my trailer. It appears that there is an N "bump" under dirt buildup there. The ad is still there right now, possibly until Monday, and you can see in pic #5 the end of a triple-dimple axle, so I'm guessing 31 spline. This was a 351C-2V. When I get this up on the usual jackstand/concrete paver combo that I'm internationally famous for (take that, Hagerty video people!), I'll double check the carrier.