Author Topic: Flame Throwers Safe On Engine's ?  (Read 1752 times)

427HISS

• View Profile
Flame Throwers Safe On Engine's ?
« on: June 21, 2018, 01:45:28 PM »
I've always see these on cars, but I've known how they work, other than putting in a spark plug in the exhaust. I checked out a video install (Stacey David, from an old episode "Trucks")

He said when you turn on the switch, it cuts out the engine spark, directing the spark to the exhaust, which burns the fuel thus creating flames. But, he said,... "this washes down the engine cylinder walls and rings, so change the oil often".

Can damage be done ?

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: Flame Throwers Safe On Engine's ?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 02:13:42 PM »
Absolutely yes! Watched this done for many years at '50s customs events. Not only does it wash cylinders down and load the oil with gas, but I've watched several cars burn when things got out of hand. Nice cars too; at least they started out that way.

There are a couple ways of doing it, but none are good. Most guys will rev the engine up, then pull the choke out while killing the engine, doing this several times in a row before 'igniting' the exhaust. That makes sure the exhaust is really full of gas. There is no other way to describe it other than stupid! I suppose it would be possible to run a separate line to the exhaust tailpipe that sprayed fuel out at the back, where it could then be lit, but I'd avoid the situation altogether. To me it ranks up there with burnout contests, where guys trash their engines and rip off quarter panels when their tires explode.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 02:22:41 PM »
The few guys I've seen locally that have them, typically only just pull the choke after revving the engine.   The extra fuel in the exhaust then burns off.  Never heard of cutting the spark to the engine.   Once you do turn the engine back on any extra fuel in the muffler will explode and make a jiffy pop popcorn out of the muffler.

Back some 30 yrs ago, our local UPS guy used to back fire his truck coming down the street.  I kept waiting to see the muffler laying on the ground in pieces.

Yes, it does put a LOT of extra fuel in the engine, which in turn will wash the cylinders down if done for too long.  I don't see a problem with doing it for a few seconds.  Extended time?  Ya, not so good.
Larry

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 03:10:23 PM »
In the old days they used a buzzcoil from a model-t and a sparkplug in
the tailpipe pulled out the choke and lit it up. Cool i suppose ...if you are
10 years old  I rank it among burnout contests, 45 degree camber on all four,
13inch wheels with tires 4 inch to narrow for the rim.....Ninja turtles....drifting
Monster trucks....

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

GJCAT427

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 05:47:32 PM »
One of the neatest systems I saw was on a 57 ford fairlane that used propane injected into the tail pipe. Upon revving it up the guy turned on the feed and presto 10' flames out he tailpipes.

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2018, 01:35:53 PM »
my dad had a econoline van back in the 70s.he would go down the road under power and turn the key off for a few seconds and when he turned it back on it would backfire like a shotgun.we passed a guy sitting on a bridge over a creek,my dad made the van backfire right when we got beside him.i remember the guy jumped off the bridge in the creek.i was just a boy but i remember it well because we thought it was funny at the time.i hope he didnt get hurt.it was about a ten foot drop to a small stream.
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new