Author Topic: i guess i ruined a new set of bbm heads  (Read 7126 times)

Heo

• View Profile
Re: i guess i ruined a new set of bbm heads
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2018, 01:24:23 PM »
What i would do is chuck upp some round bar in the late
and make me some inserts looking like a ....top hat with
a thread on the outside and the inside and countersunk
for the flange in the head so the insert is flush with the head
locktite the insert in the head. If there is enough material
in the head. But thats me!

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2018, 01:31:09 PM »
are the rocker bolt holes on bbm heads shallower than stock cj heads.if so they should have a warning about using stock bolts.or is the stands on hs rockers smaller than stock adjustables. i know they were diff height stands on low riser vs high riser.looks like im not the only one to do this.it busted through very easy.just torquing them to 25 broke through.if i had the heads off and bolted the rockers on i would have noticed they were bottoming out but on a running engine in the car,the bottoming out is harder to detect because of spring pressure on them.
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2018, 01:38:08 PM »
Thats why i always test fit the parts on the bench and messure bolts
I have been burned by "bolt on" parts one time to many

Require only ordinare handtools and a few hours, NO welding required ;D ::) ::)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 01:42:29 PM by Heo »

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

scott foxwell

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2018, 05:51:42 PM »
What i would do is chuck upp some round bar in the late
and make me some inserts looking like a ....top hat with
a thread on the outside and the inside and countersunk
for the flange in the head so the insert is flush with the head
locktite the insert in the head. If there is enough material
in the head. But thats me!
I like to make inserts out of short bolts. You can pick the thread you want and make the flange from the head of the bolt. Still takes a little lathe work but easier than making the whole thing from scratch. ;)

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2018, 06:21:38 PM »
Well i guess a bolt is a round bar ;) In my case living
in Sweden unc/unf bolts is hard to get now and expensive
so some round stock is a better alternativ for me

And since i have worked some on British bikes with their threads
BSY, BSCY ,and whatever im used to make my own bolts and nuts
and to make them i have sometimes had to make my own taps and
dies ;D
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 06:42:38 PM by Heo »

VikingsFan

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2018, 07:27:35 PM »
Doug at precision oil pumps.

http://stores.precisionoilpumps.com/ford-fe-390-428cj-427lr-rocker-stud-kit/

Is Doug still in business?  I ordered a set of these studs, along with some rocker shaft end stands, a few weeks ago but the order status is "Awaiting Fulfillment."  I've tried email and calling, but so far no response, and the voice mailbox is full.  Anyone know an alternate email or phone number?

scott foxwell

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2018, 07:35:47 PM »
Well i guess a bolt is a round bar ;) In my case living
in Sweden unc/unf bolts is hard to get now and expensive
so some round stock is a better alternativ for me

And since i have worked some on British bikes with their threads
BSY, BSCY ,and whatever im used to make my own bolts and nuts
and to make them i have sometimes had to make my own taps and
dies ;D
That's fun stuff! I had no idea you were in Sweden...I understand now.

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2018, 08:17:06 PM »
You should never use bolts in the rocker pedestals of any aluminum head.  I snug the studs with a t-handle wrench.  If you crank on the studs with a ratchet handle, they will poke through.  The other style heads mentioned in this thread as examples...... Cleveland and BBC......neither have pressurized oil involved.  That is a huge difference.  The outer threads of the insert must be sealed, as well as the inside threads.  That is why I mentioned  an insert with a bottom in it, like Tom P's example of those smog plugs.  I have fixed few heads by using an all-thread 5/8 fine thread B-7 material, and drilling and tapping the 3/8 inside it, with a sealed bottom.

It's a tough fix to have to pull the heads.  Putting sealer in the top of the oiler hole can lead to plugging the oil to the whole shaft if silicone gets stuck in the stand.  I hate that you have the problem.....just trying to give you sound advice.  Your heads aren't totaled, but there is a near 100% chance that the  oil will come past the insert on #3 and/or #6.
Blair Patrick

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2018, 11:36:29 PM »
thanks for the sound advice Blair.i didnt put any sealer in 3 or 6 because of the recess and the oil hole,but i did put a little around the top of the others. im going to buy some studs like recommended and install them,but i was really hoping to put off the tare down till later,if possible
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2018, 07:08:30 PM »
if i remove the intake i believe i will try screwing studs in and put some epoxy for alu under the studs to block the bottom of the holes.i have a drag race buddy that has some nascar heads that busted through like mine and he said it fixed his. he said not only the oil will get by the inserts with oil pressure, but also he said vacuum will suck oil past the inserts too
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 07:14:28 PM by fryedaddy »

Pentroof

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2018, 08:27:12 PM »
I did this many years ago on a set of Edelbrock heads. Unfortunately, enough material had poor timing to find itself between the piston and head that the piston rocked and split #6 cyl wall.

I was living in New England at the time and brought them to a retired aerospace welder that was working out of his garage. Easily reachable from the intake side. TIG Welded up perfectly. Been like that for 12 years.

Find a GOOD welder and clean, clean, clean them first.
Jim

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2018, 04:37:23 PM »
i removed the intake last week. numbers 1,5, and 6 were leaking past the inserts.the other 5 cylinders were clean as a pin.i installed new  studs and i used liquid aluminum to fill the bottoms of the holes and let it cure for 3 days.it turned out pretty smooth.if none of the plugs pop out it should stop the leak.if this fails i wont have any choice but to remove the heads and take them to a welder.my buddy that has been bracket racing since the 70s said he done a set of heads that way 12 years ago and they are still ok.i hope i have the same kind of luck with mine.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2018, 08:37:41 AM »

Is Doug still in business?  I ordered a set of these studs, along with some rocker shaft end stands, a few weeks ago but the order status is "Awaiting Fulfillment."  I've tried email and calling, but so far no response, and the voice mailbox is full.  Anyone know an alternate email or phone number?

Yes, he is still in business, and I'm surprised that you haven't heard back from him, his responsiveness is usually pretty good.  I just got some parts from him within the last few weeks.  He is a one man shop, so maybe he had some family issue, I'd keep trying.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

VikingsFan

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2018, 03:37:27 PM »

Yes, he is still in business, and I'm surprised that you haven't heard back from him, his responsiveness is usually pretty good.  I just got some parts from him within the last few weeks.  He is a one man shop, so maybe he had some family issue, I'd keep trying.

Doug got back to me and actually went so far as to overnight me the parts I needed to finish my build.  He's just busy and didn't clear out his voice mail.  All good now, thanks!