Author Topic: FE rod options?  (Read 18874 times)

thatdarncat

• View Profile
Re: FE rod options?
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2018, 07:53:35 PM »
This thread has gone way astray - - but its been really educational.

I think we all need to schedule a group field trip to the bauxite museum in - of course - Bauxite, Arkansas....for research.  They have to have a bar there....

I'm in for the field trip and social event lol.  ;D
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

plovett

« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2018, 07:55:27 PM »
I have Competition Products rods.  They told me they were made by Oliver.  They are not factory FE dimensions, though.  They have SBC large journal big end and SBC pin size. 

paulie

plovett

« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2018, 07:57:10 PM »

My apologies to the OP and Jay for turning this thread into a s#*tshow. I'm done with it.

Shoot Doug.  This ain't a sh*t show.  This is patty cake.  :)   And it's been interesting.

JMO,

paulie

scott foxwell

« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2018, 08:05:50 PM »

So out of that 38m tons you came up with, do you think there was enough bauxite for Alcoa and Reynolds to produce enough aluminum for ALL of manufacturing in the US at that time? Lets say they mined 25% of that 38m tons. That is 9.5m tons. 25% of that would be 2.37m tons of aluminum, over a period of how ever many years you calculated, for ALL of aluminum manufacturing needs in the US.
Does that sound reasonable to you?

I guess you missed the part about that being Arkansas production only? And I didn't come up with that 38 million tons, it's a fact stated by knowledgeable professionals who know the actual figures. I'll even overlook the fact that ALCOA, being a major mining company, would probably have dealt with the biggest companies in the U.S. to sell their product. I get the fact that you can never admit that there's even a possibility you might be wrong about something. I'm pretty sure we all get that.

My apologies to the OP and Jay for turning this thread into a s#*tshow. I'm done with it.
LOL...the minute you turn an argument personal, you lose but I'll be your huckleberry...where was I wrong? I think you need to look in the mirror for that one.

RJP

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2018, 08:06:35 PM »
This thread has gone way astray - - but its been really educational.

The Arkansas bauxite mines look to have been the victims of multiple issues coming together at once.  Its a material that is strip mined - we all know how the environmental folks love that process.  The fact that it is really common in low cost countries, combined with the labor and environmental pressure, a weak economy in the early 80s, and the rise of recycling (aluminum is among the most recycled materials around) made the mines non-competitive.  I think we all need to schedule a group field trip to the bauxite museum in - of course - Bauxite, Arkansas....for research. They have to have a bar there....

The Rouge video is awesome.  Check out the gang hone doing four cylinders at once.  Or the lifter bore machine that hits all of them in a group.  The huge cutter doing the front face is cool.  Using a hand compressor to squeeze the rings is kinda surprising, as was the idea that the short block was assembled standing on end.  They point out the pressure check on the deck oil feed - that sunnuvabitch has apparently been a problem child from day one.  The hot start is neat and answers a couple questions that pop up from time to time - notice the cut away valve covers so they could do a visible oiling check.
With our luck it would be a dry county >:(

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2018, 08:43:59 PM »
Do you guys really still have dry counties??

preaction

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2018, 09:40:52 PM »
I have Competition Products rods.  They told me they were made by Oliver.  They are not factory FE dimensions, though.  They have SBC large journal big end and SBC pin size. 

paulie
Who and why would anyone want to call an Oliver rod anything other than Oliver ?

HvyFt4spd

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2018, 12:00:47 AM »
[/quote]

Hey Doug,

No worries here but thanks for the consideration. I deleted the thread at least once before deciding to go ahead and ask... it went as expected. lol  So far no responses to my emails and calls but I'm not in any huge rush.

Someone along the way asked how much original stuff was on my engine in an attempt to prove a point. My builds differ from the popular stand points, with a full body passenger car my interest is an all original date matched build hiding as much punch as possible. If you're familiar with the extremes taken in pure stock racing with factory castings that's pretty much what we like in street/strip cars just without any class rules. My intent is an iron Hiriser built in this manor to run with some similar Hemi/409 cars around.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 12:07:31 AM by HvyFt4spd »

plovett

« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2018, 05:09:05 AM »

paulie
Who and why would anyone want to call an Oliver rod anything other than Oliver ?

Because they want to call it by their own name.  I think it is pretty common.  Didn't Dove used to make rocker arms for lots of other companies, like Comp Cams? 

Lenz

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2018, 06:31:26 AM »
Do you guys really still have dry counties??
Yep, Went through the Jack Daniels distillery some time back and the only way you could get any bourbon in that county was to buy a souvenir bottle that just happened to come full of the devil's brew.  Of course by now the townspeople may have gathered up their pitch forks and overthrown the county seat, so who knows? ???
Len Zielinski
'64 Galaxie 500 445 Toploader
'69 F100 300 stick

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2018, 08:07:18 AM »
Someone along the way asked how much original stuff was on my engine in an attempt to prove a point. My builds differ from the popular stand points, with a full body passenger car my interest is an all original date matched build hiding as much punch as possible. If you're familiar with the extremes taken in pure stock racing with factory castings that's pretty much what we like in street/strip cars just without any class rules. My intent is an iron Hiriser built in this manor to run with some similar Hemi/409 cars around.

I completely get where you're coming from. I've gone to great lengths, and usually expense, to use U.S. sourced products in every way possible. I'm an avid backpacker and have some pretty extensive equipment, and I can't even say how much time I have invested in researching U.S. made products. And more often than not, they're the best products out there. Except for my tent which is made in Sweden, my boots which are made in Germany, every item is made by small companies here. So more power to you.

I have a lot of respect for the Pure Stock guys. I was just mentioning this to DaleP in a private message, asking him about fuel systems and using my stock tank for a hard launching car. Those guys have lots of ingenuity. I've always used stock stuff in the past, but my current build will use a Crower crank and Crower rods. You've just got to expect getting some flak for sticking to your guns. It's your car and your engine, so build it how YOU want.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Dumpling

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2018, 09:39:16 AM »
This is getting really bizarre.
Where does Crower get it's steel?
Dust from the Sahara regularly crosses the Atlantic, along with African air.  Think any of that dust or air gets incorporated into "American" products?  What about imported food and liquor that "Americans" (really? all American? born and raised?) consume so that they can go to work every morning in American factories?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 10:28:25 AM by Dumpling »

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2018, 09:51:13 AM »
It really doesn't bother me how people feel about this sorta thing.  Everybody has their own opinion and own viewpoints.

Only thing I scratch my head on is when someone has a 500-600 hp FE that would live forever with some Scat 4340 I-beam rods for $350 a set, but opt to pay $1900 for a set of Crowers just because of where they're made.  I don't have that kind of disposable income....hahaha

But hey, I'll be more than happy to sell the $1900 Crowers.   ;D
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

scott foxwell

« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2018, 11:23:13 AM »
This is getting really bizarre.
Where does Crower get it's steel?
Dust from the Sahara regularly crosses the Atlantic, along with African air.  Think any of that dust or air gets incorporated into "American" products?  What about imported food and liquor that "Americans" (really? all American? born and raised?) consume so that they can go to work every morning in American factories?
The computers we're using at this very moment...or cell phones, the cars we drive today, the clothes and shoes we wear, the beds we sleep in, the TV's we watch and radios we listen to, the appliances in our kitchens and laundry rooms... the list goes on.

Dumpling

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2018, 01:45:12 PM »
The computers and robots on the manufacturing floor, the CNC stations, the diamonds in the cutting tools (tungsten from China)...
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 02:28:02 PM by Dumpling »