Author Topic: FE rod options?  (Read 18846 times)

HvyFt4spd

• View Profile
FE rod options?
« on: May 05, 2018, 11:01:25 AM »
  Anything out there US made in long or short standard FE rods? Say in the $800-$1200 range.... This is mostly a preference, a $450 set of Scat H-beams would do the job but if I could get something between the $2500 billets and the China parts I'd be glad to toss the money at it .

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: FE rod options?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 12:19:40 PM »
I have Molnar rods in stock at 6.490” and FE rod journal diameter.  They are US made, lighter than Scats and come with some very stout fasteners.  Excellent quality pieces. I’ll defer you to their website for pricing.

Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 12:55:28 PM »
I don`t know if Crower offers them anymore, but my 427 block with 428 crank has a set of Crower I Beam rods that have all the factory dimensions.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

winr1

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 01:30:39 PM »
Molnar part #  FH6488ANPB8-A

Ricky.

HvyFt4spd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 01:33:42 PM »
   From the wording on the website and previous posts about Molnar my understanding is that these are "finished in the USA" offshore parts. I've only seen a few of their offerings but those parts also looked like Scat pieces that were further detailed. I filed out a contact slip with Oliver just to see what they say but haven't found too much thumbing through various company listings. I'll make some calls Monday but wanted to see what might be known here.

Thanks, Dan

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2018, 01:43:41 PM »
I thought they were made in the USA, but I could be wrong. 

These are about 65g lighter than a Scat, with much better fasteners. 

Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

scott foxwell

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2018, 02:26:57 PM »
   From the wording on the website and previous posts about Molnar my understanding is that these are "finished in the USA" offshore parts. I've only seen a few of their offerings but those parts also looked like Scat pieces that were further detailed. I filed out a contact slip with Oliver just to see what they say but haven't found too much thumbing through various company listings. I'll make some calls Monday but wanted to see what might be known here.

Thanks, Dan
Tom Molnar used to be an engineer at Oliver, then started K1, now does his own thing with Molnar Technologies. The rods are import forgings but to his spec...nothing like a Scat. His bolts are form ARP but also to his spec. Tom is a very sharp guy and puts out a real nice product. Detail/finish work on his rods is very nice. He's also very easy to talk to and will answer any questions you have. Give him a call if you want to know about his rods.

HvyFt4spd

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2018, 06:46:30 PM »
Scott, I've seen the rods and cranks in person and those I've had my hands on appear to start from the same core forging. I maybe wrong about that vs the most current offerings and I'm not knocking the company either way. Still I don't see any use of thier product lines for my interests at this time. For me at that point of cost I'm up for spending more for an actual US made item and supporting companies that consider that important. If I'm screwing a budget 302 together I'm probably going Scat unless quality drops even further. Should that occur or there be no other option is the only way I see myself ever sending Molnar money for China parts that expensive.

I can also tell you I turned down a set of Molnar rods at FERR on a generous discount for a cash sale. Now I considered it knowing they are nice pieces but I just couldn't do it, hence this thread....

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2018, 07:06:01 PM »
Only domestic source I am aware of is Crower

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2018, 07:26:16 PM »
The forgings are completely different, the beam is very narrow on the Molnar.

Also, your reply seemed to imply that the Scat pieces were “budget” and that they were low quality.  That’s not at all the case.  I’ve seen more crankshaft journal dimension variation on some Callies cranks than I’ve seen on some Scat cranks.

It’s completely your prerogative to choose US made stuff over US finished stuff and that’s perfectly fine, but at the HP level of most FE’ers, the Scat pieces are really pretty nice.

As Barry said, Crower is the only other option for an FE dimension rod.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

FB

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2018, 08:35:32 PM »
I don`t know if Crower offers them anymore, but my 427 block with 428 crank has a set of Crower I Beam rods that have all the factory dimensions.

yep can still get them, a bit pricey but are masterpieces.......
Fred

scott foxwell

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2018, 09:56:54 PM »
Scott, I've seen the rods and cranks in person and those I've had my hands on appear to start from the same core forging. I maybe wrong about that vs the most current offerings and I'm not knocking the company either way. Still I don't see any use of thier product lines for my interests at this time. For me at that point of cost I'm up for spending more for an actual US made item and supporting companies that consider that important. If I'm screwing a budget 302 together I'm probably going Scat unless quality drops even further. Should that occur or there be no other option is the only way I see myself ever sending Molnar money for China parts that expensive.

I can also tell you I turned down a set of Molnar rods at FERR on a generous discount for a cash sale. Now I considered it knowing they are nice pieces but I just couldn't do it, hence this thread....
Tom's beam design, as Brent said, is completely different than any other H beam. Again, his design, not the cookie cutter H beam like Scat, Eagle, Manley, Engine Pro, Cat, etc...all basically the same. Personally, I'm not so concerned about Chinese vs US. This is a little political, but my problem with Chinese products in America was the fact that they diluted the quality of the market, regardless of the cost, and there are companies that give no consideration to what cheap knockoffs do to the industry (like ProComp, now Speedmaster) but when a product is a quality product, frankly, I don't care where i comes from. Japan, China, Germany, Taiwan, Argentina, TimBuckTwo... makes no difference to me and Tom's parts are extremely high quality so I really don't care where they're made. JMO.
To add: I won't use a Scat rod out of the box, nor any other generic import rod. Loosen the bolts and tighten them again to torque, or better yet stretch, and see how round they are. I guarantee you they'll go out of round between half a thou to a full thou and they tighten up at the parting line. The ends are not machined, they're belt sanded and no where near flat or straight. Not the case with one of Tom's rods but those are the little details that not many know about or bother to check.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 10:02:15 PM by scott foxwell »

HvyFt4spd

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2018, 01:21:09 AM »
  Brent,

To clarify Scat quality varies and seems to have much more issues than in the past so in my eyes it very much is the case. For a time I worked at a shop that was a Scat dealer (RAM in Clinton Ohio) and another friend is the head machinist at the local VW shop(LA products in Akron) which is also a Scat dealer so I still see issues here and there. Most of the time he points them out as I rib him for using Empi knock off parts he says he has found to have less (obvious) issues. Nothing is perfect but for my money I have long learned to buy the best I can afford at the time. Generally Scat is my go to and I won't even consider anything below them but I have gotten bad parts.  Summit is also right up the road and I'm probably there once a week at least where it's not uncommon at all to find a blem crank or set of rods on the discount table.

My billet 3.4 SBF Scat crank came in the old shop with an undrilled/unfinished flange and the wrong size key way in the wrong spot. More recently my purchase of a forged 4.25 FE Scat crank I was assured was the best off the shelf crank available resulted in a flaking slag covered piece neither Scat nor the vendor who couldn't be reached saw fit to address which had it to be shotpeened and rebalanced. The 4.25 cast crank another FE guy here got in his "kit" is riddled with porosity. In that I'm referring to every unmachined area has 3/16" air pockets that hopefully are limited to just the surface. You certainly don't see display pieces that look like that and in my case it is more than enough to look to other suppliers when possible. So yes any part can be flawed at any cost/level but with this in mind I'm not interested in buying another Scat FE crank or rods no matter how much power they can handle etc. I'm looking for nicer parts for this.

Scott,
  I asked a simple question about availability of a nice US made set of rods. I'm not interested in dragging this into global economy politics. No matter how nice Molnar rods are in your opinion I don't want to spend my money on them. I have an old American car with an old American engine if for no other reason I consider it a touch cooler not to use China stuff to build it with.

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2018, 02:33:11 AM »
How about Carrillo? Sposedta be full US made.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carrillo-Connecting-Rods-Ford-390-427-428-FE-2-200-Crank-990-Pin-6-488-WMC/292334965186?hash=item44108591c2:g:CksAAOSwKIpWBTTx&vxp=mtr

Oliver are US made also. Maybe they could do a custom set?

Hate to say it, but if you want a US rod, you are gonna pay. A. LOT.
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86