Author Topic: POLL....Optima Battery, Yes or No ?  (Read 7904 times)

427HISS

• View Profile
POLL....Optima Battery, Yes or No ?
« on: April 20, 2018, 05:41:19 PM »
I do not know how to start a poll, but if a moderator or member does, please help me out and do so.

I'm seeing a great mixed of views of people who have great success, moderate views and they suck.
A friend tried using one in his dirt race car and had nothing good to say. He thought the Optima would handle the bumps, pot holes, rough track etc, but between that and it would not recharge after it drained down once. He went back to a regular battery, with NO issues.

I was ready to buy a red top and a very cool,...custom aluminum hold down that is made for the Optima, but I will wait now.

So, post your YES or NO opinion and explain why.

Bolted to Floor

• View Profile
Re: POLL....Optima Battery, Yes or No ?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 06:51:17 PM »
No, due to price.
John D -- 67 Mustang 390 5 speed

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 07:44:44 PM »
No, when I bought my enclosed car trailer, it already had a blue top Optima battery init, for running the winch, electric tongue jack, and 12 volt lights. I thought that my winch operated kinda weakly, and trying to charge the Optima with my "normal" battery charging accomplished little. Went on the Optima website, and discovered that standard charging practices do not work with Optima batteries. You either need to buy one of their $$$ Optima brand battery chargers or have an extra normal 12 volt battery to connect to the Optima, and then connect my battery charger to the wet cell battery. Since my trailer battery is rather hard to access, it was a pain to hook it all up like that, but even after doing so, the winch seemed a bit weak. Took out the Optima, installed a regular deep cycle battery, and no more problems. The winch works much better now than it ever did with the Optima, for about 1/3rd the price. I have also had very good service from DieHard batteries, 15 years out of the DieHard in my 74 F350, my 99 F350s DieHard is only 4 years old, but it cranks over the V10 with ease, even after sitting in the truck outside all winter without needing a charge.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

Katz427

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 07:55:48 PM »
 No.  And for the reason that they need to be recharged according to their ( Optima) instructions. I have never seen them last unless charged with a proper charger. A high amp output alternator usually harms them, and they never seem to recover to a full charge. IMO

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 07:59:41 PM »
With their great "name factor",  but having such bad reviews, how are they so popular ?
I'm now watching a race spondored by them. (sure you know what racing) and many other racing too.
I've used Die Hard and Interstate batteries for 35 years, with no or little issues.

427Fastback

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 08:29:06 PM »
I have had three red tops and had zero problems.Newest ones are 5 years old.....
1968 Mustang Fastback...427 MR 5spd (owned since 1977)
1967 Mustang coupe...Trans Am replica
1936 Diamond T 212BD
1990 Grizzly pick-up

rcodecj

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 10:10:14 PM »
You either love them or you hate them. I have them from 2 to 7 to 11 years old. I have never used a different charger on them. I have accidentally brought them down to nothing and still did not use the parallel method or any different charging method, or fancy charger or Optima charger. I don't own a fancy battery charger.  My "big" charger is a transformer and bridge rectifier I made myself and has no brains or electronic circuitry. They can be discharged to a lower voltage than regular batteries and still be ok. Maybe that causes some people problems? I have overcharged them accidentally too and it did not kill it. That's my experience and others have theirs. I'm okay with that.   ;D

Katz427

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2018, 05:55:27 AM »
I agree you either like the Optima or don't. I do have a 6 volt in the 1940 flathead. It is going on 5 years now, without problems.
That said I also have an Oddeyssey  AGM that is going on 5 years, no problems.
The reliability group at work tried the Optima on a group of Kubota diesel powered units. The results were mixed, mostly negative. Optima had made a recommendation about the alternator. It may be the Optima manufacturing process for the big variations in success or lack of. IMO

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2018, 06:40:27 AM »
Love 'em or hate them, for sure. Never had one and won't. I went, no kidding, 16 years on a parts store regular battery (Autozone) in my '70 Stang, driven admittedly only in warm weather here in suburban Chi-Town and it sits all Winter w/o even a tricke charger. Even with the many cars I've owned (over 25 and still counting!) I've rarely had issues with bad wet cell units, lucky I guess.

IMHO, it's a choice thing. But after hearing too many stories on once discharged, many Optima types doe not come back from the dead even with the special charger. I've also heard, although I don't know if it's true, that jumping a dead Optima after one is left stranded on the road, is not possible. Must yank it, field install a wet cell, and then restart. Anyone else hear this tale?
Bob Maag

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2018, 07:22:35 AM »
I run Optimas because as an old bodyman I don't like the acid or venting, too much rust repair fixed over the years.

I have never had a failure on one less than 8 years.  I did recently buy a "Genius" charger from Amazon after I went to fire the Mustang after sitting all winter and cranked slow and needed a jump (489 inches, 10.7:1, factory rebuilt starter installed in 1995) and it seems better than it ever was

I have heard good things about the other style AGMs, but what I do is look for coupon codes for Advance Auto, generally can find a 30% off, then order online, pickup in store.  Price drops significantly
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

JamesonRacing

• 1966 - What a great year for FOMOCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2018, 08:02:56 AM »
I have four 34R redtop Optima batteries in my cars.  Race car, street car, tow pickup, convertible.  Haven't had a bit of trouble with any of them.
1966 Fairlane GT, Silver Blue/Black 496/C4 (9.93@133)
1966 Fairlane GT, Nightmist Blue/Black 465/TKO (11.41@122)
1966 Fairlane GTA Conv, Antique Bronze/Black, 418EFI/C6
1966 F250 C/S, Rangoon Red, 445/T19
1965 Falcon Futura 4-door, Turquoise, EF! Z2363/4R70W

rcodecj

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2018, 08:18:40 AM »
Love 'em or hate them, for sure. Never had one and won't. I went, no kidding, 16 years on a parts store regular battery (Autozone) in my '70 Stang, driven admittedly only in warm weather here in suburban Chi-Town and it sits all Winter w/o even a tricke charger. Even with the many cars I've owned (over 25 and still counting!) I've rarely had issues with bad wet cell units, lucky I guess.

IMHO, it's a choice thing. But after hearing too many stories on once discharged, many Optima types doe not come back from the dead even with the special charger. I've also heard, although I don't know if it's true, that jumping a dead Optima after one is left stranded on the road, is not possible. Must yank it, field install a wet cell, and then restart. Anyone else hear this tale?

I had a yellow top 7 o 8 years old and I stopped at a  store. When I came out I went to start it and I heard a pop and it wouldn't start. I measured the voltage, been a while but I think it was ok when sitting but went way down when lights were on or when starting. I called a friend and we jumped the battery. It started right up and I drove home. I think that's the only one I've had fail. Most of the time they go with the car or truck I sell.

Having lived in extreme cold and extreme heat my experience is that the heat is much worse on batteries than cold for longevity.

Katz427

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2018, 08:31:23 AM »
Thinking back , I do remember that Optima , did say that the best way to recharge was at low amps, slow , as the rep put it. Also you could put a fair size charger on the battery if needed to get the unit started in a short period of time. However they advised that it was not a good idea, but in emergency. But no doubt some people have success with the Red top.

RJP

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2018, 02:50:26 PM »
No on the Optima...Too fussy and expensive for me. Since I have multipal vehicles price is an important and deciding  factor. I've been buying generic 750 CCA industrial, no frills, plain black case batteries from Traction [said to be owned by NAPA] These batteries were about $100.00 with exchange which is $25-35. cheaper than most of what  I've found at the chain stores. The oldest 'Traction' battery in service is about 4 years old with zero problems.

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2018, 04:51:16 PM »
A member likes the Odyssey's, I don't know anything about them. Can someone speak details ?

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2018, 09:50:27 PM »
I put an Optima redtop in my Lincoln LS about the same time I put a roll cage in it. A month later, on the starting line at an ECTA meet, the car died. We diagnosed a faulty alternator and replaced it by flashlight in the pits that night after a quick trip to town. The battery never was any good after that---wouldn't hold a charge. I emailed Optima and tried to ask some questions and couldn't even get the courtesy of a return message. As an old friend once said, "Scroom". I'm done. The best deal around seems to be the 'biggest & best' Costco has to offer. As I remember, about $85.00.

KS

Katz427

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2018, 05:55:19 PM »
I have an Odyssey battery in the 67 Ranchero. I just put a charge in it after sitting for 3 months. Looked and noticed that it is going on its eighth year of service.
They are AGM like the Optima, but use thin flat plates instead of spiral. I have a Ford 3G alternator. No problems and I have had to jump other cars at car shows. Cost is high around $200. But over 8 years, not so bad.

Posi67

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2018, 10:48:50 PM »
I've had pretty good results with the Red Top Optima. Seem to last about 5 years in my race car with no special treatment although the one I bought last summer seems to need more charging than the previous ones. I like them for the car because you don't need a special vented battery box in the trunk. I think my first one was good for another 3 years in my daily driver although I suspect my current Optima may be my last. They just don't make 'em like they used to comes to mind.

TomP

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2018, 11:44:34 PM »
My Optima red top is 17 years old! I first used a Ford tractor battery to be like a real TBolt but that thing died in a year or so. I don't think it liked harsh acceleration. I bought the Optima and ran it with no alternator for a year, with fuel problems that often meant cranking several minutes and even had the alternator to battery cable short on the headers and start a fire. It's been in use in my old Meteor wagon and was often used in my Ranger and the Mark 7 LSC, each time i'd keep it and sell the car with another battery. It has sat for months and years at a time. Been run dead hundreds of times. I will be using it again and again until it gives up.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 12:30:16 PM by TomP »

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2018, 05:42:06 AM »
Wow, that has to be the longest lived Optima I've ever heard of. Amazing!

My Optima red top is 17 years old! I first used a Ford tractor battery to be like a real TBolt but that thing died in a year or so. I don't think it liked harsh acceleration. I bought the Optima and ran in with alternator for a year, with fuel problems that often meant cranking several minutes and even had the alternator to battery cable short on the headers and start a fire. It's been in use in my old Meteor wagon and was often used in my Ranger and the Mark 7 LSC, each time i'd keep it and sell the car with another battery. It has sat for months and years at a time. Been run dead hundreds of times. I will be using it again and again until it gives up.
Bob Maag

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2018, 10:12:35 AM »
I have one I bought in 2003.
I changed it two years ago just because I thought it was old.  I replaced it with another AGM battery.
The optima is currently the shop battery, It goes around to various sites to fire up engines that I need to work on.

Only care I've ever performed has been hooking up to an optima charge once a month when I get home and disconnecting the battery when I leave for a month.  Same thing I do with every battery I own.

TomP

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2018, 12:33:11 PM »
I've never had an Optima charger, mine has been charged only with ordinary chargers, usually under 10 amp.

Supposedly newer Optimas are not as good.

badcatt

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2018, 01:03:53 PM »
My first Red top Optima lasted over 8 years. I replaced it with another. But in my other car I waned a more stock looking battery and went with one from NAPA. It is only 2 months old so no idea how it will live.

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2018, 02:42:01 PM »
My current AGM battery in my 63.5 Galaxie:

battery by Drew Pojedinec, on Flickr

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2018, 03:20:32 PM »
Hahahaha that battery reminds me when i was a kid i got
this fantastic idea to collect  those colloful battery lids
Tudor had Red, Noak was puple,some was yellow
Any way i found this lot of batterys in the forrest
and uscrew the lids and put them in my pockets
My mother was real happy with my new found hobby ;D ;D
that ate up my pockets

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

gdaddy01

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2018, 09:04:52 PM »
that is funny .   got holes in my pockets

babybolt

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2018, 11:27:58 AM »
My first red top Optima lasted somewhere around 13 years or more.  The second one died after a couple of years.  Sometime before I had bought the second battery the company was sold and the quality took a downturn.

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2018, 12:35:38 PM »
Anyone else using the Odyssey ?

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2018, 06:44:33 PM »
back in the 80s i liked those 12 inch diehards.i drove my comet to work back then and i drove to work one morning and i left my lights on all day.8 1/2 hours.i got in my comet,turned off my headlights,and the old 390 with a big 12 inch diehard cranked right up after the lights being on all day.i bought a red top optima in 2012,no problems yet,and i like the looks of them better than conventional too.
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

hbstang

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2018, 06:07:14 PM »
i have a couple of the red tops,one is fine maybe 6 years old,the other is a little over 3 years old and has been a pos and never really would hold a charge.dont know if they would warranty it or not.charge it with the optima charger over and over,but wont last a week.no more for me.

billtroth

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2018, 09:34:45 PM »
I've had a yellow top in my Galaxie NSS car for over 10 years.  When I bought an enclosed trailer two years ago I put it in the trailer for the lights and winch.  Still working fine.  I bought a new red top for the race car and so far so good with it.
Bill Troth
Aftershock427
1964 Galaxie NNS

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2018, 10:26:11 AM »
No.  Expensive and not as reliable as they were 10~15 years ago.  I use AGM batteries from Sams CLub - 3 yr warranty, easy return.  The one in the dragster was about $165.  I have a Red top sitting on the floor - it's 4 years old and requires a boost between rounds.  I pulled the AGM out of the dragster and put that in the Falcon.  I can now leave the battery charger in the trailer.

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2018, 02:10:51 PM »
Bill, how did you fair Saturday?  I didn't get to come back up to you and see if you got the car running.  I saw the trailer door up so I know it was loaded.
Larry

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2018, 02:25:46 PM »
My Optima red top is 17 years old!

I've had two - one go 11 (bought 2004) the other 14 (bought 2001).  I can just about guarantee your next one will not do that.  I have a no-name battery in the F-350 that is warranty stamped "1999" - I would not expect it's eventual replacement to live anywhere near that long. 
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 02:27:58 PM by Falcon67 »

FB

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2018, 02:49:16 PM »
i have been using Interstate AGM series, been in the car 7 years now, had to charge it once, used napa charger with deep cycle circuit.
recharged fully no issues
Fred

billtroth

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2018, 08:22:35 PM »
Larry,

Nope, I did not get the car running.  Its still in the trailer and I have not had a chance ( a lot of bad weather here) yet.
Bill Troth
Aftershock427
1964 Galaxie NNS

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2018, 01:30:02 PM »
Bummer.   We're just starting to get warmer weather around here, but lots of rain storms blowing through too.  Welcome to spring....finally?
I did get my other transmission installed in the car, so I'm ready for Memorial weekend first stick race.
Larry

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2018, 03:41:40 PM »
i have been using Interstate AGM series, been in the car 7 years now, had to charge it once, used napa charger with deep cycle circuit.
recharged fully no issues

I did not know Interstate had a AMG battery. I'll check them out. I won't buy a Optima now, and looking into Odyssey's.