Author Topic: Trailer Tires  (Read 5346 times)

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Trailer Tires
« on: March 18, 2018, 11:15:09 AM »
I'm looking at buying an enclosed car trailer.  Having heard lots of horror stories regarding trailer tires, like changing blown tires at the side of the freeway, etc., I thought I'd do a little research on this.  What I am finding is a whole bunch of conflicting information.  What are your experiences?  What I am hearing so far is summarized below:

- ST type trailer tires have a stiffer sidewall and are rated for heavier loads than passenger car or light truck tires, so they come standard on new trailers.  I've read where they should be replaced every 3-5 years, and you don't ever want to run them under-inflated.   A lot of people seem to hate the ST tires, because they claim they fail easily and early.  There are quite a few reports of these tires failing in about 1000 miles, and I've also read that all of the radial trailer tires are now made in China.  These people will recommend a light truck or passenger car tire rather than an ST trailer tire, say they pull better and last longer. 

- All the new trailers seem to come with 15" wheels and tires, but a couple people I know say that 15" trailer tires are junk, and that I should upgrade to 16" tires because they are much better.

Your thoughts?
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

KMcCullah

• View Profile
Re: Trailer Tires
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 12:02:15 PM »
I think most peoples issues with trailer tires stem from being under inflated. The under inflated issue is compounded by the tire having to run at or damn close to it's designed weight rating a lot of the time.

My old ghettocamper had 15" Goodyear trailer tires. The same as most U-Haul trailers. I kept them pumped up to their max psi. Never ran faster than 65. And they ran hot as hell! Because the camper when fully loaded weighed almost the same as the weight rating for all four tires.

My fifth wheel toy hauler is a different case. It weighs 14500lbs fully loaded and has 16" tires with heavy axles. 8 on 6 1/2 bolt pattern wheels. I put four 14 ply equipment trailer tires on it and keep them pumped up to their max (110psi). They run much cooler than the 15's did. Because their combined weight rating is a lot more than 14500lbs.

I don't let the age of the tire bother me. If I buy them new, and way above my max weight. And keep them pumped up to their max rating, I'm confident they'll last until the tread is nearly gone. In the summertime desert always.
Kevin McCullah

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 01:17:08 PM »
I'll let the others speak about longevity, as I've only had my trailer about 3 years now but haven't had any issues with the stock but 'upgraded' trailer tires I bought with it. Not sure of mileage, maybe roughly 4500, but about 75 hrs driving time between 2 Drag Weeks and 2 FE Reunions. One thing I've learned from my local tire guy, who I've dealt with a lot over the years, is he almost always recommends slightly over-inflating tires to get maximum life out of them. Under-inflating is the biggest issue with darn near every tire and I'd imagine that to be an even bigger issue on enclosed trailers where the tire is going to be pretty much at its max load.

One piece of good advice that I got from Don Fotti that I'll pass on is to carry TWO spares. I took that advice to heart after hearing a couple of his stories.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 01:51:17 PM »
Not a answer to your question but You seems to have a big problem
with exploding tires.  At home i seldom see an exploded tire at the
roadside but the times i have been to USA i have noticed the big
amount of exploded tires at the side of the road ???
Maybe the warmer weather or more traffic just leave more explode tires
But i drive a lot and i see maybe 2 exploded truck tires a year

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Posi67

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 02:11:11 PM »
I've yet to loose a 15" trailer tire on my 24' enclosed. Had them on for 10 years and recently replaced them with the same Maxiss tire. Probably should have upgraded one step in load rating but I don't overload my trailer. Air pressure is the big thing and make sure your wheels don't have the rubber press fit valve stems. They aren't high pressure rated and can spit out if the tire gets hot.

As to Heo's question, I think a lot of the tire debris on the roads here is due to re-tread tires coming apart. Most sane truckers won't run them on the tractor (some do) but plenty get used on trailer axels.

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 04:08:24 PM »
I have only owned my enclosed car trailer (24" Wells Cargo "Auto Wagon") for 4 years, so I don`t have lots of experiance with trailers at this point. My trailer has full aluminum checkerplate floor, upper & lower cabinets and work bench,awning, left side door etc, and with the car, tools, generator, compressor, fuel, water, and all the other stuff that typically goes into the trailer, my trailer is normally between 8500-9000 pounds. My trailer has 5200 pound torsion arm axles, which allows for a lower floor height than leaf springs, and supposedly a much smoother ride. These axles use 6 stud 15 " wheels, with ST 225/75R15 tires. The trailer came new with Goodyear Marathon trailer tires, but by the time I bought the trailer in 2014, it had a set of Chinese Gladiator ST trailer tires, with lots of tread, but were 5 years old.The Gladiators were Load Range E (10 ply rating), and since they looked great, I left them on, and ran them at 75 PSI (sidewall  claims 80 PSI max). I normally only put about 2 or 3000 miles a year towing to races, the furthest is about 700 miles, a longer haul, especially in a hot climate is suppossedly much harder on trailer tires. I did have a trailer tire blow out last summer, I didn`t even know until somebody drove up beside me waving their arms and yelling. It was the RF tire, and the leg for the awning blocks the view of the trailer tires on that side. The tire was completely shredded, but luckily did not rip off the fender, or tear the aluminum siding off, although the side of my white trailer did have a lot of black marks from the tire flapping around. This happened about 3 1/2 hours from home, and my spare was the original Goodyear that came with the trailer when new. It had never been used, but was 15 years old, so I drove home pretty slow & carefull. Like Jay said, lots of opinions about trailer tires, some guys said to switch to 16s, and use a 235/85R16 truck tire, others  said 15s OK, but use LT tires, others to use the same type tires as factory, and replace them every 5 years. I did look into the 16s, although trailers sold with 16s normally have 8 lug wheels, you can buy 16" wheels with 6 stud, but in my case, the axle spacing and height of the inner fenders, there simply was not enough room for that tall of tire. After doing more research , I chose to buy 4 new 10 ply Maxxis ST trailer tires, and use my original wheels. At the time, I was unaware that trailer tires normally require special high pressure valve stems, when I bought the trailer, it had had regular valve stems installed when the Gladiator tires went on. I also found out that ST tires are speed rated to a max of 65 MPH. When I towed empty up to Kamloops, to pick up my 59 Ford from paint, I was hitting 80 MPH, so that may or may not have contributed to the tire failure. The Maxxis tires seemed to have the best reviews for a ST tire, and DalePs Pace trailer came new with Maxxis, and he used them for 10 years. But Jay.if you are going to order a new trailer, I would seriously consider getting the 16" wheels & tires.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 04:13:54 PM by Rory428 »
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 05:24:43 PM »
Goodyear G614 16 inch commercial tires.
That is the tire the RV and utility guys go with once they get tired of replacing Chinese junk on the side of the road.

sixty9cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 08:45:48 PM »
The only issue I see is that they don't seem to balance trailer tires. I had an aluminum ATV 6x12 and the tires wore right out. I had new tires put on and I noticed they weren't balanced I asked why. The gentlemen said you don't balance trailer tires! My response was your going to balance these! I also have an 18' v nose snowmobile trailer and the tires are 7 yrs old the only issue so far was that one tire flat spotted due to frozen brakes. The rims are rotting out so it's time for rims and tires off eBay.

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2018, 09:25:02 PM »
Whatever you decide, please don't buy a trailer that uses mobile home axles and tires.  Those tires and axles are junk for the most part.  I had a gooseneck with those axles, and always had issues with holding air, balance problems, and brakes not working properly.  My other trailers since that time have had at least 8-10 ply tires that run 90-110 psi, and no issues.  I use a 750 lb Reese anti-sway bar hitch, with no swaying problems and it helps level any load you may add to the trailer.  I never trust the bumper hitch, even though some do, and run a frame mounted hitch rated for the truck's maximum towing capability.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2018, 10:52:01 PM »
Not sure why anybody would think trailer tires would not need balancing, like any other tire. I certainly balanced mine when I mounted them. As far as trailer tire sizes, I always wonder why the trailer manufacturers use such small tires. My trailer with the 6 lug 5200 lb (each) axles uses ST 225/75R15, and some enclosed car trailer only have 3500 pound axles, with 5 stud drums, and 205/75-15 tires. That is a pretty small tire, my wifes Toyota Corolla is only 1 size smaller (195/70R15), and even the 225s are only marginally larger. My 10 ply Maxxis ST tires are rated at2830 pounds per tire, but only when run at max pressure (80 psi). Thats a total of 11,300 pounds combined, which seems like not a huge safety margin for a trailer rated at 10,000 pounds max capacity, especially when you consider bumps, potholes and that the reality of all 4 tires  carrying the exact same weight.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2018, 11:53:14 AM »
My.02.   Age and speed take their toll on trailer tires.   I used to put only GY Marathons my trailer.  6 years is all I can get before they start coming apart.  I now put Chinese trailer tires and get maybe 5 yrs? (at less then 1/2 of GY price).  I can handle that.  My trailer is a 1997, so I've had 4 sets of tires on it so far.  I replace them all at once and restart the clock on them.  Though if you only use it a few times a year that can be a bit much.  I use mine weekly so I get fair mileage out of them, though you will NEVER wear one out before it blows up.

I run 65 mph(give or take). I keep them aired up to 65 psi.  That is one thing, get the highest rated tires(D minimum).  Watch your turning radius as scrubbing the tires hard till beat the sidewalls up and typically the only thing that fails on trailer tires is the tread falls off(or sidewall gives out and then the tread falls off).

I've changed my trailer tires myself and not balanced them.   Typically when my buddy does them for me they do get balanced.
Larry

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2018, 12:01:50 PM »
Buy 65 MPH rated ST tires, never weigh your load, forget to check the pressure, run down the road at 75+, then bitch about how the tires come apart.

We ran ST225s on the 24' box, pulling around 8600 lbs.  I pull at 64~66 MPH and only had a problem after running over a piece of metal in a fuel station parking lot.  The big trailer (34' Continental Cargo) runs on ST 235/80R16s Load Rating E.  I do not remember the speed rating but only pull that beast at 65 anyway LOL.  I check them for air every other race - 80 lbs inflated. The box is rated at 14,400 GWVR and right now is running maybe 11,500 loaded.  Normally with the dragster we should be under 10.5K.  The trailer - bath package, full insulation, etc weights 8560 empty. 

In contrast, the Maxie 18' car hauler came with 235-75x15 car tires, rated at 7000 (dual 3500 lbs axles). 

I drag my stuff to Discount Tire
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 01:41:06 PM by Falcon67 »

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2018, 01:40:02 PM »
Living in the colder parts of the country, it's always a good idea to take the wheels off and store them inside in the winter. Sitting all winter long in freezing temps with 6000-7000 lbs parked on them is not exactly good for longevity either. It may be a pain to jack up, block and stabilize the trailer, but I think it beats having a couple failures when running down the interstate when you THINK your tires should be fine. JMO
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2018, 02:40:09 PM »
Winter doesn't mean much here, besides I don't have a jack with enough kick to lift even one corner of this beast LOL.  Throw some RV antifreeze in the tanks and drains, put the water heater on luke warm, blow out the lines and walk away. 
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 02:42:30 PM by Falcon67 »

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2018, 03:13:27 PM »
My buddy bought me some Harbor Freight tire covers.  I put them on 24/7 while parked in the drive.   I think that helps the sidewalls from UV/drying out.

Though I still will just put new on every 5 yrs and call it good.  Few bucks today...........instead of laying on the side of road at 1am changing a tire.
Larry

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2018, 06:19:28 PM »
Winter doesn't mean much here...

I think things may be a bit different in Minnesota  ;D
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

chris401

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2018, 10:08:02 PM »
Toyo and Cooper have a stiffer wall than Uniroyal, Goodyear and Michelin. My preference is Cooper. Many good responses concerning max inflation. I would buy the stock 235/85R16 LT, load range E, for my truck and would cycle the used truck tires to the trailer. Not likely that senerio would work on an enclosed trailer.

chris401

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2018, 10:12:15 PM »
Whatever you decide, please don't buy a trailer that uses mobile home axles and tires.  Those tires and axles are junk for the most part.  I had a gooseneck with those axles, and always had issues with holding air, balance problems, and brakes not working properly.  My other trailers since that time have had at least 8-10 ply tires that run 90-110 psi, and no issues.  I use a 750 lb Reese anti-sway bar hitch, with no swaying problems and it helps level any load you may add to the trailer.  I never trust the bumper hitch, even though some do, and run a frame mounted hitch rated for the truck's maximum towing capability.  Joe-JDC
Did your dad have you hauling tractors and hay with a mobile home axle gooseneck trailer? Sounds familiar those rims were bad about poping off when making a loaded corner.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 10:16:01 PM by chris401 »

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2018, 08:40:12 AM »

I think things may be a bit different in Minnesota  ;D

That's a "I'm sure"   ;D  But in summer, sure is pretty up there.  Been in that general area several times, can say Indian words like "Minnetonka" and "Menomonee Falls".

TJ

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2018, 02:51:08 PM »

- ST type trailer tires have a stiffer sidewall and are rated for heavier loads than passenger car or light truck tires, so they come standard on new trailers.  I've read where they should be replaced every 3-5 years, and you don't ever want to run them under-inflated.   A lot of people seem to hate the ST tires, because they claim they fail easily and early.  There are quite a few reports of these tires failing in about 1000 miles, and I've also read that all of the radial trailer tires are now made in China.  These people will recommend a light truck or passenger car tire rather than an ST trailer tire, say they pull better and last longer. 

- All the new trailers seem to come with 15" wheels and tires, but a couple people I know say that 15" trailer tires are junk, and that I should upgrade to 16" tires because they are much better.

Your thoughts?

To keep a long story short, I pretty much agree with the above.  I switched my trailer tires from 15" ST's to 16" LT's and very glad I did.  The 16" LT tires have greater safety margin for load and speed rating.  There is also a much larger selection of 16" LT's than there is 15" ST's.  Lot of the heavier trailers and campers come with 16" LT's.

If I was only poking around the county on local roads, I'd likely stay with the 15" ST's.  But for flying down the interstate/out of state, I feel better with 16" LT's.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 02:59:28 PM by TJ »

CDXXVII

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2018, 06:04:26 PM »
How many wheel bolt patterns are there? Are the bolt patterns based upon axle load rating? Is switching from 15" five lug to 16" five lug as simple as buying wheels and tires?

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2018, 06:25:06 PM »
I think by now I've run well over 100K miles pulling a few different enclosed trailers.  If you are buying a new unit and can spec it out, order 8000 lb axles.  The outer bearing is the weak spot on the lesser axles.  The 8K stuff with bigger brakes and bearings will be your friend long-term.  They will have 16" wheels.  I have one trailer that has the same size tires as my dually, and like Chris said, I run them new on the truck for 20,000 or so and put them on the trailer.  When I do it again, I just throw the trailer set away.  I started doing that in 2004 and have never lost another tire.  I use Michelins.  On my short trailer, I use the Goodyears.  Sidewalls will go way before the tread wears down.
Blair Patrick

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2018, 01:31:00 AM »
How many wheel bolt patterns are there? Are the bolt patterns based upon axle load rating? Is switching from 15" five lug to 16" five lug as simple as buying wheels and tires?
I am not aware of any 5 lug trailer wheels made for 16" tires. The common lug patterns are 5 stud 15" on the 3500 Lb axles, 6 stud 15" on the 5200 LB axles, and 8 stud 16 " on the 8000 LB axles. My 15" 6 stud 5200 LB Dexter torsion bar axles have much larger brake drums that a 3500 LB axle, I imagine the 8000 axles are even larger. I have never had any issues with wheel bearings on my 6 stud axles, but I know several guys with the 3500 LB 5 stud axles that have had wheel bearings burn up, and in at least 1 case, the damage was bad enough that he needed to purchase a new axle. Although the 8000 LB axles are really beffy, they are also a bunch heavier. A fair compromise, if ordering a new trailer, is to specify the 5000 LB 6stud axles, with 16" wheels and tires. A buddy did that on his trailer, so the trailer was built with them in mind, so they fit fine, but a downside is the tires are at least 2" taller, so that raises the trailer floor by at least that amount, which means a steeper incline on the rear door, and a more severe "breakover" angle into the dek, which can be a pain with low hanging headers and oil pans. I would think that the majority of trailer tire failures are on rigs that regularily haul very long distances, in hot weather. I know a couple of Super Stock racers who have had blowouts even with 16" LT tires, but they often tow to races over 2000 miles away, in 100+ degree summer temps, stopping only for food, fuel and bathroom breaks.

Leny Mason

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2018, 07:57:43 AM »
Jay you are vary handy if it were me I would put Low Boy trailer tires on it they last way longer than any other trailer tires. Leny Mason