Poll

Should some non-FE Forums be added to this message board?

No, leave it FE only
42 (75%)
Yes, add forums for any different type of Ford engine
9 (16.1%)
Yes, add a forum for Y-Blocks, MELs, and Lincoln Ys
2 (3.6%)
Yes, add a forum for Small Block Fords and Clevelands
1 (1.8%)
Yes, add a forum for 385 Big Blocks
2 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Author Topic: More Forums?  (Read 6978 times)

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
More Forums?
« on: March 18, 2018, 09:03:06 AM »
Over the last couple years I've had some requests to add forums to this board covering different types of Ford engines.  I'm really only interested in the FE, and it seems a little odd to me that the FE Power site would host a forum about a different engine, but if others here want to see forums for other types of Ford engines I'd be open to adding them.  The same rules would apply to the other forums as already apply to the existing ones, but different moderators would be running the other forums.  Let me know what you think via the poll above, and any responses to this thread.  Thanks, Jay
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

fekbmax

• View Profile
Re: More Forums?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 09:07:32 AM »
I say keep it focused on the Fe. Let links to other Ford engine sites be shared to those that need but I for one would like to see this place stay FE. JMO.
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 09:13:41 AM »
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Besides, you have enough to do Jay.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

cattleFEeder

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 09:15:05 AM »
I have a couple of 351C and 3 429s besides to 2 Fe engines, cant have enough ford info in my opinion.
Remember, RPM is your friend

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 09:26:51 AM »
Another vote for FE only, but I have often wished that there would be a sub-forum for posting Ford car stuff for sale that may not be entirely FE related. I've wanted to sell my '53 Ford truck and other cars and parts that generally aren't specific to FE's, but know some guys on here may be interested. I don't want to join other forums just for selling stuff, I spend enough time here, and there I'd be a "newbie" that nobody would know or wonder if I could be trusted.

The other forum has always been a good place for selling cars and various Ford parts, but here the rules state "Only FE related ads allowed". I know that gets ignored at times, but I generally try to follow the rules as you've made them.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 10:06:09 AM »
I voted for "all" Jay. It would be very gracious of you to do so. Some of the other Ford forums are not nearly as good as yours, save Brent's, John's and the 'new' Cleveland and 'new' FE forum. Many of the others are pretty raw, have meaningful but quite in the wrong posters giving out erronoeus information. Peruse some other flaming forums like Yellow Bullet before you decide on any action and you'll see what I mean! 
Bob Maag

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 10:10:58 AM »
Love all Ford but FE only for me. I like the slow thoughtful nature of this forum.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 11:57:45 AM »
I also vote to leave it FE only. There are plenty of other sites for the "other" Ford motors but very few dedicated to FEs and even fewer still that provide good info like this one.

FElony

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2018, 12:46:11 PM »
I went for SBF and Cleves, as "any Ford engines" is ambiguous, and could mean 4's, 6's, mods, or diesels. A better choice would have been "classic V8's".

FElony

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2018, 12:53:26 PM »
I also vote to leave it FE only. There are plenty of other sites for the "other" Ford motors but very few dedicated to FEs and even fewer still that provide good info like this one.

You know any real good site for SBF's?

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2018, 01:01:01 PM »
We already have a Non-FE section for offtopic and non-fe discussions.
We already have a members projects section for ummm members projects

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2018, 02:26:29 PM »
I'm interested i all kind of engines even those orange brand X from Gambia Motors
Aero engines, Odd old racing engines etc etc but...I don't know. This forum is one of
the few forums that not every question turns in to a pissing match  or where there
is a almighty good that you must obey even if he tells that water runs upstream
otherwise the rest of the forum turns up at your house with pitchforks and torches
So i dont know if thats beacuse the FE people or what?

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

plovett

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2018, 02:38:53 PM »
I voted to add a forum for any non-fe engine, but I think the already existing non-fe forum section can do that.

JMO,

paulie

428 GALAXIE

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2018, 03:23:15 PM »
Two posts above took words out of my fingers  ::)
And this is great forum nice people and iformative discussion.
Mikko

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2018, 04:29:47 PM »
Although I have raced Y Blocks and 351Cs in the distant past, and currently have a low 10 second 331  SBFord, I would prefer this forum, and the other FE forum, to stay "FE only". There are plenty of other forums that cater to the other Ford engines, no need to dilute the good info that the FE forums focus on. Yeah, adding other engine families here would likely increase post counts, but I vote for quality of posts than the quantity.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

Katz427

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2018, 04:56:02 PM »
The forum is nice as is. One can ask a question pertaining to anything else in the non- FE discussion world.  I never joined the old N54 forum because it always seemed somebody was getting into a lengthy argument about something, most times irrelevant. I can sort out BS most of the time, and one gets to know who really has the good information.
Jay and Everybody does a nice job on this site providing information and keeping it civil.

FElony

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2018, 06:54:50 PM »
While it is true that talk about other engines can exist in the non-FE forum, do you really want to mix that in with some droll, dimwit douchebag incessantly yammering about mind-expanding pastry, excrement-pitching simians, and upscale, flat-plain domiciles? No, you don't. So there are two answers. Let's take the easy one.

Remember: the smart ones never get caught. Peace.

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2018, 08:06:17 PM »
I’m all for keeping it FE only. There are other forums if someone needs them. This forum is run well
And you can almost always get the right answer. There are some of the big guys here that build small blocks and Clevelands and if someone needs info they can be called and talked to. Someone said if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2018, 08:11:59 PM »
While it is true that talk about other engines can exist in the non-FE forum, do you really want to mix that in with some droll, dimwit douchebag incessantly yammering about mind-expanding pastry, excrement-pitching simians, and upscale, flat-plain domiciles? No, you don't. So there are two answers. Let's take the easy one.

Remember: the smart ones never get caught. Peace.

I vote for keeping it FE only.  God forbid we attract the likes of SBFelony, Y-Belony, or (yikes!) MELony!

In this case, more is not better  ::)
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2018, 06:42:24 AM »
Yeah Bill, I forgot about the ever-odious BBQstang, the cat man. Racially active with fellow screamers on Yellow Bullet!
Bob Maag

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2018, 07:53:14 AM »
you already have NON FE discussion forum , it worked perfect for my 71 Mustang 429 rear spoiler project

Lenz

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2018, 09:34:30 AM »
It ain't broke so don't fix it IMO.  I feel a main reason this forum is very good is that it isn't trying to be everything to everyone.  Anyone who visits knows the subject matter or knows this is the place to come to get the answers they need.  As others have said, the Non-FE Discussion Forum handles the rest quite well.
Len Zielinski
'64 Galaxie 500 445 Toploader
'69 F100 300 stick

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2018, 10:10:13 AM »

You know any real good site for SBF's?

This was the only one I know of and who knows where it goes as Network 54 moves along - http://www.network54.com/Forum/119417  It's pretty slow as is.  There is a Facebook group - that one in marginal, some tech and a lot of "FB Air Head" type posts.  There is also Ford Muscle, which I dropped out of years ago.

I dunno, you could put in maybe a "Other pre-1980 Ford" type engine forum just to separate out those questions that other members might be able to answer.  Lots of things cross over in terms of support but like the FE some things are rather specific.  289~351W is very similar, 351C is somewhat different but maybe not enough to separate it out. 

The 351C has a couple of active tech forums. 
http://the351cforum.com
http://351c.net

There is also the 385 Forum for the 429/460 which is a good resource.  http://www.460ford.com/forum/
I think same with the Y block - http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Default.aspx
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 10:15:19 AM by Falcon67 »

chris401

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2018, 02:58:19 PM »
I say keep it focused on the Fe. Let links to other Ford engine sites be shared to those that need but I for one would like to see this place stay FE. JMO.
Same

482supersnake

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2018, 04:41:32 PM »
I voted for another sub for all Ford engines other than FE's just because some of the smartest engine people from around the country come here. I visit a bunch of different sites and know if I had a question about another Ford engine someone here would be able to give an intelligent answer. FE's are also my first love but I like all forms of power.

babybolt

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2018, 07:38:11 PM »
If your going to add another subtopic, add an "events" forum.  Examples within the forum would be Beaver Springs, 50th Anniversary, etc.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2018, 08:09:38 PM »
Well, I think the verdict is in, we will keep the existing forum structure.  I do want to emphasize that any non-FE questions are welcome in the Non-FE discussion forum, and that certainly includes questions or comments about other Ford engines.  Thanks for taking the time to weigh in on this - Jay
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

FElony

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2018, 09:01:14 PM »
Well, I think the verdict is in, we will keep the existing forum structure.  I do want to emphasize that any non-FE questions are welcome in the Non-FE discussion forum, and that certainly includes questions or comments about other Ford engines.  Thanks for taking the time to weigh in on this - Jay

Yep, like the SBF Intake Mod thread posted right there in the sacrosanct FE Tech subforum, unmoved by the forum owner and no mention to the OP as to his mistake. Long live the verdict!!

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2018, 09:58:23 AM »
Jay runs a good shop here - it's appreciated.  I come here a lot and currently don't even have an FE in the house.  Good discussions can apply to more than one engine family.  Smokey said "Engine doesn't know what name is on the valve covers".

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2018, 11:46:57 AM »
Jay runs a good shop here - it's appreciated.

^^^ This, x2.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

FElony

« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2018, 12:35:54 PM »
Jay runs a good shop here - it's appreciated.  I come here a lot and currently don't even have an FE in the house.  Good discussions can apply to more than one engine family.  Smokey said "Engine doesn't know what name is on the valve covers".

I'm surprised you missed the point, Mr. Kelly, considering I was trying to get SBF discussion introduced here. Please reread the thread. Thank you.

FElony

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2018, 12:49:00 PM »
Jay runs a good shop here - it's appreciated.

^^^ This, x2.

I won't argue this, but why wasn't that thread moved to non-FE right after Jay and several other people said that's where it would belong, and let's leave the FE spot for FE's only? The timing is ironic, no? Why is it I have to actually explain this? Am I the only lucid individual left in these forums? Are you guys eating soy products and viewing Buzzfeed behind my back? Have Jay's chickens beaten the pluck out of him? Will he ever re-"coop"?

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2018, 01:22:05 PM »
Felony, the question related more to the divider in the intake and so would definitely apply to a similar FE manifold.  In fact I have a Blue Thunder medium riser intake that I put slots in so I could test it with the different plenum divider configurations.  As such, to me it was FE related. 
Jay Brown

FElony

« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2018, 01:55:59 PM »
FElony, the question related more to the divider in the intake and so would definitely apply to a similar FE manifold.  In fact I have a Blue Thunder medium riser intake that I put slots in so I could test it with the different plenum divider configurations.  As such, to me it was FE related.

You're right. I missed all those posts mentioning the similarities between the intake in question and FE intakes, including your BTMR. My bad.

FElony

« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2018, 06:27:43 PM »
FElony, the question related more to the divider in the intake and so would definitely apply to a similar FE manifold.  In fact I have a Blue Thunder medium riser intake that I put slots in so I could test it with the different plenum divider configurations.  As such, to me it was FE related.

You're right. I missed all those posts mentioning the similarities between the intake in question and FE intakes, including your BTMR. My bad.

And, I bet you're dying to know when I'm going to point out that nobody has told the newbie with the '67 Fairlane that his "bottleneck" thread belongs in the FE Tech subforum. Am I making a point here? Can I ever stop being a PIA? Will I soon suspend my posting privileges? Did I hack into your admin root level? Will my keyboard ever run out of question marks?