Author Topic: Hey Brent (or anybody). On Morel's drop in hydro rollers for a SBF Windsor....  (Read 1397 times)

machoneman

• View Profile
Morel recommends no more than a 5W-40 oil with their drop-in lifters. I'll guess heavier oils interfere with correct plunger operation.

Does this recommendation also apply to the OEM Ford SBF hydro rollers (valley spyder/link bars)?
If I switched to Morel's (or similar drop-ins) can I re-use my current current pushrods?

http://www.flowtechinduction.com/morel-sbf-hlt-link-bar-hydraulic-roller/

I'm looking to increase my rpm range by doing so yet wonder just how much I could gain by using drop-ins. Or maybe I'm better off going to beehives and a tit. small button retainer.
Bob Maag

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
I use 10W-30 mostly with the Morel stuff.  I haven't had any issues with that viscosity. 

To my knowledge, I haven't ran the OEM lifters with heavier viscosity than that either.

Pushrod lengths will be different between the OEM and link bar lifters.  They're even different between brands of link bars....

If you want to increase the rpm range, I'd use your OEM lifters since they're lighter, and switch to a very small OD valve spring and tool steel or titanium retainer. 

If you're not experiencing any valve float issues and just running out of rpm, you may need more camshaft.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

machoneman

• View Profile
Thank you much! Thought the link bars were lighter. Yes, I'll investigate both of your recommendations.  :)

I use 10W-30 mostly with the Morel stuff.  I haven't had any issues with that viscosity. 

To my knowledge, I haven't ran the OEM lifters with heavier viscosity than that either.

Pushrod lengths will be different between the OEM and link bar lifters.  They're even different between brands of link bars....

If you want to increase the rpm range, I'd use your OEM lifters since they're lighter, and switch to a very small OD valve spring and tool steel or titanium retainer. 

If you're not experiencing any valve float issues and just running out of rpm, you may need more camshaft.
Bob Maag