Author Topic: Help me get 700hp out of a 482  (Read 12352 times)

N2950H

• View Profile
Re: Help me get 700hp out of a 482
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2018, 06:33:46 PM »
If you live near Georgia/Florida, stop by.... we'll go for a ride :P  even with my 525? hp 447ci engine traction makes it to where I don't think any more power would be terribly useful without prepped pavement and competition tires.

Really appreciate the offer, but I'm in Seattle.  Womp womp.

N2950H

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2018, 06:40:05 PM »
I must say that I get amused by posts shopping for flow numbers or horsepower. I am NOT against them...they just make me smile.

Rarely does someone post "what do I gott'a do to run 12's or 11's or whatever in my Fairlane". I get the feeling this is what's beeing asked, but the poster doesn't really know it.

If you have been mess'n 'round with 350 HP small blocks, which by the way is plenty fun, an 11 second FE powered car will be a riot for you. Not many driven cars can really run that number.

Recipe for an 11 second streeter? A stock stroke 427 will do it, but a 454 incher does it better. A .600 lift solid flat tappet cam, NICELY professional ported heads (I use Edelbrocks), most any performance intake and a 800cfm or larger Holley, 10 inch converter, 4.56's and slicks. Then figure out how to make these parts work.

It's not that hard.

Seven hundred or even 6 hunnert (or even 500) is a serious piece. Might be easier for you if you sneak up on those numbers rather than go "all in" on your first try.

Most importantly, have fun!

Not at all.  Like I stated in my original post, this is going to be a cruiser only.  It's an almost completely original 63 Galaxie boxtop that has been very well cared for.  It absolutely is not a race car and likely will never see a dragstrip.  I have other toys for that.  The initial search for 700HP was for bragging rights alone.

The advice you give about starting small, like 500hp, is good.  I just know that I will want more very soon after so I'm trying to only build once.  If it gives you any insight, my very first street bike back in 2005 was a Yamaha R1.  I knew I wouldn't be happy with a Suzuki 650 in 2 months time so I went big in the beginning and never regretted it.

All that said, I very much appreciate all the input.

andyf

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2018, 06:54:22 PM »
If you live near Georgia/Florida, stop by.... we'll go for a ride :P  even with my 525? hp 447ci engine traction makes it to where I don't think any more power would be terribly useful without prepped pavement and competition tires.

Seattle isn't too far away, I'm in the Portland area. The 700 hp Car Craft engine will be in a '63 1/2 Galaxie this summer if you want to come down and check it out. The car is getting a new fuel system at the moment and some other upgrades. Should be running by the end of summer if everything goes smooth. Sounds like it will be pretty close to what you're building. I think the owner is going with a 3.50 rear gear and he had the C6 beefed up a bit.

N2950H

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2018, 09:54:50 PM »

Seattle isn't too far away, I'm in the Portland area. The 700 hp Car Craft engine will be in a '63 1/2 Galaxie this summer if you want to come down and check it out. The car is getting a new fuel system at the moment and some other upgrades. Should be running by the end of summer if everything goes smooth. Sounds like it will be pretty close to what you're building. I think the owner is going with a 3.50 rear gear and he had the C6 beefed up a bit.

Oh wow, that is something I would absolutely drive down to Portland d to check out!  I'll definitely be in touch with my contact info if you're serious. 

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2018, 09:49:59 AM »
Just last weekend at Columbus swap meet..........I saw the deal of a lifetime.   63 galaxie, 496 all alum FE, 2x4, 4 spd, very nice, clean car, gold exterior, all chrome very nice.  $40K.   You can't hardly build the motor for that if you start with nothing.
Larry