Author Topic: Fully sequential FAST EFI  (Read 4404 times)

philminotti

• View Profile
Fully sequential FAST EFI
« on: April 25, 2011, 12:02:13 PM »
I know Jay has gone to batch firing on one of his EFI motors...is this due to high rpm instability of the cam sync signal from FAST's dual sync distributor?  My motor is a hydraulic roller with port injection, I don't expect to see north of 6K rpm.  I'm switching from Mass-Flo EFI to FAST.  The engineer in me refuses to give up on sequential operation.  Jay, was your issue purely rpm related, and at what rpm did that occur, or was there something else?

Thanks.

phil minotti

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: Fully sequential FAST EFI
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 01:03:53 PM »
I didn't really see any problem with mine until after 6000 RPM.  I don't really know whether it was the distributor itself, or the distributor pickup, or electrical noise that was causing the unstable power output at high speeds, but a switch to the Ems-Pro solved the problem.  I like the ideal of full sequential operation too; I don't think you'll have any trouble. 

One caution on the FAST distributor:  If I recall correctly the plate that the rotor bolts onto was kind of a press fit onto the distributor shaft.  I noticed right away that mine was loose, allowing the rotor to move around a little with respect to the shaft.  I discovered this with the engine on the dyno, and ended up welding the plate to the shaft in order to eliminate this problem.  You might check yours for that issue...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

philminotti

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 01:39:04 PM »
Thanks Jay.  Looking forward to receiving your book.

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 05:58:56 PM »
Phil, have you tried a Quarterhorse chip with the Massflo yet?

I have had great luck once I was able to datalog and manipulate the load.  Massflo doesnt do any real tuning, I'd even be happy to help burn the initial *.bin file and email it you wanted.

I hated the setup at first, but now being able to program it, I am very happy. Next step is a much bigger MAF, but even now it's very happy I just think it'd like more flow

Ross
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 06:47:28 PM »
I've sequenced a couple of them, but I have used a crank trigger.  The distributor is used only for the cam signal - I do that by breaking off all but one of the reluctor "teeth".  I also had a problem with a FAST distributor - lost one on the dyno - and after the replacement subsequently failed the customer on the road he gave up on it and went MSD/batch.