Author Topic: Edelbrock 2x4 Adaptor - Interest?  (Read 8557 times)

mbrunson427

• View Profile
Edelbrock 2x4 Adaptor - Interest?
« on: February 06, 2018, 09:39:44 AM »
Last week I got my hands on an adapter that someone had made for the Edelbrock Air Gap 2x4 intake, to allow Holley carbs. After mocking up the carbs and a distributor, it's pretty obvious that this one isn't going to work. My neighbor is going to machine one that pushes the carbs further back on the intake, and allows the distributor to fit.

If I'm going through the trouble of having this done, are there other people interested in one? The neighbor is retired and I don't think he wants to do a krillion of these, but I'm sure I could talk him into doing a batch of them.

Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: Edelbrock 2x4 Adaptor - Interest?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 11:34:59 AM »
By pushing the carbs back far enough for the distributor to work, you'll be pushing the rear carb past the primary venturi's. Not sure how you plan on making that work, but even with a 'contoured' adapter to get the airflow back into the plenum, it'll be FAR from optimum.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 12:41:27 PM by cjshaker »
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 11:45:29 AM »
Working on one here.  Similar in concept, except that mine will require a trip to Marcella's to get some welding done - and then another trip into the mill to rearrange things a bit.  Still not certain its economically rational - but gotta try something.

justintyme73

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 12:01:15 PM »
As above, I think it depends on how well it works, and cost.  If it works well, performs there will be interest for sure.

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 02:40:39 PM »
The idea we had going would be to contour the venturi's back to the Edelbrock position. As stated, it would be less than optimal, but it would work. I didn't figure that everyone would want to, or care to, go through the headache of welding.

In my situation, I would take the manifold and try to lay those openings back and shift the position on the intake, and weld back in where necessary. This plate would be a starting point. Basically, trying to do the best I can with the real estate available on the plenum. To do the optimal "right thing", it'd require some major welding to the rear of the plenum and work to the #4 and #8 runners, and maybe even #1.

Barry, I'm sure your deal is pretty much the same. Not too many ways to skin the cat. I wanted to make a "one size fits all" plate that could work for everyone, and for those of us that care to go further, we could. With my luck, the un-modified intake and plate would actually turn out to make more power than the one I spent all the time on, because of some Eddy current super sucker tornado effect or something  :o.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

wowens

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 06:15:27 PM »
No
Woody

gdaddy01

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 01:57:14 PM »
Yes , I have been wondering about this for awhile now , glad to see someone doing something about it , thanks to all of you .

scott foxwell

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 04:59:09 PM »
Here is a paper pattern of a medium riser carb layout over the Edelbrock intake. If you want to keep the front carb oriented in somewhat of the same place as an original MR 2x4 intake, this is what it's going to look like. It would be a pretty easy mod if the runners of the two intakes were oriented in the same sequence, but they're not and because of that, it makes things much more difficult.

You can see that even when keeping the carbs symmetrically spaced over the Edelbrock openings, it's not a slight offset. Moving them either way, forward or rearward, is going to make one end really exaggerated.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 05:12:55 PM by scott foxwell »

plovett

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 05:24:40 PM »
That picture really illuminates the issue.  It's not a small mismatch as far as I can tell.  I don't think I'd want to do that in any circumstance.  Maybe the "cure" is worse than the "illness"?

JMO,

paulie

andyf

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 05:54:13 PM »
Sometimes 10 lbs of spuds won't fit in a 5 lb sack.

If you have to run Holley carbs on that intake then run them sideways and spend your time building the linkage. If you just don't want to run the Edelbrock/AFB type of carb then use two throttle bodies.

TomP

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2018, 12:57:34 AM »
The pictured adapter is similar to the HotHeads one but theirs looks taller. I was thinking of using it with a low profile distributor to fit under the front carb. Haven't got one or tried yet

babybolt

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2018, 08:02:53 AM »
Turn the Holley carb sideways...

Dumpling

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2018, 08:43:27 AM »
Couple of these?
Available from Summit.

"Description: Offenhauser carburetor adapters are designed to allow you to mount most any carburetor on most any manifold, saving you the expense of buying a different manifold or carburetor. Made from cast aluminum, they will provide a smooth transition from carburetor to intake for trouble-free operation."

Don't really understand the fixation with making this intake work with Holley carbs...
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 08:45:46 AM by Dumpling »

scott foxwell

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2018, 08:49:28 AM »
Turn the Holley carb sideways...
Doesn't work on a dual plane intake.

Dumpling

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2018, 09:05:20 AM »
Or go with Weber's...