Author Topic: Edelbrock 2x4 Adaptor - Interest?  (Read 8621 times)

thatdarncat

• View Profile
Re: Edelbrock 2x4 Adaptor - Interest?
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2018, 07:27:12 PM »
....If you want a race intake then buy a race intake. You can train a donkey all day long and it still won't be a race horse........

Probably the best advice.
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

scott foxwell

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2018, 08:29:50 PM »
Blue Thunder 2x4 medium risers are selling again. $995.00.

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2018, 09:44:18 AM »
Could one mill out the center and make an adapter for 3x2 bbl carbs?

This is where I originally started. I wanted a better performing 3x2, nobody would cough up a Dove tunnel wedge with the removable top plate (and honestly that's probably too much intake for what I'm building anyhow). The 3x2 setup has the same problem, front and rear venturis are too far forward and too far backward on the plenum. It'd require a similar adapter.

After looking at it this weekend with neighbor Joe, I think I'm going to punt. We both agreed that it'd be a better use of time/effort to make a lower air cleaner plate that adapted to a standard 2x4 top.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

Tobbemek

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2018, 01:30:37 PM »
The muscle car history is full of excellent 2x4 carter engines of all the brands. I had my nose in a -71 HEMI Cuda A/SA 10,71 ET European record holder for 10 years back in the 80-90 ish That 426 HEMI produced 600 HP with the old NHRA Stock rules, with a unmodified intake and Carter carbs.
Nothing wrong with Carters, the Edelbrocks lookalike you have to detail for the right application.
The 426 HEMI Carters are detailed already by the Chrysler enginers ;).

Thumperbird

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2018, 08:25:07 PM »
Building a 445 stroker this way now, bj/bk carbs facing forward, should be done in about 2 months.
I do not have any height constraints so I am adding 4 hole spacers on top for distributor clearance and signal.
1" rise and 1.125" run for the angled portion of the adaptor spacers, simple ends and side pieces, using .5" spacers for top and bottom flange, easy milling and tapping, $100 buck investment and some fab time.  There is some material to give on the mounting flange of the intake to make things a little less mismatched.
I'll let you know how it does on the dyno by summer.

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2018, 08:14:46 AM »
Our adapter is almost done.  Single piece deal.  Lots of Bridgeport time.  Had to open up the manifold quite a bit.  Its headed off to Marcella maybe later today to get some welding done - then I will need a candidate for dyno testing.  Should be interesting.  Might not be cost effective.

TomP

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2018, 09:59:40 PM »
Barry... somehow your picture didn't show??  :P

You ARE going to let us see, right?

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2018, 04:50:16 PM »
Yeah - I will show it.  Not sure if it will be good, bad, or just weird...

Mixture distribution is a complete "who the heck knows" deal.  Looks like we just evened up the six runner's effective lengths leaving the front pair long.  Lengths as Edelbrock had them were already unequal, long front and rear pair and short in the center four..  Engine will probably start - but who knows from that point on.

Once we get the filler section made up for the back end we might sexy-fy the square edges a bit.  But a stock or MSD distributor will fit, OE or reproduction carbs will fit, stock progressive linkage will fit, and stock oval air filter stuff will fit.  John figures we can make a good drawing off the spacer now, so he could CNC the next one instead of making it up on the mill.

Been pretty busy playing catch up - four engines on dyno with a week or so, plus finishing up the final proofreading on the "new" book, and chasing parts all over creation.  It's kinda good to be back at things full speed, but kinda overwhelming at the same time.