Author Topic: Low Boost Twin Turbo 482ci 1,052 HP & 956 lb-ft of Torque Ford Cammer  (Read 2971 times)

1967 XR7 GT

• View Profile
I was researching cranks and found this Sonny Bryant FE 4.250 Stroke crank in this article.

http://hotrodenginetech.com/boosting-a-482ci-ford-sohc-cammer/

Article about the engine builder:
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/take-5-kenny-duttweiler/

The crank looks really nice.  2.75 mains & 2.100 BBC rod jrls, and fully counterweighted.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 09:05:45 PM by 1967 XR7 GT »
Richard

"Frankly, I'm tired of hearing all the complaints; makes me wonder why I bother hosting this forum."

TomP

Re: Low Boost Twin Turbo 482ci 1,052 HP & 956 lb-ft of Torque Ford Cammer
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 10:06:06 PM »
That is the black 64 Galaxie at SEMA, guess I never read the sign closely, didn't know it was Ring Bros. Could have guessed by some of the custom bits. Robert Pond looked it over when he was there.

So Comp Make the stub cams now?  It seems pretty much every part of a Cammer is available and most with several choices.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 07:04:48 AM »
Ken makes a great point I had never considered before: we all know more rpm = more hp but its his comments on CID that was news to me. Point is, he's stating that a 300 CID engine, as rpms go up, becomes essentially a 600 CID engine. Food for thought!

RPM IS THE KEY TO POWER
The one question Kenny Duttweiler has always been fond of is, “How do you determine how big an engine is? What is the guideline for the displacement of a 300ci V8?”

He acknowledges that by convention we say a 300ci engine theoretically displaces 300 ci of air every 720 degrees of crankshaft revolution, but Kenny went on to say, “Then we have to [think about] what the swept volume is at all these various rpm the engine will run at. Like at 5,000 rpm, is this the point where the engine is 300 ci? But then if it’s efficient at 10,000 rpm, then is it 600 ci? That’s really what it is because if you pick the point at which it is 300 ci, every time it goes around [at a higher speed] it’s adding cubic inches. If the 300ci engine at 10,000 rpm has the same volumetric efficiency as a 600ci engine at 5,000 rpm, they should essentially make the same horsepower. That’s why a Formula 1 engine at 18,000 rpm makes so much horsepower. They’re 140 ci at some point. But the rpm makes them appear bigger. But you can’t force an engine to rpm unless it can breathe.”
Bob Maag

scott foxwell

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 08:23:33 AM »
An engine can not change it's displacement. A 300" engine is a 300" engine at 500 rpm and at 10000 rpm. The amount of air it moves is one thing, the amount of air it displaces is another and as rpm goes up, VE goes down. That's why an engine needs more rpm to make more power. We can increase VE for a given rpm range and that increases (multiplies) the torque...or we can multiply the torque with rpm mathemmatically.
Look at how a forced induction engine works. We can increase VE without increasing rpm which increases torque, which in turn increases HP. Remember, HP is only calculated, torque is measured. We can increase VE with a naturally aspirated engine through efficiency but once we're reached the max there, we can multiply torque mathematically with rpm. Torque will fall off with rpm (as VE decreases) but power will increase to a certain point. When torque starts falling off faster than the rpm can multiply it mathematically, then power stops increasing and begins to fall. No matter where or when, the engine still only displaces it's given volume per 720* of revolution.

1967 XR7 GT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 10:19:18 PM »
Cammers are nice, but I will never be able to afford one. But a lot of people have an interest in Cammers on this site, so I posted the link of the engine build and a link of the builder, as to 300ci increasing to 600ci @ 10,000 because it flows as much as 600 ci engine, efficiency is one thing, cubic inch increase is another.

My interest on this build was the crank, and hadn't know Bryant made FE cranks, there's no shelf stock on these just special order, and this one weighs 66.58pds.
Richard

"Frankly, I'm tired of hearing all the complaints; makes me wonder why I bother hosting this forum."

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 11:34:04 AM »
did anyone mention how much hp this engine was capable of producing turned up? i would like to know,or would it be unsafe to push it to 18-20 boost
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new