Author Topic: FE Power at the PRI Show  (Read 15662 times)

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
FE Power at the PRI Show
« on: December 06, 2017, 08:46:01 PM »
This year I'm displaying my products at the PRI show in Indianapolis.  Drove all day to the show yesterday and spent most of the day today setting up the booth.  I have a few new products to display at the show, plus the normal parts.  This post is a quick overview of the display and products.

Here's the booth after it has all been set up.  The booth number is 7137:

The photo below shows some of the valve cover prototypes that I have machined recently.  The day before Thanksgiving I finally got some prototype valve cover castings with the surface finish quality that I require.  Its been exasperating that it has taken this long, but I think the foundry has it right now and can deliver good quality castings.  I expect to get the first production order of castings in January.  A couple of the castings have been powder coated, and some have been engraved; I will be offering these options to the folks on my valve cover list when I get the production batch.

Also of note in this photo is a 351C Hilborn EFI setup, which of course bolts onto my intake adapter.  It can be fitted with butterflies up to 2-5/8" diameter.  Since I made over 900 HP with the 2-7/16" butterflies on the Hilborn setup on the SOHC, I'm sure this induction system is capable of those kinds of numbers:

I'm also introducing some new products at the show.  First is the billet intake shown in the two photos below.  Some of you may have seen the red 3D printed version of this intake at the FE Reunion last April.  I now have the machining programs written for this intake and have made my first prototype.  There are a few minor machining errors but overall it looks pretty good I think.  This manifold will bolt onto my standard 13001 intake adapter, or any 351C with stock type heads for that matter.  It uses a Holley LSX top, but I am also considering machining a billet top for this intake.  That would be more expensive, though.  I am currently working on a similar intake to bolt onto my high riser intake adapter.  Once that is finished, probably mid-January, I will be making both these billet intakes, plus my tunnel port billet intake (already shown in the Member Projects thread) available for general sale.  Price on the billet intake for the #13001 will be $1500:

Next on the new product list is a set of SOHC rocker arms.  These are unique in that they replace the needle bearings in the roller wheel with bronze bushings, like the more modern roller lifters.  The rockers are drilled with oil holes so that the bushing is provided with full time pressure oiling.  I have burned up way too many needle bearings in my SOHCs, with the resultant engine damage, and am looking forward to testing these rockers out on my engines.  Assuming they pass muster after a summer of running and next year's Drag Week, I will make them available for sale.  Photos of the rockers are below.  Note that they have a roller tip, so they will require lash caps of varying thicknesses in order to set the lash:

Last, but not least, is the FE Power cylinder head I've been talking about for some time.  The head design is not yet complete; it still needs the water jacket design, and a tweak or two to the intake port.  But, for the most part the basic concept is done.  Below is a picture of the intake port side of the head.  The intake port is nearly the exact same size as a standard FE medium riser port.  However, the port is raised substantially; the floor of the port is about 2" above the deck surface:

With an intake port this high, of course the valve cover rail has to be raised as well.  Way back when I was doing my intake adapter design for the high riser, I was thinking about doing my own cylinder head, so I had the HR intake adapter cast with the valve cover rail over an inch higher than a standard high riser valve cover rail.  Basically, this means I can machine the high riser intake adapter casting to fit these ports, and maintain the standard FE valve cover rail shape, despite the radically raised ports in the heads.  Basically, the valve cover rail is just raised up high enough on the heads and intake to clear the revised intake port.

I plan to make three different intake setups available that will fit this intake adapter.  One will be a billet intake like the one shown previously, another will be a single four spider style intake, and the last will be a crossram style individual runner intake, which I hope to be able to design so that it will fit under the hood of a Mustang, Fairlane, or Torino.  The billet intake and spider intake could be either carbed or EFI, but the crossram IR intake will be EFI only.

Along with the raised ports, they are also straightened, to take the hook out of the normal FE port.  This requires radically offset rocker arms, a 1.4" offset on the intake rockers and a slight 0.1" offset on the exhausts, to clear the intake ports.  The picture below shows the 3D printed rocker assembly.  There are 8 3/8" bolts holding the stands in place to allow for big valve spring pressures, and end stand supports for the shafts of course.  The shafts are normal FE size, but there are no through bolts to weaken the shafts and the oiling holes are positioned differently than stock.   This valvetrain will still oil through the rocker shafts, like the stock oiling system. 

On the exhaust side, the ports are radically redone.  They exit the heads at a 45 degree angle, or straight out  horizontally with the engine in the car.  Obviously, custom headers will be required, and the exhaust will not fit in a shock tower car without some shock tower surgery.  A picture of the exhaust side of the head is shown below:

The chambers, shown in the photos below, are similar to other modern, heart shaped chambers with a centrally located spark plug and plenty of quench area.  Valve spacing is 2.025", and valve sizes are 2.25" on the intake and 1.65" on the exhaust, and valve stems are 5/16".  The valve angle is also decreased to 11 degrees, from the standard FE angle of 13 degrees, and the valves have been moved in the chamber to provide better flow into the cylinder than the stock FE valve position.

Obviously, with such a radical revamp of the basic FE cylinder head, a lot of things on the engine have to change.  If you want to run these heads, you will have to get the heads, the rockers and shafts, the intake adapter, the intake, and new pistons to match the revised valve location.  Plus, you would have to build your own headers, and cut the shock towers if you have a shock tower car.

What's the payoff?  Preliminary flow tests show that with the stock FE port size, the intake port flows 405 cfm at .700" lift, using a 4.25" bore for the cylinder.  The exhaust flows 270 cfm at .700", into a 2" OD header pipe.  The water jackets will be designed so that extensive porting will be possible.  A 500 cfm FE intake port may be possible with this design, after porting.  The photo below shows a 3D print of the ports:

Obviously, I'm a long way from having these available.   But personally, I really want a set  ;D  I plan to finish the design of the water jackets and intake port soon, and then get the intake options designed and 3D printed.  Next step would be to build a billet set of these heads for testing purposes on my 725 HP dyno mule.  I would expect the heads to add 100+ HP over the ported Edelbrocks that are on that engine now.  Assuming that testing all goes well, I will start looking into getting the heads and intakes cast and making a limited quantity available for sale.

I hope I get to see some forum members at the PRI show.  Please stop by and introduce yourselves if you make it to Indy - Jay

« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 10:56:22 PM by jayb »
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

e philpott

• View Profile
Re: FE Power at the PRI Show
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 09:45:46 PM »
All the products look good but those heads are freaking awesome ! Great job Jay

cwhitney

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 09:54:11 PM »
Very impressive Jay.

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 10:20:25 PM »
Is it just me Im not getting any pictures

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 11:42:48 PM »
Looks awesome, Jay! Sure would love to see a 400+ FE intake port.  Flowed a D3 SBF head with 2.135" valve recently that went 410 cfm @ .750"  The port volume was impressive.  Would love to see a FE with similar flow capability.  Hope yours can make it happen.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

TomP

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 12:38:50 AM »
Very impressive stuff Jay. The heads are quite cool, I think i'd prefer the exhaust ports to look a little more normal than that and it could probably be done without harming those flow numbers... like the various "Cleveland" type heads, SC1's, etc.
Are the rocker shaft bolts angled inward as it appears? It looks like the intake side one must or they'd run off the head.

Cyclone Joe

• Joe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 12:46:18 AM »
Allllllllriiight!  Those rockers sure look good!  I meant to ask if the oiling passageways that you drilled gave you much trouble given the L/D?

Joe

427Fastback

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 12:57:08 AM »
Very cool Jay.....As a machine fitter by trade and know the carnage of needle bearings all to well I am glad to see the switch to bushings...I really like the look of the billet intake....Well done
1968 Mustang Fastback...427 MR 5spd (owned since 1977)
1967 Mustang coupe...Trans Am replica
1936 Diamond T 212BD
1990 Grizzly pick-up

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 06:24:39 AM »
Very impressive stuff Jay. The heads are quite cool, I think i'd prefer the exhaust ports to look a little more normal than that and it could probably be done without harming those flow numbers... like the various "Cleveland" type heads, SC1's, etc.
Are the rocker shaft bolts angled inward as it appears? It looks like the intake side one must or they'd run off the head.

Don't believe the OEM dog-legged ports could flow well enough, even with the raised and re-contoured design, to achieve anywhere near the flow Jay expects. I applaud the new design even though customs would be needed. Besides, it seems that merely due to the raised port, even with OEM dog-legs, a custom set of pipes would be required in any shock towered Ford. 
Bob Maag

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 06:31:13 AM »
Looks awesome, Jay! Sure would love to see a 400+ FE intake port.  Flowed a D3 SBF head with 2.135" valve recently that went 410 cfm @ .750"  The port volume was impressive.  Would love to see a FE with similar flow capability.  Hope yours can make it happen.  Joe-JDC
The booth looks great Jay! Talk about an impressive group of hard parts. The head is the real star! Love the entire design concept but especially the straight exhaust port design! Could you, when time permits, give us a run-through on how you essentially transferred (I guess) a CAD design to the actual head that we see? Was the head produced on the rapid prototyping 3D machine?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 06:32:54 AM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

Ghoughton

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 07:00:35 AM »
Those heads are outstanding! I’ll be buying at least one set as soon as they’re available.
I love that you could make such radical changes and retain the stock valve cover. To me that’s
About the only part of the “fe” look that’s important. And the intake port spacing resembles a
tunnel port lol.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 08:57:15 AM »
Stating the obvious here, but that's some pretty neat stuff.

What are the SOHC rockers made of? I can't tell if they're aluminum or some sort of steel.

Just looking at the pictures, the chamber design of those heads look like they have a nice shape, but the contour around the intake valve looks like it could use some work. It probably always seems like I am picking out flaws on your new desgins, but I'm just trying to help point out some areas of importance. Manufacturers have come a long way in recognizing the importance of the chamber contour around the intake valve/valves in directing flow patterns into the cylinder, not only for flow, but most importantly for swirl patterns in aiding fuel mixture and flame control. I think the BBM heads were the first FE head to start to take advantage of this modern thinking. I'd spend some time researching what some of the newest engine designs are using to improve that area. There are lots of advantages to this area that they are just beginning to understand and incorporate into the latest designs. Just an opinion from somebody who has no real experience in design, so take it for what it's worth.

That billet intake just looks badass!!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 09:02:56 AM by cjshaker »
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 09:07:18 AM »
Stating the obvious here, but that's some pretty neat stuff.

What are the SOHC rockers made of? I can't tell if they're aluminum or some sort of steel.

The SOHC rockers are 4130 steel, much like T&D use for their good stuff.  They should be bulletproof.  I can't wait to set eyes on this stuff when I'm there Saturday!
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

babybolt

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 09:20:11 AM »
Any change in ratio on the new rockers?

Royce

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 09:32:40 AM »
Awesome parts Jay!!  Now i know what you have been up to the last 3 mo... I am studying the parts to see what i can adapt to a MEL or Y block!
1955 Thunderbird Competition Coupe Altered Chassis "War Bird" 383 Lincoln Y block 520 hp
1955 Thunderbird 292 275 hp Y Block
1956 Ford Victoria 292 Y block

1957 Mercury 2dr Wagon "Battle Wagon" drag car 
1957 Thunderbird Glass body Tube Chassis drag car 333 cu in 500 hp Ford Y block
1961 Starliner 390/375 clone
1965 GT40 tribute w/FE
1966 Falcon Pro Touring project
Kaase Boss 547. 840 HP 698 Torque  pump gas
1992 BMW V-12 5.0
2001 Lincoln 5.4 4 cam.
1968 Cougar XR7

ACHiPo

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2017, 10:23:03 AM »
Jay,
Good luck at the show!  Thanks for posting these--great stuff!

fastback 427

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2017, 10:26:03 AM »
Awesome! With a possible 500 cfm flow, we will also be needing a block to handle all that......
Jaime
67 fastback 427 center oiler 428 crank Dove aluminum
top end toploader
67 fairlane gta cross bolted 12:1 390 Dove aluminum top end c6 3600 stall
65 falcon straight axle project
67 mustang coupe project
76 f350 dually 390 mirror 105 4bbl 4spd
74 f100 xlt 390 c6 factory ac

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2017, 10:40:05 AM »
I hope I get to see some forum members at the PRI show.  Please stop by and introduce yourselves if you make it to Indy - Jay

I was really hoping to make it up there this year! Now that I see all the stuff you brought I'm kicking myself for not just going alone. Our friend John had a bunch of head work come in the door and he couldn't justify the trip, uncle Bob has a claim he's dealing with at work, so I was going to be going solo. Great looking stuff! It's a good time to be an FE nut.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

fastback 427

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2017, 10:51:28 AM »
N/m
Jaime
67 fastback 427 center oiler 428 crank Dove aluminum
top end toploader
67 fairlane gta cross bolted 12:1 390 Dove aluminum top end c6 3600 stall
65 falcon straight axle project
67 mustang coupe project
76 f350 dually 390 mirror 105 4bbl 4spd
74 f100 xlt 390 c6 factory ac

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2017, 11:22:28 AM »
man it warms my heart to see these new products.great job Jay! im sure you will be in the fe history book one day,and you will be a big part of it too.thank you for your time,experience,and dedication to the fe engine!!
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2017, 11:50:45 AM »
Very nice, Mr. Jay....
Blair Patrick

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2017, 04:18:42 PM »
Jay---

I hope you're getting at least 30 minutes of sleep per night! With your accomplishments, I can't imagine getting any more than that.

KS

482supersnake

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2017, 07:39:12 PM »

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2017, 09:11:28 PM »
The SOHC rockers are 4130 steel, much like T&D use for their good stuff.  They should be bulletproof.  I can't wait to set eyes on this stuff when I'm there Saturday!

I didn't think they looked beefy enough to be aluminum, and that would have been a pretty bad choice anyway. Hope they cure the problems he's had over the years.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2017, 09:41:30 PM »
Thanks for all the comments, all the parts but especially the new parts got a lot of attention.  We had a parade of FE notables come by the booth today, including Barry Rabotnick, Kurt Neighbor, Ohio George Montgomery, and Ray Pacquet.  Ohio George said he wanted my autograph LOL!  He has a copy of my book he wants me to sign.  That made my day.

To answer some questions previously asked, drilling the 0.040" hole in the 4130 steel SOHC rocker body took a few attempts to get right, but after settling on the correct feeds and speeds, plus making sure to spot drill the hole before trying to drill through the whole rocker, it went along just fine.  I had to run the feed at 0.5" per minute and the speed at 6000 RPM, and the holes went into the rockers without any problems.  Also, the rockers are the standard SOHC ratio.

On the head design, after the part is designed in Solidworks it is a simple matter to save the Solidworks file as a .stl file.  This is the file that is input into the 3D printer software.  So there's no trick at all to converting the Solidworks file into a 3D print.  Also, the combustion chamber is very similar to a couple chambers that I reviewed and analyzed on other modern inline valve engines, in fact nearly identical to one of them, so I'm confident it is fine as is. 

Thanks again for all the compliments and comments, and again I hope to see some of our form members at the show tomorrow or Saturday - Jay

Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2017, 11:49:25 PM »
Pretty cool stuff, Jay! I can't wait to see those heads in aluminum.

GJCAT427

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2017, 05:51:42 AM »
Great line up of parts Jay. Nice that Ohio George wanted your autograph! If you remember I had to "drag" you over to his table at Beaver Springs last yr!  Garry

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2017, 06:45:01 AM »
Thanks for all the comments, all the parts but especially the new parts got a lot of attention.  We had a parade of FE notables come by the booth today, including Barry Rabotnick, Kurt Neighbor, Ohio George Montgomery, and Ray Pacquet.  Ohio George said he wanted my autograph LOL!  He has a copy of my book he wants me to sign.  That made my day.

To answer some questions previously asked, drilling the 0.040" hole in the 4130 steel SOHC rocker body took a few attempts to get right, but after settling on the correct feeds and speeds, plus making sure to spot drill the hole before trying to drill through the whole rocker, it went along just fine.  I had to run the feed at 0.5" per minute and the speed at 6000 RPM, and the holes went into the rockers without any problems.  Also, the rockers are the standard SOHC ratio.

On the head design, after the part is designed in Solidworks it is a simple matter to save the Solidworks file as a .stl file.  This is the file that is input into the 3D printer software.  So there's no trick at all to converting the Solidworks file into a 3D print.  Also, the combustion chamber is very similar to a couple chambers that I reviewed and analyzed on other modern inline valve engines, in fact nearly identical to one of them, so I'm confident it is fine as is. 

Thanks again for all the compliments and comments, and again I hope to see some of our form members at the show tomorrow or Saturday - Jay

Thanks Jay on the SolidWorks to 3D printer follow-up. I didn't think your printer could make a part that big.
Bob Maag

feadam

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2017, 09:43:06 AM »
I know its early Jay, but what do you think price range will be on heads?

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2017, 10:29:05 AM »
I see you were parked next to my 351C go-to guy Tim Meyer.  I'm sure Tim saw that nice big ram.  I'd love to put that on the dragster, just to scare people.   8) 

Tell me about the single plane sitting between the stacks and the ram in Picture #2.  351C style on adapter?  For sure a Dominator pad.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 10:32:31 AM by Falcon67 »

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2017, 02:06:47 PM »
I see you were parked next to my 351C go-to guy Tim Meyer.  I'm sure Tim saw that nice big ram.  I'd love to put that on the dragster, just to scare people.   8) 

Tell me about the single plane sitting between the stacks and the ram in Picture #2.  351C style on adapter?  For sure a Dominator pad.

I’m sure Jay will respond to your post, but I can answer on the intake - it’s a Yates port Edelbrock #2863 that’s been ported by Forum member Joe Craine on Joe’s FE Power intake adapter.
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2017, 02:36:44 PM »
Also, the combustion chamber is very similar to a couple chambers that I reviewed and analyzed on other modern inline valve engines, in fact nearly identical to one of them, so I'm confident it is fine as is. 

Like I said, I'm no engineer, so you would know better than me. The way the intake valve is unshrouded on the roof side looks really nice, and much more than other designs I've seen.

Having Ohio George ask for your autograph...well, it just doesn't get much cooler than that! :)
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2017, 02:59:25 PM »
Another FE legend stopped by Jay’s booth today - Animal Jim! It was a lot of fun to talk FE’s and racing with him. I had to get a picture.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 01:14:14 AM by thatdarncat »
Kevin Rolph

1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2017, 09:34:46 PM »
Kevin is correct, that is an Edelbrock 2863 intake on one of my #13006 intake adapters, which has then been ported by Joe Craine.  Looking forward to running that one, as well as the Hilborn injector setup, on my dyno mule soon...

On the heads, I'm going to sell a complete package including the heads, the rocker arm assemblies (shafts, rockers, and stands), the valves (stock FE valves will not fit), a header flange for the exhaust ports, and the intake adapter for about $5000.  I'm envisioning three intakes to fit the intake adapter, or of course you could make your own.  The three intakes would be a single 4 spider type intake with a 4500 flange, split down the middle of the plenum for ease in porting (~$600), a billet 2X4 intake like the one for the #13001 adapter ($1500), or an individual runner crossram style intake, which would  be EFI only but would fit under the hood of a Mustang or Fairlane ($1500).  By the way, the heads will require studs, but standard studs like ARPs or whatever comes with your aftermarket block will work.  A extra cost option will be a valve job, springs, retainers, locks, seals and seats.
Jay Brown

teammoose

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2017, 10:11:51 PM »
Jay, It was good seeing you, your north country team and the new products.  It was the highlight of our PRI trip.  Little did we realize the parade of VIPs that hovered around your display.  We are looking forward to production.  Thanks for the tour.  See you in April.  Jim Vaughn and Barnhart Automotive.

scott foxwell

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2017, 10:28:28 PM »
Good to meet you Jay. I enjoyed our conversation and I'm pretty impressed with what you have so far on the head. Looking forward to watching the progress.

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2017, 06:33:51 AM »

« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 01:16:51 AM by thatdarncat »
Kevin Rolph

1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2017, 07:20:45 AM »
Another FE legend stopped by Jay’s booth today - Animal Jim! It was a lot of fun to talk FE’s and racing with him. I had to get a picture.

Hey, a big shout out to fellow Illinoisan Big Jim! We saw his '57 Merc in 1972 at Rockford Dragway and liked it a lot. Little did we know then just how expansive his future Ford drag race program would become!

http://www.animaljimracing.com/gallery.html

Bob Maag

philminotti

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2017, 09:15:49 PM »
I'll put a down payment on a set of those heads right now....gonna take some figuring to fab headers for the Cobra, but it'll be one of a kind.

TomP

« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2017, 03:57:40 AM »
Whozzat in the yellow shirt? Ray Paquet?

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2017, 08:42:39 AM »
Nope, that is Kurt Neighbor.
Jay Brown

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2017, 12:36:19 PM »
I think the BBM heads were the first FE head to start to take advantage of this modern thinking.

More like the third - or fourth if you include the Losito billet.  But your other comments are good and worth noting.  Chamber shape will not always show up on a flow bench,but makes a significant difference in the engine.

TomP

« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2017, 09:23:48 PM »
Nope, that is Kurt Neighbor.

I could have just guessed "the guy with the Super Stock TBolt" and would have been right!  :-[

JERICOGTX

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2017, 10:43:12 AM »
Thanks you Jay, for letting us be a part of the FE Power team. Was a great event, and got to meet a lot of good FE people. Hope to do it again next year.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2017, 11:25:05 AM »
>Kevin is correct, that is an Edelbrock 2863 intake on one of my #13006 intake adapters, which has then been ported by Joe Craine.

Thanks, that too far a-field from what I'm doing.  Always on the lookout for a Funnelweb type since almost none are available.  Lots of domestic or domestically stocked items for a good 351C build until you get to intakes, then it kinda peters out.  AFD and Funnelweb spider type will work on some heads and stock filled but the rest are mates to their head brothers - CHI, Edelbrock, TFS, etc. 

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2017, 03:36:57 PM »
    Barry and I were there at the same time looking over that head! That will make some power. All your stuff is well thought out , glad you had a good show like we did.
   Randy

Arizona ‘58Mercury

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2017, 10:34:51 PM »
Glad I’m inline for a set of those valve covers like the blue set, but man!! You show us that concept heads and then say limited production!  Hahaha!  I’ll be keeping an eye out

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2017, 01:28:54 PM »
Awesome looking stuff, Jay. Can't wait to see the ported Edelbrock 2863 intake/13006 adaptor on the 504 mule.

Animal Jim could easily pass for Neil Young these days. Lol
Kevin McCullah

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2017, 02:07:02 PM »
I hope you (Jay) have time to finish that cylinder head and do some testing ... that's by far the coolest head for FE that's still a TRUE inline Valve head , This probably best news for FE since the aftermarket block came out

57 lima bean

« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2017, 03:12:27 PM »
 :)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 03:24:29 PM by 57 lima bean »

57 lima bean

« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2017, 03:20:59 PM »
Awesome looking stuff, Jay. Can't wait to see the ported Edelbrock 2863 intake/13006 adaptor on the 504 mule.

Animal Jim could easily pass for Neil Young these days. Lol

"Keep on rocken in the FE world"

feadam

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2017, 03:57:28 PM »
Jay
How close are push rods to ports on these heads?

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2017, 08:20:23 PM »
They come about 1/4" from the lower left corner of the intake port.
Jay Brown

plovett

« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2017, 08:29:03 PM »
Amazing stuff, Jay.  Thanks for shaking up the FE world.

Royce

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2017, 09:15:25 PM »

A witty comment as usual Steve..  I think that should go as a tag line on a Fe Power LLC sticker
1955 Thunderbird Competition Coupe Altered Chassis "War Bird" 383 Lincoln Y block 520 hp

1965 GT40 tribute w/FE
1992 BMW V-12 5.0
2001 Lincoln 5.4 4 cam.
1968 Cougar XR7

Royce

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2017, 09:18:32 PM »

Jay,     Frieburger HAS to be a Neil Young fan...Make sure he gets a sticker

1965 GT40 tribute w/FE
1992 BMW V-12 5.0
2001 Lincoln 5.4 4 cam.
1968 Cougar XR7

57 lima bean

« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2017, 12:18:18 PM »

Jay,     Frieburger HAS to be a Neil Young fan...Make sure he gets a sticker
     Except drop "The"..........smile

57 lima bean

« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2017, 02:46:46 PM »
KMcCullah............see what you started

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2017, 03:16:01 PM »
Hey...Just like Freiburger....he's probably a "closeted" FE guy.  Somebody "tweet" him an invite.....
Kevin McCullah