Author Topic: Valve Train, Lifter, Push Rod, Rocker Arm, Springs, etc. Organizer Trays ?  (Read 4151 times)

427HISS

• View Profile
What trays out there that organize all the head parts are best, but won't break the bank ?

$43 bucks-
Jaz Products 735-002-06 Rocker Arm Lifter and Pushrod Tray

https://www.amazon.com/Jaz-Products-735-002-06-Rocker-Pushrod/dp/B002RLCPTY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1511880923&sr=8-2&keywords=valvetrain+organizer+tray

Jay, Barry, Brent and other pro builders, what do you use ?

andyf

• View Profile
Re: Valve Train, Lifter, Push Rod, Rocker Arm, Springs, etc. Organizer Trays ?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 01:48:20 PM »
I have a mid size rolling tool box that I use for engine disassembly. Just pull the parts off the engine, bag them in heavy duty plastic bags and put them in the drawers. Rolling tool boxes are fairly inexpensive at Sears and are built well enough to handle stuff like valvetrain parts, head bolts, main caps, bearings, oil pumps, etc.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 03:43:46 PM »
I have this one - http://www.jegs.com/i/JAZ-Products/547/735-001-06/10002/-1

Looks like now I need two of them!  Actually, for pushrods I use a drilled chunk of 2x4 numbered with a Sharpie, same for lifters.  I'll need to make one for bar roller lifters soon.  Rockers + locks go in a Ziplock quart bag, one bag per head.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 03:46:30 PM by Falcon67 »

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 05:52:10 PM »
I'm at the age of 55 where I just DIY'd everything.....but now I'm wanting more nicer looking garage, organized tools, clean and refined options.
I used to use cardboard, wood etc, and nothing wrong with doing so. Rather than wearing a stained and tore up tee-shirt to work ware, I want a clean nice one. lol  Ya know what I mean.....

I do have a couple of roll away tool box's that have shelves that I could use. I thought of laying down a roll of toolbox liners that are soft and parts won't roll around on me. They really stay put. Then use some of the roll of plastic film and lay over the parts to keep clean. But, I do like the deadicated head part trays,unless it will cost over my wants and needs. I'm not rebuilding engines like I used to years ago, when I coukd have used the already built trays.

Have you guys seen this type ?

https://www.amazon.com/WH-4045M-Engine-Cylinder-Component-Organizer/dp/B06X3W2NJP/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1511891271&sr=8-3&keywords=valvetrain+organizer+tray

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 10:03:37 AM »
I'm at the age of 55 where I just DIY'd everything.....but now I'm wanting more nicer looking garage, organized tools, clean and refined options.

Yea, yea - me too.  But grand kids, grand kid sports, work, around the house, other - ain't gonna happen.  I did clean off the big bench a while ago and was reminded how much space I do have available.  Lot of space freed up when I put the Falcon in the trailer for storage - that lasted 5 minutes because the dragster, quad, pit bike, generator and other stuff filled up the space.  Normally I jack the wife's race car up on the lift and park that stuff under it but her car needs the intake put back on first. 

That link - odd it says "For engines up to 4 cylinders."  LOL.  I think the Jaz items are better pieces.  Neat is one thing, rockers in marked zip locks and stashed in an empty Folgers Kurieg 80 count box works just fine.  Easy to stack too.  I can strip a motor down in a couple of hours and fill 3~4 boxes, just put a piece of painters tape on the side and note with a Sharpie whats in each box.  Piston/rod assemblies go in individual gallon ziplocks with the cylinder number noted on the bag.  Carbs fit in 2 gallon bags, sub assembly pieces in quart bags, marked if necessary.  Etc.  Nothing gets lost, everything protected.  I typically clean and check the parts coming out because that's how the list of needs get's started.

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 09:58:17 PM »
For the needs of all the head parts, buying the ready made organizors is pretty expensive, so we'll see if I just make my own or just bag them like you.
Simple and clean.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 06:43:01 AM »

Yea, yea - me too.  But grand kids, grand kid sports, work, around the house, other - ain't gonna happen.  I did clean off the big bench a while ago and was reminded how much space I do have available.  Lot of space freed up when I put the Falcon in the trailer for storage - that lasted 5 minutes because the dragster, quad, pit bike, generator and other stuff filled up the space.  Normally I jack the wife's race car up on the lift and park that stuff under it but her car needs the intake put back on first. 

That link - odd it says "For engines up to 4 cylinders."  LOL.  I think the Jaz items are better pieces.  Neat is one thing, rockers in marked zip locks and stashed in an empty Folgers Kurieg 80 count box works just fine.  Easy to stack too.  I can strip a motor down in a couple of hours and fill 3~4 boxes, just put a piece of painters tape on the side and note with a Sharpie whats in each box.  Piston/rod assemblies go in individual gallon ziplocks with the cylinder number noted on the bag.  Carbs fit in 2 gallon bags, sub assembly pieces in quart bags, marked if necessary.  Etc.  Nothing gets lost, everything protected.  I typically clean and check the parts coming out because that's how the list of needs get's started.

I like the trays but Chris's idea is still better. Consider: like a T/F or F/C team, those trays are mighty useful when the engine gets stripped down between rounds and then gets quickly zipped back together. But, unless one plans to assemble an FE pretty quickly (new one, rebuild, whatever) I see parts getting lost, knocked over, etc. Careful use of kitchen stuff (baggies, plastic containers, small boxes, coffee cans, butter tubs) with magic marker i.d.'s win the day in my book.
Bob Maag

Dan859

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 01:00:07 AM »
Here's another vote for zip lock bags and Tupperware bowls.  I like to use the zip lock bags for nuts and bolts, small pieces, etc.  I keep everything separate and label them as I go.  The Tupperware bowls are good for small to medium size parts, plus you can put the zip lock bag with the bolts into the Tupperware.  I then put all the bags and bowls together in some sort of a storage box.  For something complicated, I put drawings, pictures, diagrams together with the various sub-assemblies.  Makes things much easier when it's time to put things back together, especially if there's been some time gone by.  The other thing I do is to laminate any diagrams, drawings, pictures, etc., in clear plastic.  Then, when I'm working on the car, I can keep the diagram right there with me and not worry about it getting trashed.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 05:52:08 AM »
It would not be hard either to make a tray from wood to fits one's needs. Some work, screws, maybe wood glue, but I'd bet for under $10 one could do so.
Bob Maag

steinauge

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 10:55:08 PM »
I have a couple that Crane marketed years ago.Black plastic trays with holes for lifters,pushrods etc.Seems to me it would be easy to make all that type of thing you want with pieces of 2 X 12 and a router.

chilly460

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 12:07:11 AM »
This thread made me go out and slap together an organizer.  Used a 1x12” shelf I had laying around, tripled it up and glued it then laid it out.  I don’t have room for rockers but my thinking is they’re easy to keep together on the shafts for an FE.  From inside out is valve, spring, lifter, retainer and locks, pushrod.  The valves are drilled different depths and nest together, should accept up to 2.20 and 1.65s

o

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 07:25:08 AM »
Dontcha love hot rodder innovation?  ;)
Bob Maag

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 12:12:39 PM »
Chilly went all out - meaning, he used paint on his.   ;D

chilly460

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 01:40:33 PM »
I know...I know...I'm fancy like that!! 

Truth is it had been on the floor of my shed so had footprints, tractor oil, etc on it so it needed a little paint to make it hipo