Author Topic: Way O/T! Any Porsche owners (flat six or flat four) here?  (Read 2907 times)

machoneman

• View Profile
Way O/T! Any Porsche owners (flat six or flat four) here?
« on: November 13, 2017, 03:32:28 PM »
Boxster, 911, Cayman. Have been looking around but hear that a.) Porsche shop rates are very high (this I know) b.) a lot of owner engine work is very difficult w/o a lift (Cayman mid engine) c.) parts are very high and hard to come by (Porsche cam & drive belts, etc.).

Any experiences on the above and costs? Thx! 
Bob Maag

rockhouse66

• View Profile
Re: Way O/T! Any Porsche owners (flat six or flat four) here?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 08:45:23 AM »
I have a 2004 911, the 996 series.  The one with all the engine woes.  I was very intimidated about working on it but I got over it and, other than the tight space issues, it is like working on anything else.  You will buy several goofy metric tools because Porsche can't seem to use much that is ordinary.  I do have a lift but lots of folks do major work without one.  If you are doing much work, makes a lot of sense to just drop the engine and do it all at once.

Now, if you are talking about rebuilding a broken 911 engine (water cooled version), that is another story.  The most complicated and fussy assembly process I have ever seen.  I don't think I would tackle it, though there are classes that will teach you enough to be dangerous.

Follow the 996 Forum on Rennlist.com for a while and you will get the picture.
Jim

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 11:02:05 AM »
Hey Jim, thanks so much and for the lead too!

No broken engine but if I buy a current or even new Cayman I would like my Stangs work on it myself. Belts, plugs, oil, etc. I was looking btw for a Porsche site (more than a few I found) to bone up on stuff but most aren't gearhead oriented. Perhaps the typical Porschephile doesn't do any work but gives the car to the dealer. Expensive there I know!

Had read about IIRC a cam roller bearing (or something like that) buried deep inside the sixes that gives up the ghost way too early. Don't think the later Cayman engines have/had this issue. Still can't understand how this malfunction got by the extensive testing Porsche must have done.
Bob Maag

rockhouse66

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 12:30:50 PM »
Bob

Yes, sore subject on the early water cooled cars.  Poor design resulting from cost cutting.  You are talking about the intermediate shaft bearing (IMSB).  Porsche guys all talk in code.  Takes a while to decipher.

A 6 cyl car after about 2006 is good to go regarding the IMSB.  And in 2009 a whole new engine so no issues.  BTW, GT3s and Turbos never used the cheaper engine design so none of those have these issues.

People with the newer cars have money to pay for work and/or have a car still under warranty.  It is us poor Porsche clingers with the older cars that work on our own.
Jim

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 06:57:32 AM »
Great sites! Found a few more links from your reply. Seems the newer Caymans are pretty much bullet-proof and yes, many owners can and do work on the engines.
Bob Maag

MeanGene

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 10:35:55 AM »
Nope, just a poor old 928

rockhouse66

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 12:02:58 PM »
Nope, just a poor old 928

A V8 guy all the way, eh Gene?
Jim

ntheogen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2017, 11:02:24 PM »
I worked at a Euro repair shop in Marin County ca some years ago. Be prepared to buy lots tools and many that only do one thing. The fundamentals of those cars are the same but they are extremely over engineered. I own and drive a few somewhat late model BMWs myself currently. You really need specialized tools to accomplish the same tasks you would on other cars. Befriend a Euro tech to help out. The repair manuals are like encyclopedias for those cars. Do the research as you are now to know what to stay away from and have fun.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2017, 12:02:58 AM »
Thanks!  :)
Bob Maag

ntheogen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2017, 11:41:32 AM »
I wouldn't even attempt any wrenching without a Bentley manual for the vehicle. Well worth the investment.

Jack

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2017, 02:41:13 PM »
Ah, didn't know about the Bentley. Thx!
Bob Maag