Author Topic: Carb recommendation for new 428  (Read 9884 times)

Monzy

• View Profile
Re: Carb recommendation for new 428
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2012, 07:06:24 PM »
I've got an 850DP on my fairly stock 428 with some cam not sure how much though as I didn't build it.  Runs great at the track but would like to have a 750DP to compare it to.    I know the 428 loves gas pretty much any amount I try to throw at it and it still barly reaches 12.5-1 Air/Fuel ratio.   Hard to get good gas mileage though.  Its either rich or lean.  I've tried pretty much everything to get it in between when i'm not at the track.  Right now i've got 82/80jets which runs good on the street.  I also took the air horn off to open up air flow and a few other things to the distribution block.   

drdano

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2012, 09:16:54 PM »
Small update on the carb.  I found a brand-new never been mounted 750 double pumper on craigslist for $300. 

Nice price for a new carb.  Got it home, gave it a quick inspection and mounted it up on the motor.  I had to mount a new canister style fuel filter on the motor since I couldn't find anywhere on the fender well to mount it that didnt look as awful as a hipster chicks black glasses.  Drilled and tapped the fuel line for a fuel pressure gauge while I was at it. 

Got it all mounted up, pulled the float inspection plugs and filled each bowl with a syringe.  Turned each idle mix screw out to to 1.5 turns and hit the key.  Nothing...hmm..ok.  Pump pump squirt squirt.  Hit the key, no fire.  More pumping.  Dah, CRAP.  Flooded.  Doh!  Few minutes later did get it to fire, set the idle speed to 750rpm and let the motor warm up.  Turned on the Innovate LM-2 AFR computer and started in on the idle mix screws.  I was told the mix screws would make a big difference in just a half a turn, and that is no joke.  Turned out to be super rich at 1.5 turns out, just 9:1 AFR.  Moving them into 3/4 turn on all four corners has me in the 13:1 ballpark. The motor is idling smooth and pulling 10 inches of vacuum.  I'm impressed so far out of the box I've not had to drill or mess with anything, which is nice.

A tick has developed on the right bank that I need to go investigate before I want to proceed any further.  It sounds an awful lot like an exhaust leak, but I spent most of yesterday putting Nord-Lock washers on the collectors and tightening them down, so I'm reasonably confident it isn't that.  It sounds like a pop each time a single cylinder fires, so I'm betting the high-temp silicone on one exhaust port let go.  Bad part is this is probably introducing a small air leak into that side which is where my wideband O2 sensor is, so it's got to be fixed.

So, I'm happy thusfar with the 750, thanks for the recommendation. 

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2012, 08:46:07 AM »
That is a really good deal on a 750 double pumper.  I'll bet you will like that carb, especially at higher engine speeds...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC