Author Topic: Pre 61 timing chain  (Read 2051 times)

Heo

• View Profile
Pre 61 timing chain
« on: October 06, 2017, 01:25:53 PM »
As i understand it pre 61 dont have the thrustplate to hold
the cam in place axialy . What do they have? a friend want
me to help him with a -59 352 that have some cam related
 issues

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

gdaddy01

• View Profile
Re: Pre 61 timing chain
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 01:57:25 PM »
a spring and button , thrust is made into the cam . you can tap the holes in the block , get thrust plate and run later cam . gasket is different on the timing chain cover on 59 stamp steel timing cover , just enough it will leak .
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 01:59:58 PM by gdaddy01 »

chris401

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 02:17:40 PM »
Ford changed spring designs in 60 or 61. I believe the thrust plate appeared in 63.

The early stamped steel cover had the spring that wedged into the cover and the button rode on the cam bolt. When the aluminium cover came out the spring snapped on-around the cam bolt and the button rode on the cover. The pattern is on the C3AE timing covers like the 61?-62 aluminium covers but I have never measured or tried to rum an early cam button/spring on the new cover.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 03:38:34 PM »
Ok thanks, then i know what i have to work with
nice to know before i drive 50 miles

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

chris401

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 09:09:56 PM »
Ok thanks, then i know what i have to work with
nice to know before i drive 50 miles
I may have misslead you on the spring. When I ordered a cam spring and button for a 61 352 I recieved a spring that did not fit the cam bolt. Mine was missing so no reference to compare. The supplier checked and got back with me and told me that the button I recieved was for an early stamped steel timing cover. Instead of pursuing the correct spring and button for the aluminium timing cover I added the newer thrust plate. This all happened before I bought the 1958 332 pictured. I doubt this chain was ever serviced as the top gear has an EDC casting number. Maybe there was a campaign on the latter upgraded design and this was the upgrade.