Author Topic: 351W gasket help  (Read 3225 times)

Dan859

• View Profile
351W gasket help
« on: September 29, 2017, 03:10:22 PM »
Hi everyone,
I just blew the head gasket on my 66 Fairlane.  The engine is a Ford Motorsports 351W with a stroker, for 393 CID.  It runs 10-1 compression, with an Edelbrock airgap intake, and aluminum AFR heads.  My question is what should I use for replacement head gaskets and intake gasket.  Maybe Fel-pros or something along those lines?
Thanks,
Dan

thatdarncat

• View Profile
Re: 351W gasket help
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 03:19:43 PM »
A couple questions the gang may want to know first - do you know how or why the head gasket failed yet? That leads to my next question - do you intend to take the engine down for a total rebuild or at least machine the block deck & head surface? Some of the possible head gaskets work best with a certain surface finish, others might be more forgiving to an existing finish. Also, how thick are your current head gaskets?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 03:27:49 PM by thatdarncat »
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 04:13:58 PM »
Yep, losing a 351W head gasket is unusual. Need more on the possible why. Nitrous, other power adder?

Bob Maag

Dan859

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 10:35:22 PM »
OK, latest update and thanks for the replies.  First, no power adders at all.  The engine is NA, and 425 or so horsepower ( 370 RWHP). I figured it was a head gasket because I was driving down the road and suddenly started getting a huge cloud of white smoke from the exhaust.  Pulled into a parking lot, let it cool for a bit, and checked the oil and radiator levels.  Oil level was fine, no sign of water in it.  Water level was down by about a quart.  Put water in it, drove it like 5-7 miles to get home.  As I was driving it, it still smoked, but less than before, and it smelled like a water/antifreeze leak.
I've got the intake manifold off at this point.  When I pulled the intake manifold, the intake gasket on the 5-8 bank of cylinders looked bad around the # 8 cylinder.  What it looks like at this point, is that the gasket let go between the rear water passage and the # 8 intake port.  I say this because first,  the gasket itself looks like it was distorted/broken between them.  Second, there's a bit of carbon build up/discoloration around each intake port where the  port meets the gasket.  On # 8 cylinder, that carbon discoloration has clean streaks going down the side of the intake port, toward the valve.  what it looks like, is that a leak developed there, and the water was getting sucked into the cylinder. 
Tomorrow, I'll do a compression test on all 8 cylinders and see what that shows.  My feeling at this point is that if I've got good compression, then the water leak was in fact across the gasket and into the port.  I'll put a new intake gasket in it, button it up, and see what happens.  Does this sound good?  I have no objection to putting new head gaskets in it, but don't want to do it if it's not needed.  Thanks in advance.
Dan

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 06:53:24 AM »
Sounds like a case of Fel-Pro's Print-o-Leaks (Print-o-Seal) intakes with blue silicone surrounding each intake and water port.  If you DON'T have Print-o-Seal gaskets, you likely have a different problem: the China wall corks (if used) may be holding up the intake, preventing good sealing. If so, reply and more answers to fix this will come.

Btw, the intakes below are from an FE but other engine types have the same issues with these made-for-racing only gaskets. 

« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 07:45:16 AM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

Dan859

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 06:59:56 PM »
Yup, they were print-o-seal gaskets.  I did the compression test, 175-180# all around.  Talked to a local engine builder here who's got a good reputation, and showed him the gaskets.  He said he didn't see any reason to pull the head, to just put the new intake gasket in, button it up, and drive it.  That's what I'm doing now. 
Thanks to everyone who responded, I appreciate it.
Take care,
Dan

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 03:38:23 PM »
That's intake, for sure.  Use something like Mr. Gasket Ultra Seal when you go back. 

Look familiar?

Dan859

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 10:22:23 PM »
Yeah, that looks familiar, but that gasket is in much better shape than mine was.  I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow.

Dan859

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2017, 07:52:46 AM »
OK, here's a couple pictures of the gaskets.  The seals around the water jackets were really bad.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2017, 08:45:36 AM »
Culprit found!

Barry R. explained a few years ago that Fel-Pro, where he had worked, developed them for regularly torn-down race engines. Easy of removal, re-use, etc. Some have used them successfully in streeters that are rarely if ever taken apart. But many other Ford, Chevy, Dodge users running streeters have encountered the same disintegration of the gaskets.

Apparently the powers-to-be at Fel-Pro are aware of this but have never labelled them "race use only".  Too bad! 
Bob Maag

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2017, 08:59:43 AM »
Haven't found that to be true much, either.  The FelPros got to where they came apart or separated when pulling an intake even after one season.  Contrast the Mr. Gasket Ultra Seal items I use now.  Pull the Mustang intake recently after two seasons - came off no issue, could drop another intake on there.  Changed the dragster intake - gaskets installed dry with just a bit of stick-um to hold in place during assembly - and they lifted right off the heads without hassle.  Checked the compression rings left by the intake in the gasket material, sealed properly all around.