Author Topic: Your 390 Sroker And Dyno Numbers.  (Read 6183 times)

country63sedan

• View Profile
Re: Your 390 Sroker And Dyno Numbers.
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2017, 12:15:54 PM »
Yes, I would like to know all about it as well.  Looking forward to your post about it. Does it make a part measurably bigger? Could it tighten up a throttle shaft by a few thou? Later, Travis.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2017, 03:37:16 PM »
We had a bolt factory in town. Ever seen a bolt with Bufo on the head? its made here
 So i got used to leave a bucket of bolts in the morning
and get them zinkplated or whatever finnish they had, ready after lunch next day  for
a pack of coffe . Saddly It is now sold to China so .....And i was the one that dismanteled the whole
plating line and packed it for shipping to China

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2017, 03:51:14 PM »
Zinc is a sacrificial coating applied to steel.
Dichromate is a sacrificial coating on zinc.... kind of like phosphoric acid is with steel.  Zinc itself is pretty fragile, especially to acids.

When you see the yellow fading that is the dichromate coating pretty much used up, when you see the part become whitish and hazy that is "zinc rust" which is kinda how it dissolves itself.  You won't see steel rust until the zinc is gone.  This is why it's such a neat coating.  If the part was plated with lets say nickle, as soon as the coating cracked the steel would rust and lift off the remaining coating.  For an engine part this would be a bad situation.

As such, using zinc to "build up" parts isn't a great idea, because by it's very nature, zinc is meant to dissolve, which if it was determining the size for a part as soon as age set in the part would leak or not fit right.  You shouldn't really be coating anything thick enough to change the size appreciably.

If you need to redo something like a throttle shaft that doesn't fit, you either need to build up the base metal (steel) or you need to drill/bush/ream the throttle shaft hole (AED has a kit).

Anyway, none of this has to do with the original poster's question, so I'll wander off for a bit.