FE Power Forums > Member Projects

1962 F100 unibody drag truck

(1/28) > >>

KMcCullah:
This project has been in the works for a while. My dad and I are doing this one together. We've been working on it for a few months actually.  The whole Photobucket financial sodomy thing has kept me from posting pics. I almost said screw it but decided to not let it get to me. So I'm just getting around to figuring out how to post pics from my phone.

Here's our subject:

Edit - It's going to take me a while but now that I've figured out postimage, I'm going to redo all the pics in this thread.

KMcCullah:
This truck has been sitting in dads sagebrush for at least 10 years. He found it in a news paper ad I think. It's been around Western Colorado for a while. I found a local phone book under the seat from 1972. I also found a personal check under the seat from a bank in Pasadena TX. I'm guessing the trucks original owner might have stashed it there. It was folded in half and tucked into the springs on the drivers side. Kinda cool I thought.

Hey check out the rear bumper. I don't know if the dealer had to install the bumper or if it happened at the assembly plant. But it looks pretty cool. And it has steps on the corners. I just saw a Chevy truck commercial advertising the same feature. Took em a while figure that one out. :)

cjshaker:
WOW, that thing looks EXACTLY like one I had about 25 years ago! Same color, same patina, same uni-body style. I LOVED that truck and it is probably the one I most regret selling. Cool old truck! Are you going to restore it or keep it the way it is? I'd be tempted to leave it as is, bodywise.
Edit: Looking closer, I see it has a couple body issues. Nothing serious, but still worth fixing.

BTW, when I clicked on the first picture and hit 'view image', it came up correctly oriented. Sometimes this site is a bit funny that way.

KMcCullah:
The body isn't going to change much. I don't have a pic of the passenger side but it's had some serious southern exposure to the sun. Dad keeps saying, "just look at the patina on this thing!" Lol  We might just shoot a flat clear on it and call it good. It also had some serious rust issues in the floorboards and cab mounts. More pics later.

KMcCullah:
We swapped tires to get the truck looking right. Kinda set the mood for the project you know? I found a nice pair of M/T drag radials to try out. I've read several stories of rear bumpers tripping the 60' beams with these tires. This would be a fun issue to sort out I think. Lol They barely clear the inside lip of the fender with 10" wheels. We may roll the inside lip up to clear. We don't want to radius around the rear tires if possible.  Keeping the swooped back tin looks better.

We also pulled the front clip to make things more accessible. It had a blown up 250 straight six with a 3 speed. #6 Rod was hanging out of the block. It all came out in one chunk.
The steering column and sector all came out in one chunk too. The sector would have been right in the way of the headers. We've got a plan for a different sector.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version