Author Topic: Having a bit of an issue with a new 428 build  (Read 5715 times)

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: Having a bit of an issue with a new 428 build
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2017, 09:04:20 AM »
I'll repeat myself...until you get that timing up to around 38*, you're wasting your time, and everyone elses. The timing is going to affect your idle quality, vacuum, all carb adjustments etc. So everything that you're doing, you're going to have to re-do once you get the timing where it needs to be. Iron headed FE's need 38*-40* and will run best that way unless you've got other bigger issues such as bad combustion chamber deposits, a bad vacuum leak or a big squish area in the combustion chamber making it prone to detonation.

Aluminum heads need less timing, generally about where you're at now. The stock iron heads need more. If you don't believe me, check the factory specs.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2017, 09:08:29 AM »
I run 12 initial/36 total with no problems on pump gas.

You guys are going to start confusing him. You have aluminum heads, he does not.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

BigBlueOvalFan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2017, 12:42:19 PM »
I'll repeat myself...until you get that timing up to around 38*, you're wasting your time, and everyone elses. The timing is going to affect your idle quality, vacuum, all carb adjustments etc. So everything that you're doing, you're going to have to re-do once you get the timing where it needs to be. Iron headed FE's need 38*-40* and will run best that way unless you've got other bigger issues such as bad combustion chamber deposits, a bad vacuum leak or a big squish area in the combustion chamber making it prone to detonation.

Aluminum heads need less timing, generally about where you're at now. The stock iron heads need more. If you don't believe me, check the factory specs.

Ok, I'll give it a whirl.  I pulled the carbs off and found sediment in the bottom of the bowls so I'm cleaning both of them prior to firing it back up.  I'll also install a new set of autolite 45's.  First order of business once it's warm is to set max timing at around 38 and see what happens.  Thanks for the help, I'll report back after the changes.