Author Topic: Help with sonic probe modifications  (Read 2406 times)

fairlaniac

• View Profile
Help with sonic probe modifications
« on: June 10, 2012, 05:02:51 PM »
I have an older sonic tested I bought a few months back. It works great on all flat surfaces that I've checked. It had been mentioned on another post that I modify my probe. I cannot find these for sale anywhere so it may be the only one I may ever get. Looking at the picture the pink side is the sensing side, the O.D. is 1 inch. Ideally I wouls radius the face to match the bore of a cylinder but it may cut into some vital parts. I'm not sure how to take the probe apart to see how much materia land where I can grind away. Any ideas? I'm not sure what is inside. If I screw this up could I buy another type of probe and get it "wired" to work with my tester? I'm not sure how these things work at the probe so I'm looking for an education as well.

thanks,
Doug Bender
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 08:55:05 PM by fairlaniac »
Doug Bender
1966 Fairlane 427+/5 Spd TKX

country63sedan

• View Profile
Re: Help with sonice probe modifications
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 05:52:58 PM »
Let me start by saying that I have ZERO experience with sonic testers. I assume the pink side is the contact side? Could you have a cap made to go over it? The cap could have the rounded surface to match the bore and be retained by set screws on the side of the sensor. I assume the machine could be zeroed to account for the cap? Just making a couple guesses in the dark. Later, Travis

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: Help with sonice probe modifications
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 06:12:14 PM »
Yours looks different than the one I've seen modified; on that one, you could see a single line running vertically through the plastic, and we assumed that was the sensing element, so the machinist who did the work radiused the sensor at 90 degrees to the line, so it wasn't affected.  I doubt that the sensor is designed to be taken apart, so I don't think you would be able to find out if there's a preferred way to machine the radius on yours.  On the other hand, on your sensor it might not care.  As long as you can get a replacement at some reasonable price, you could give the machining a try and see what happens...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC