Author Topic: Barry 2008 "No long rods for an FE on the market"  (Read 2003 times)

427HISS

• View Profile
Barry 2008 "No long rods for an FE on the market"
« on: July 24, 2017, 11:29:11 AM »
Hey Barry or others,
I was reading a interview with Barry in Hot Rod Magazine back in 2008. Has any company come out with a longer FE rod ?

Barry's quote-

"Attached to the crankshaft is a set of Scat 6.490-inch H-beam connecting rods. Though they sound like really long rods, they are the factory length. Barry points out: “It’s one of the weak points on the FE for parts, because in aftermarket support, although they’re getting much better, there are no long rods for an FE on the market. The only rod choice is the 6.490-inch factory-dimension rod.” That is not to say that it’s a short rod when compared to the stroke, it’s just that when compared to the deck height of the block, it forces the engine builder to use a tall, heavy piston. Always one to find the good elements in what he is forced to deal with, Barry points out that the tall pistons actually do a very good job of stabilizing the lightweight Speed-Pro rings and keeping the piston from rocking back and forth"

scott foxwell

Re: Barry 2008 "No long rods for an FE on the market"
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 01:45:30 PM »
With aftermarket cranks and pistons using Chevy rod and pin dimensions, you can use any BB Chevy rod and long ones are plentiful...but AFAIK there aren't any "long" rods with factory crank and pin configurations without going custom.

preaction

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 04:39:19 PM »
Hiss, that quote is almost 10 years old.

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 09:23:27 PM »
Hiss, that quote is almost 10 years old.

I know, that's why I included the year 2008.
Just wondering if any company has created one for the FE, besides using Chevy rods.