Author Topic: Fun Ford "Reloaded" at Norwalk Winner!  (Read 3773 times)

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
Fun Ford "Reloaded" at Norwalk Winner!
« on: July 10, 2017, 09:13:50 AM »
Well, after a rough start to the 3 day event, I pulled it out on Sunday and won Nostalgia class. Then onto the King Ford Run off I went to the semi finals.

Weather was near perfect, except for some light rain on Friday morning as we entered the gates. Beyond that it was blue skies and perfect summer breeze for three days.

We started with 2 time trials Friday for the Gamblers race that afternoon. I have been having horrible time with my lights so I was playing clutch linkage and front tire pressures to get myself back into it. I was close, but with a -.004 first round I was not quite there.

Saturday we got 3 time trials and I was doing well on the lights and the car was running well, in the 11.00-11.03 range. Traction was good and it was carrying the wheels to the 60ft mark. My first faux-paw of the weekend was trying to finally try out the 780 carbs I had converted to single feed. As I was swapping them out I had to swap AN fittings on the carbs. Well my rear carb fitting was stripped and would only unscrew about 1 turn and lock up. I quickly decided to not go any farther. I then tried to get the fitting back in and NOT leak. It took a few adjustments but just short of completely stripping it, it quit leaking like a sprinkler. Ugh. My next major failure was after winnning first round with a .004 light.............I somehow, with much ado I never heard the call for second round and missed it completely. Ugh. My big issue was there was no one around me with Nostalgia class to "watch" for. The sound system is all that at Norwalk(Summit Equip Motorsport Park), but they had it turned down to "1" and you could barely hear it only if no cars were running. In the thick of things it was very hard to hear. It was my complete fault. Oh well. Sunday I turned the radio on in my trailer and had it blaring so that issue could not happen again.

On to Sunday, the car was running well, my lights were good and I went 5 rounds to win the class. That is where the King Ford run off comes into play. They take Sat and Sun winners and run them off. I had to run Sat NOS winner to advance. I stepped up really hard, put a .000 light on him! I then had to run the Street class winner. I adjusted clutch linkage and tire pressure and went .035 to his .025. I went -.002 under my dial. It was moot as he went dead on with a 5. There was no wiggle room if you do the math. That Street class winner(son of a fellow I raced with at DW42 for years) went on to beat the No box winner for King Ford!!! (Box and No box had run off to get a winner).

All in all a good weekend. I did find out that my helmet is out of date? WTH? I told them that I just was at Columbus and they didn't say anything(and Trails is very, very strict). He just said they musta not looked very close. He let me run but said I better get a helmet for my next race. Sooooo, I guess my winnings will go towards a new bucket, and a couple new fittings for the carbs.

Until I get a new photo acct set up somewhere, not pics to add.
Larry

57 lima bean

Re: Fun Ford "Reloaded" at Norwalk Winner!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 12:33:16 PM »
The ebb and flow of racing.I've missed calls too.You did seem to ralley.Not a bad weekend for ya.

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 01:03:43 PM »
By Sunday I got to thinking..............in 22 yrs I've only missed TWO calls.  Both at Norwalk, both Fun Ford events.  The last one was maybe 15 yrs ago?  I went and raised a stink about it to someone in charge.  There was a few of us that missed it.  They basically put us back in for next round.  This time, it was not going to happen that way since it was "only me".

When I originally went up to the lanes, "Jeff"(works the back of staging) told me "Sorry, you missed it Larry".  So, after I won Sunday and the winners were up at the starting line getting pictures Jeff was standing there.  I walked over and told him "See what happens when I DO show up for second round".  He laughed.
Larry

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 01:10:55 PM »
Nice job Larry!  You cut some pretty spectacular lights...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 02:03:46 PM »
If you were at the first two stick races you wouldn't be saying much...... ;D.   I was fighting it at Beaver.  I finally got my "tune up" and feel pretty confident.  A little "luck" along the way doesn't hurt either.   Like the final round of Nostalgia, I was dialed 10.96, running a 12.4 Y block Sedan.  He left, I left.   The red lights came on both sides.........I was crushed.  Then my win light started flashing.  With NHRA's new ruling about first or worst and not showing the red lights til BOTH cars leave.  He was .-033 and I was -.012 so I took the win.  I ran it out and went 10.966 on my 10.96.  The ol dump truck motor powered battle wagon does me proud sometimes.  Almost gives the appearance that I know what the hell I'm doing..... ;)   The run off against Saturdays winner I went .000 on the light.   Ouch.

In the semi finals of the Run off, I dialed up ONE(cause my slip showed the car had slowed down .005-.007 through the last run).  I put 10.97 on the window.   That is where I went 10.968 on my 10.97.  Ugh.  But the other guy had .01 better light and went dead on with 5.   I had to basically break out or just not get there.  Mathematically it was not possible for me to take the win.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 02:09:32 PM by BattlestarGalactic »
Larry

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 02:17:43 PM »
Link to Norwalk write up:

https://www.summitmotorsportspark.com/news/81-news/1311-daily-race-results-for-fun-ford-reloaded-2

In Nostalgia Ford, where old school cool is never-ending, Larry Kortkamp and John Feistritzer each turned on a red light in their 1964 Ford wagon and 1957 Fairlane respectively, but Kortkamp, whose reaction time was -.012, took the win and put up a 10.96 on his 10.96 dial while Feistritzer put up a 12.53 on his 12.42 dial.

Larry

FElony

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 02:40:54 PM »
"Exsssellent", hisses FElony. "But what's this Kortkamp jazz? I thought your last name was Serpico. Couldn't be wrong; I'm never wrong." [drums fingers on desk] "Oh wait!" FElony exclaims. "You're under cover again! Silly me, of course. Don't worry, my lips are sealed from now on." [crowd cheers, enjoys the silence]
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 02:42:30 PM by FElony »

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 03:04:32 PM »
Well......before I was really, really grey,  I was told I was Chuck Norris(in my jeans, leather coat and cowboy boots--my normal attire).  My friends call me Macgyver because I can build/fix anything.  According to the g/f when I hop on the Harley and I turn into Sam Elliot(from Roadhouse).  At the airport one day I was told I was Michael McDonald?  I told the TSA agent that I couldn't be cause I can't carry a tune in a bucket.

Me from 1996?  (on right)
Larry

GJCAT427

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2017, 03:54:30 PM »
Larry, remind me to show you my drivers license next time I see ya. I didn`t have my beard when they took it and people swear I look like David Crosby of  Crosby Stills and Nash! On  a second note, my wife is related to Rodger McGuin of the Birds fame, and yes we have met him.

FElony

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2017, 03:57:43 PM »
Well......before I was really, really grey,  I was told I was Chuck Norris(in my jeans, leather coat and cowboy boots--my normal attire).  My friends call me Macgyver because I can build/fix anything.  According to the g/f when I hop on the Harley and I turn into Sam Elliot(from Roadhouse).  At the airport one day I was told I was Michael McDonald?  I told the TSA agent that I couldn't be cause I can't carry a tune in a bucket.

Hmm, an alien Shape Shifter posing as a Trans Shifter. I must ponder the implications. Seriously, though, wasn't there a pic of you leaving the starting line on the track where you looked like Serpico behind the wheel?

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2017, 08:54:55 PM »
The first time my wife saw him, she said he looked like Michael McDonald. I had to agree. Needless to say, I don't leave her alone with him for very long ;D ;D
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2017, 10:14:44 PM »
No worries Doug.  I can't even whistle a Doobie brothers song.....  ???

Had a good laugh, maybe 6 years ago.  Out with my friend on the motorcycles and he says "let's swing by my aunt's house".  Ok, fine.  Well they're like 65+ yrs old.   The one gets to smiling and says I'd like to take you home.  LOL!!  She says, "oh don't you worry, I just wanna sit and look at ya"   ;D ;D   TRUE STORY!
Larry

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2017, 07:34:19 AM »
"pulled it out on Sunday and won Nostalgia class"

Congrats man, that's awesome !    8)