Author Topic: Best valve cover gasket  (Read 2175 times)

Dot Heton

• View Profile
Best valve cover gasket
« on: June 11, 2017, 06:43:35 PM »
I have a slight step from the intake to the head. I continue to have oil coming from this mismatched area. Who makes a softer, more compliant valve cover gasket. I've tried a cork set and a rubber set that might have been Fel-pro.

plovett

Re: Best valve cover gasket
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 07:27:52 PM »
Can you add a little bit of your favorite silicone at the mismatched point?  I've have good luck with The Right Stuff.  Some people don't like it because it's hard to remove, but if you're just using it at the problematic section then no big deal?

JMO,

paulie

gregb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 08:10:12 PM »
I have the same issue.  I just grabbed whatever silicone I had laying around and put a dab at the 'step.'  No more leak.  I used Fel-Pro cork. 

Dot Heton

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 08:41:41 PM »
I could use a dab of silicone but I plan to check or adjust the valves fairly often and I don't know how well it will reseal. I'm hoping for a softer material than the cork.

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 10:50:54 PM »
I use right stuff and glue one of the metal core rubber gaskets to the head. Nothing on the valve cover side. Tighten it down and let it set up, remove cover the next day and trim/clean up any over hang of right stuff from inside the head.. now you can take cover on and off with no worries.

Side note,
Im using thick rail fabricated valve covers.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 07:42:50 AM by fekbmax »
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

Dot Heton

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 11:06:46 PM »
I'll try sticking it to the head this time. I've been using Indianhead to glue it to the valve cover.