Author Topic: Can a Long shifter be downshifted?  (Read 10645 times)

cjshaker

• View Profile
Can a Long shifter be downshifted?
« on: May 23, 2017, 09:37:10 PM »
I've been looking at a good shifter to use, like the Long or V-Gate style, inline shifters. Only thing is, it needs to be streetable, so being capable of downshifting is pretty much mandatory. Ive never used one but understand and have seen how a Long shifter works, but has anyone used one on the street? Just guessing, but it looks like with a good feel, one could raise the lever just enough to put it into the next lower gear. Comfort would be a secondary consideration over performance.

OR, is there a similar but better style I should be looking at. The V-Gate looks similar, but don't know much about them and have never seen one in use. YouTube videos and internet searches have produced sketchy results at best.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Rory428

• View Profile
Re: Can a Long shifter be downshifted?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 12:04:46 AM »
I guess it all depends on how you define "streetable".  Back in the mid 70s, I installed a new Hurst Ram Rod inline shifter in my 273 4 speed 65 Plymouth Valiant. Hacking the massive hole in the floor did not concern me at the time, and for a while, having the seperate reverse lever, and having to pull up the trigger to get into 1rst gear was  kinda cool, but after a while, it all started getting to be a hassle. I have Long V Gate shifters on both Jericos, great for banging gears at the dragstrip, but I sure wouldn`t want to live with one in a street car. Maybe your tolerance level is higher than mine. I have a Hurst Super Shifter3 in my 59, still requires a pretty good sized crater in the trans tunnel, but not quite as massive as the V Gate.  But unless you are racing the car regularly, I really like a Hurst Comp/Plus, plus no floor chopping. Long story short, the downshifting of a Long shifter is doable, at least with a syncronized transmission, not so much with a race trans like a Jerico, or a crashbox.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 12:09:35 AM by Rory428 »
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 07:48:35 AM »
Yes, a V gate is easily downshift-able.  Easier then a 5spd as you only have 2 gates to pick from(1-2, 3-4), unlike a 5spd with 3 gates(1-2, 3-4, 5-r and putting the lever in the right position to get what you want.  It comes with practice).  Even my Nash I can down shift easily, just have to learn the RPM/speed and you can shift it any time you like without crashing gears.  Faceplating makes it even easier then dog ring style.

Should have jumped in my car and taken a feel.  A Piston grip makes it even easier as you don't have to reach over the T handle and down to get to the trigger.  I ran a V gate in my '69 F100 for many, many moons.  I had to custom make the mounts to get it high enough in the truck to be comfortable and easy enough to reach.

The only downfall is the L A R G E hole you need to cut in the tunnel to get it to fit.  I'm talking 6" wide, 12" long? (Save the panel and you can reinstall it if you like).  The shifting mechanism is quite bulky.  The early Hurst Ram Rod was only the size of a std comp plus shifter and you didn't need to cut the floor to get it to fit.  They are long gone and now the only thing available is the larger Long style(Mr gasket made it back in the day, Hurst also copied it).  I have a Ramrod in the garage somewhere, it is beat to death/sloppy and would lock up constantly thus I took it out of my truck and got the Long style.  The Long style lasts a lifetime and you won't regret using it.

I do know that in a Mustang like yours it might take a custom mount to get it rolled back enough to NOT run your fist into the dash when going for 3rd.  My friend had issues originally and Hurst finally made him one that rolled the shifter back at an angle enough to eliminate the dash hitting issue(he used to get red knuckles).  Nothing catastrophic, but just an issue.  In a race car with no dash pad it would not be a problem.

I made my own handle for my car because I sit so far back.  Works flawless.
Larry

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 09:43:50 AM »
Thanks Rory and Larry, I appreciate the real world experience. I fretted about the hole cutting, but figured I could make it so the panel and console could be replaced if the shifter was removed. I used to worry about affecting the value, but honestly I don't care anymore. I'll never sell the car, and I'm pretty sure I wont care when I'm dead...lol The only thing I'd hate to lose is the console, which is a big part of the Mustang interior.

I can get a feel for shifting just about anything, from years of downshifting non-snychro trannies. I'm about the only person I know that can downshift an early Falcon or Comet into first while the car is still moving, and not clash gears. Getting a 'feel' for how far to pull the lever (on a pistol grip style) I imagine would not be a big issue, for the reasons Larry mentioned, fewer gates.

I wasn't aware of the dash issue. I have a friend who owns a well equipped machine shop, so fabricating a mounting plate to roll it back would also not be a huge issue.

So what would be the issue with dog ring style sliders? I'm looking into this for a Jerico transmission, which I think are all dog ring? Maybe their road race trannies are faceplated (?), but this is for a drag application (haven't really looked at their road race styles). I'm aware of several people who use a Jerico on the street, and as I understand, they've changed their dog rings with a slightly beveled back-cut so they don't pop out of gear when torque is released. Detailed info seems to be hard to find, so I'm sure I should talk to Jerico about this, but you guys are around this stuff and experience counts. I had considered going the faceplate route on a spare toploader I have, but I don't think the toploader would hold up to a new engine in the works. I've seen the issues Thor has had with his in the past, until he switched. I'm not a fan of R&R-ing the tranny on a regular basis. ???

In a nutshell, I'm basically looking to make it bulletproof for drag racing, yet still be able to drive it occasionally on the street and during Drag Week.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 10:17:09 AM »
The old dog ring style(don't think Jerico uses that anymore) is just a bit touchier to feel and engagement.  Not a deal breaker in any manor.  The face plated stuff just kinda "sucks" itself into gear easier and it won't clash or burr up like the old dog ring style.  My old Nash was still dog ring'd on 1-2, but faceplated 3-5.  It really didn't matter I could shift it around the pits without a clunk or grind.  I suppose 15 yrs of driving the Mack kind gives me "the touch".  Pretty sure you will pick up on it and not be an issue.

Larry

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 12:46:55 PM »
As far as I know, all Jericos are flat plated, like Larry said, once you pull it out of one gear, it practically jumps into the next.  I have never had either off my Jericos pop out of gear, under lifted throttle, although I believe that is the case with the clutchless models. I  was assuming you were talking about using a Long V Gate shifter with a Toploader, with a Jerico I would absolutely recommend a Long shifter. A face plated Toploader would work pretty good, but the Jerico does have several advantages, including much lighter weight, no drain plug pointing down to dig into your chest or make it tricky to use a trans jack, multiple shifter locations, and most helpful, a wide selection of easily changed ratios. With a  Toploader you are stuck with either a 2.32, 2.78, or a weak aftermarket 2.90 low gear ratio, Jerico offers at least as low as a 3.25 1rst gear. Most guys I know usually run between a 2.93 to 3.19 1rst. One thing to consider, is that the older DR4 Jerico is no longer sold new by Jerico, only the "upgraded" and much more expensive DR 4-4 revision. Hopefully Jerico will continue to offer parts for the older DR4, but a local guy needed a new input shaft for his Jerico, used in a FOX Mustang application (longer input shaft) in the 1 3/16"x18 MoPar Hemi spline with Ford pilot sizing, and Jerico said they no longer offered that piece. A few years ago, I bought that exact same input for my 85 Mustang. So if you find a used Jerico, that is a non FE application, I would confirm that Jerico can supply the parts to make it fit the FE application. Both my FE and SBF Jericos use the 18 spline MoPar inputs with the length and pilot top correct for each application. Not saying a GM or MoPar  application could not be modified to fit a FE, but its nice to have it be a direct fit. If you currently run a 1 3/8" big input Toploader, Jerico does (or did) offer that input and bearing retainer, so you could bolt it on, and retain your big input clutch fork and throw out bearing. With my MoPar spline input, I use a regular small input Ford throw out bearing and fork. Also, the Jerico uses a larger 32 spline Turbo 400 slip yoke spline on the output shaft.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 01:18:47 PM »
I've been doing a little research, so I may be getting some terms mixed up. I'm still learning this stuff. I might have gotten the info on jumping out of gear mixed up with the Lenco transmissions, which I think is an issue with them. I also looked at them...briefly..lol  BIG price tag!

The strength and ratio choices are the main reasons for even considering the change. I was aware, from previous discussions, about the older DR-4 model getting difficult to find certain parts for, and I'm sure it's only a matter of time before they become near impossible to find. I'm also aware of the different inputs, and the large FE input seems to be scarce, used anyway. I wasn't aware of the larger output though, but no issues changing that.

And yes, Larry, if I had been thinking straight, I would have checked out your set-up closer at the FERR. I might catch you at one of the UMTR races this year though. I've been thinking about joining just to have some fun with the car, and not having to deal with the headaches of sanctioned NHRA races.

Again, thanks for the input on downshifting a Long shifter.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

67gt350

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 01:43:08 PM »
Doug, I have researched this for my 68 Mustang and found another couple issues to consider. Not only is the hole large to install a long shifter with any transmission there are not many options to seal around the shifter because of its size and shape, also it moves the shifter much closer to the driver than conventional shifters. This is good for control and precise shifts but it is a big change. I found some pictures I have attached of a very cool 68 that uses the transmission you are planning to use. He creatively used the factory carpet and bound the edges but I don't know if there is any other seal like a shift boot there. Hope this helps.

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 02:10:19 PM »
I drive a Soft Loc clutched Verti-gate shifted on street that was "old schooled " grind a couple and leave a tooth on the synchro's initially when I bought the trans and then  I converted back to full synchro assembly shortly after to sort other problems first , I would like to get it Faceplated from Liberty one of these years soon and hit a few UMTRA races ... Like the others say it takes a little practice like driving a car without a clutch , you have to match vehicle speed with engine rpm and the gear your selecting

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 02:14:41 PM »
I've been doing a little research, so I may be getting some terms mixed up. I'm still learning this stuff. I might have gotten the info on jumping out of gear mixed up with the Lenco transmissions, which I think is an issue with them. I also looked at them...briefly..lol  BIG price tag!

You are thinking about a FULL CLUTCHLESS set up, like Liberty Equalizer, or even the full clutchless G force GF5R.  They do not hold gear if not under power.  The split sliders just pop back to neutral position.  Lenco(or Jeffco) are planetary transmissions just like an automatic.  Nothing to worry about coming out of gear, but very power robbing set up.

And yes, Larry, if I had been thinking straight, I would have checked out your set-up closer at the FERR. I might catch you at one of the UMTR races this year though. I've been thinking about joining just to have some fun with the car, and not having to deal with the headaches of sanctioned NHRA races.

Again, thanks for the input on downshifting a Long shifter.

You joining the North UMTR?  We don't really race out your way.  Only other race this season is Pacemakers Aug 5th.  We were at Trails a couple weeks ago.  Not that I don't want you to come run with us, but won't be "close".   Edgar comes from Marion area every race.  Heck one guy comes from New England for our races!!!

As for inputs?  That is only the lengths that are critical.   I run a typical chrysler hemi spline input, but with Ford pilot bearing diameter(I welded mine up from the Chevy dimension it was when I bought it).  I actually run a big input Ford bearing retainer on my nash/Gforce box.  Same bolt pattern.  That allowed me to still run my big input bearing/fork from my toploader.  I just had to come up with another seal to match the retainer bore and the input shaft size.  Common off the shelf piece.

If you ever want to talk, call me and we can go over stuff.  If you get to a race, I'll take you for a spin and show how to drive wtih a Long shifter.

With the repair issues with Jerico you might want to look at Gforce G101 4 spd.
Larry

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 09:42:58 PM »
Thanks for those pictures. I wouldn't be too worried about the sealing, I could work it so that it wasn't really an issue unless I went puddle jumping :)  The only real chance of the car seeing rain is during Drag Week. The shifter is actually far enough left that I had considered notching the console and have it sticking up beside it, except for the reverse lever. Yep, that idea was out..lol

Larry, it wouldn't be a serious venture to try and make all the meets, but I'd be willing to travel a bit to make a few of them. I've looked at their schedule and saw that most were fairly far east and south from me. But I travel to eastern Pennsylvania just to have a little fun, so... I'm just into having fun with the car at this point, and I like the idea of an all manual class!

I knew I was getting some of the other trannys mixed up. I only briefly looked into some of the higher end stuff, so my recollection is far off I'm sure.  I need to do a lot more research to understand all the differences and ins and outs of each one. Like for instance, I had not really heard about repair issues with the Jerico's. What would those be? My mind is not made up yet, so that's why I'm asking and learning. And I'll look into the G101.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2017, 07:44:11 AM »
Seems Jerico runs out of parts for transmissions they deem obsolete.  Buy their newest one and have parts.  Run an older version and take your chances if something happens to it.  No first hand experience, but just have heard from those that run them.

As for making a boot around shifter?  I made a box with a lip, then used a big super shifter boot to cover it all up.  Works well, even after 22 yrs it is still hanging in there.

I wasn't sure what your plans were for UMTR.  Not sure if the South group would be a closer venue.  Though I don't run with them so you would have to make some new friends there.  Keep me posted on which races you plan to attend.
Larry

67gt350

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2017, 02:19:05 PM »
Doug, have you considered a Richmond/Doug Nash 5 speed? The older Street 4+1 ( I am using one in my 70 fastback ) has a 1:1 5th gear so you can run a higher numeric gear ( using a 3:25 ) but with the transmissions 1st-4th ratio it is like having a 4:88 rear gear. The math worked out to be about 2200 rpm in 5th with a 26.5 diameter tire I think?? been awhile since I looked at the paperwork. You can find these used reasonably price. I think it would work out well especially for a situation like Drag Week. Puddle jumping ! Lol ! Your car is way to nice to do that to...

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2017, 02:36:44 PM »
You could always go the lenco ST 1200 route.  Sure, they rob a little power, about as much as a C-6 but there tuff, easy streetable, and super easy to work on and make changes.  At about $5100.oo your going to be in that much with a G-101A easy unless you find a good used older G-101 . Sooo many choices,  lol.. I have no doubt you will make the right choice for you.
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2017, 02:39:19 PM »
A friend had a Richmond 5speed in a Blown BB Corvette it worked fine
easy to shift

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it