Author Topic: MSD 8595 "Ready to Run" distributor seems "Ready to Stop"  (Read 7797 times)

amdscooter

• View Profile
Re: MSD 8595 "Ready to Run" distributor seems "Ready to Stop"
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2017, 05:46:03 PM »
I've had a 8595 in my 67 for about 4 years now. My issues documented here: http://fepower.net/simplemachinesforum/index.php?topic=958.0

After getting the initial issues sorted it's run fine since. Added the 6AL box a lil later w/o issues. Got a few thousand miles on it maintenance free and I've been very happy with it.  Let us know if the return unit works out for ya.

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2017, 09:53:06 PM »
Marc, my comment about $1,000 meant that dividing the cost of shipping by the distance I've been able to drive it so far works out to $1,000 a mile. I didn't even get 100 yards on it before it packed it in.

It is just annoying as hell to get told to pay to ship back a product that worked for a few minutes. I'd rather make a joke about it than curse.

Barry is very generous to offer to send a pickup. I have had a quick look online, but can't find a part number for a replacement pickup. Seems a bit dodgy to have to carry a back up in the glove box!
1969 F100 4WD (It ain't yellow anymore)
445 with BBM heads, Prison Break stroker kit, hydrualic roller cam, T&D rockers, Street Dominator Intake with QFT SS 830.

Paul.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2017, 10:24:16 PM »
The pickup should be the same as 99% of their distributors take, part #84661.

Here's Summits' link to it...
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-84661
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2017, 12:03:40 AM »
The pickup should be the same as 99% of their distributors take, part #84661.

Here's Summits' link to it...
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-84661

Much appreciated - when I looked at that part it didn't specify what distributors it works with. I do love this forum.
445 with BBM heads, Prison Break stroker kit, hydrualic roller cam, T&D rockers, Street Dominator Intake with QFT SS 830.

Paul.

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2017, 09:54:59 PM »
I got the Ford distributor with the Pertronix 1 pickup installed and started it this evening. It is very happy at 35 degrees of advance at 3,500 rpm, falls back to around 14 degrees at idle.

Good part is it rips the tires loose at 20 mph in second, and climbs just over 6,000 in no time. In third it pulls really strongly from 2,000 to 6,000, and if I back off it doesn't backfire or pop.

Bad part, still diesels on shut down, and I have only 6 inches of vacuum at idle. It is also idling a little fast at around 1,000. My buddy suggested cooler plugs, but I note that the engine is running at the low end of the warm range. I will get an O2 sensor in it, and I have some messing with the carb to do, but curious about causes of dieseling and low vacuum.

Carb is a QFT SS 830, and the cam is not insane - it is a hydraulic roller, on a 445 with BBM heads:

Paul.

The Real McCoy

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2017, 08:19:24 AM »
The 6" vacuum at idle does seem low for your setup so it will be interesting to hear what you find out on that subject.

As for the dieseling when you turn it off, that may be normal when it is fully warmed up and idling at 1000 RPM. Getting the idle speed down would be your best bet in making improvements on this problem.  If 1000 RPM is where you have to be I would suggest get in the habit of letting the clutch out with the transmission in gear as you turn the key off to kill the engine with out dieseling. Your on the road description seems to indicate a manual transmission. I have a 462 wit 9.8:1  CR, Comp 280H cam that likes to idle best at 900-1000 RPM, it will always diesel when it is warmed up. This method works well for me. I am using 91 octane gas.
63 1/2 Galaxie 500
428 CJ Stroker with 427 2x4 Intake, 427 Long Exhaust Manifolds, Quick Fuel Carbs and TKO 600.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it’s what we know for sure that just ain’t so."                            Mark Twain

Landlubberatsea

• Jan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2017, 12:18:50 AM »
When I read this thread this morning I thought about writing how I hadn't had any problem with my 8595 or other MSD products. I didn't do so but the thought it self seemed to be enough to jinx my day :o ;D
After reading the thread I actually went to the local parts shop and asked them to order a spare pickup for me as recommended here. I then decided to go to another town to talk to a guy about installing an O2 meter. Halfway there, just after turning in on a bigger road the car just died. Luckily there was a bus stop just there which I could limp in to.
I have limited mechanical knowledge but understood it had something to do with the ignition. A friend of mine had earlier adviced me to keep a spare coil in the car so I decided to change that and hurray the car started again :D I turned around, went back to the parts store and asked them to add two Blaster 2 coils to the order......
So at 43 years of age I lost my roadside mechanic virginity ;D I'm just so lucky it was to something I both had the knowledge and spares for :D MSD might be an expensive choice if this continues, Blaster had 250 miles in it. :P
-68 Torino GT with a 390 that turned out to be a 360 but now is becoming a 445....