Author Topic: 35 spline axles  (Read 3331 times)

Jim Comet

• View Profile
35 spline axles
« on: April 03, 2017, 09:29:37 PM »
I am going to order a new aluminum thru bolt center for my 9 inch in my Comet. I was thinking of getting a 35 spline spool. Does anyone know if there is an issue using 35 spline axles in a factory housing that has 2 3/4 inch tubes? Are there any drawback to using 35 spline axles? Thanks, Jim

thatdarncat

• View Profile
Re: 35 spline axles
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 11:40:55 PM »
I just ordered & received my 35 spline axles from Strange a couple months ago for my Cougar project. I'm using a Mustang 9" rear end that has been braced and spring perches boxed and has the small bearing 2-3/4" ends. It was no problem having them made with the small bearing, but most people seem to like the larger bearing ends. Probably make sure your choice of brakes is going to work with the small bearing too. You're ordering a good aftermarket case, so it shouldn't be a problem, but usually you need the 3.25" bearing 9" case to work with 35 spline spool, but Mark Williams makes a special spool/bearing that will work with the 3.06" bearing case. If you're not using a spool make sure your choice of differential will work. In your instance probably be sure to get the 3.25" case. Other downside would be 35 spline axles will weigh more than 31, but you could get them gun drilled to lighten for a strict drag race application. I talked to all the major axle companies at PRI, the only company that felt confident their gun drilled 35 spline axles would hold up to street use ( I plan on Dragweek) was Mark Williams. In the end I just went with Strange and skipped the gun drilling. I had Strange drill my axles for all three wheel bolt patterns, mostly to save a little more weight, and although their website lists an extra charge, they did not charge extra. Maybe I just got lucky. The extra holes also give you access to the retaining nuts. There are other things they can do to save weight, but it will depend on what you intend to do.
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 06:35:43 AM »
In the end I just went with Strange and skipped the gun drilling. I had Strange drill my axles for all three wheel bolt patterns, mostly to save a little more weight, and although their website lists an extra charge, they did not charge extra. Maybe I just got lucky.

Yeah, knowing Strange as I do I had to laugh out loud, you DID get lucky as they charge for EVERYTHING! Great products though.
Bob Maag

Jim Comet

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 07:00:09 AM »
I am getting it through Lou Fegers racing in Delano. I have bought enough stuff from them that they sell to me at racer pricing. Because of that they are cheaper than Summit racing on most parts. I am getting a complete center section (housing, spool and yoke) with REM polished gears all set up for less than Quick performance would charge. Fegers are sourcing it through PEM performance, hopefully their quality is good. I will know in a week or so when it shows up. On the Strange axles, did you get their Hy-Tuf axles or just their regular alloy axles? The car will hopefully be running in the low 11's so I am pretty sure any 35 spline axle will be more than enough. I appreciate you guys thoughts and experience on this. Thanks, Jim

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 08:52:25 AM »
Everything here is running on 31 spline, small bearing with custom 3" tube heavy duty housings (one from Peyton, one from Currie).  We've run at the bottom of 11s for years, all the parts look brand new.  My axles are MW, been in the housing except for gear changes since 1999.  x000s of rounds on them.  So 35s - if they fit - should last you indefinitely. 

I would consider replacing your housing - the larger bearings last longer and the heavy wall 3" tubes do not flex as much.  The flex also hurts the special small end bearings.  I've replaced several bearings when running the old stock housings, only one of the special size o-ring bearings in my car since 1999.  And that was only because of the bearing seal leaking.

Jim Comet

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 09:14:25 AM »
So do you think I would be better off bearing wise going with a 31 or 33 spline axle? The car is pretty heavy but I am a footbrake racer so the axles don't see a lot of shock load. I had been running low 12's for years with a locker and 28 spline axles. I figure I better upgrade if I am going to let my son run the car also. Jim

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 11:27:53 AM »
Do you have a brace on that stock housing?  I would suggest that if you don't.  If not, then maybe upgrade to a big housing(with brace) and then not have to worry.  I used to run my stock housing and I basically destroyed it going hi 12's.  I put a Moser housing(big tube, big end) under the car long ago.  Never a problem.  I put 35 spline in it from the get go, but the wagon had big bearing ends from the factory so it all fit easily.

33's would likely be fine with a footbrake car.
Larry

Posi67

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 12:10:19 AM »
No Problem with the 35 spline and small bearing.. at least in my case. 1000+ low 10 second runs in a stick car without an issue but my stuff is all M/W. You'd probably be fine with 31 spline axles but the 35's are the same money so don't be afraid of the upgrade. Unless you are running Pro Stock or Comp Eliminator then don't worry about any extra weigh for beefier components.

Jim Comet

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 06:53:40 AM »
I pulled the trigger on the 35 spline center. I just don't have the cash to upgrade the housing. I footbrake with a 3400 stall converter so I don't really shock the rear that much. I braced my perches so hopefully the rest of the housing will hold up for a while. Thanks, Jim

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2017, 09:31:42 AM »
That'll probably be fine.  I just prefer the heavy duty 9" housings for stiffness.  The last one was from Currie, $400 total dropped on the porch by UPS.  Complete with specified width, small ends and perches.  Even my "street/strip" door car leaves at 4000, the Mustang leaves at 4700.  So IMHO you need more converter!  :lol: