Author Topic: TKO mid shifter in Galaxie  (Read 2449 times)

ewo357

• View Profile
TKO mid shifter in Galaxie
« on: March 18, 2017, 07:53:40 PM »
Does anyone use the mid shifter instead of rear on their TKO?

I'm thinking the mid shifter would look more like the original position in my '66 Galaxie. I don't have a console or buckets, just a bench seat.

Any thoughts???

ewo357

• View Profile
Re: TKO mid shifter in Galaxie
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 03:06:03 PM »
Bueller.....Bueller.....Bueller......?

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 07:32:38 AM »
Very few people pay for the mid shift and generally just make the handle bend the way they want it

I installed a mid shift in a 67 F100 and it was beautiful, put the shifter in exactly the right place.  My hunch is, it may be a bit far forward on a passenger car, certainly on a Mustang, but I have never paid attention on a Galaxie, and haven't done a TKO swap on one.

FYI, they aren't cheap and can be tough to find, so if the standard rear shifter doesn't hit the seat, it is likely the more affordable option
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 01:41:45 PM »
Yep, they are impossible to find.

With that being said, the rear socket position on a TKO will turn 180°.  You can take the shifter as delivered, flip it 180, and put the shifter stub about 3" further forward that before.

As Ross said, there are so many aftermarket shifters and shifter handles out there that you can generally make anything work without much effort.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

ewo357

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 04:12:15 PM »
Thanks guys!

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 06:30:49 PM »
I had a TKO 600 in my 66 Galaxie(and hope to again sometime) and it fit pretty good in it's stock location towards the rear. If I remember right, I used a Hurst shift handle for a 71 Camaro and I heated it up at the bottom and bent it a little closer to the drivers side. Here is a pic of it in my car. I believe the seat may have been slid back but I can't remember.

ewo357

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 12:05:32 PM »
Thanks for the picture! That helps a lot!

Katz427

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 02:48:06 PM »
If Alan reads this I am wondering how much cutting on the tunnel to get it all to fit.
I have a 1968 toploader with a hurst shifter and it is rearward compared to the 1966 galaxie toploader by probably 1.5" but it works. I have seen some galaxies where they really modified the tunnel to get the angle correct. I am wondering if they really needed that much room. Planning on a tko in my 1966 galaxie.