Author Topic: FE Power Cast Aluminum Valve Covers  (Read 52556 times)

Gregwill16

• View Profile
Re: FE Power Cast Aluminum Valve Covers
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2017, 09:29:59 AM »
Yeah not much of a fan of the T style pan myself. It's just a thought, but I was thinking more along the lines of a conventional style finned pan mostly for street cars.   

stroked67

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2017, 08:10:59 PM »
OK Jay sounds good, look forward to test fitting. On a side note, finally got my car to track, not too impressed yet. Ran a 13.67 at 99mph, granted we are at 6200 feet above sea level and spun for 20-30 feet, but need it faster. Been thinking of putting an 8-71 on, seems difficult to find the parts needed, any suggestions on where to find these? Intake, blower, pulleys, distributor that fits etc.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2017, 09:43:20 PM »
I've actually never run a roots type supercharger, so I'm not sure where you would get those parts.  Maybe contact one of the companies that specialize in blowers?
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

comet2

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2017, 01:24:08 AM »
hi jay, do you still have vc  for sale if so could you post pics thanx

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2017, 08:31:30 AM »
OK Jay sounds good, look forward to test fitting. On a side note, finally got my car to track, not too impressed yet. Ran a 13.67 at 99mph, granted we are at 6200 feet above sea level and spun for 20-30 feet, but need it faster. Been thinking of putting an 8-71 on, seems difficult to find the parts needed, any suggestions on where to find these? Intake, blower, pulleys, distributor that fits etc.

Try B.D.S., Dyers, Hampton or Littlefield. These are the top suppliers in the racing/street industry.

https://www.google.com/search?q=6.71+blower+suppliers&rlz=1C1SAVS_enUS541US568&oq=6.71+blower+suppliers&aqs=chrome..69i57.6367j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 08:33:26 AM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2017, 06:45:41 PM »
hi jay, do you still have vc  for sale if so could you post pics thanx

I haven't started delivering the production valve covers yet, it took most of the summer to work through some of the finish issues I have had with the prototype castings from the foundry.  However, I am expecting to have the production valve covers ready in 2-3 weeks, and start delivering them then.  I currently have a list of about 50 people who want them, so I will be delivering the covers to those folks first.  If you want to get on my list for a set, email me at jayb@fepower.net

Some pictures of the prototypes are at the link below:

http://fepower.net/simplemachinesforum/index.php?topic=4481.msg52921#msg52921
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

preaction

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2017, 09:02:00 PM »
Great product Jay you will need a catalog soon !

hwoods

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2017, 09:43:40 AM »
Jay, hopefully I am on the list.  I did email you several weeks back and you did respond

Thanks
it is hard to balance your check book with your testoserone level
Previous FE Cars:   1965 Ford Galaxie 390/4spd then upgraded to 427 sideoiler
1970 Maverick 427 sideoiler.  X Pro Stock Car
Current build in progress 1964 Thunderbolt Clone

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2017, 10:10:33 AM »
Harold, you are on my list, but unfortunately I haven't started delivering the valve covers yet.  I have been having problems with the foundry.  For anyone else interested, here is an update on the valve cover project:

-  The first batch of prototype valve covers I received from the foundry (in May) were functional, but had a fairly rough surface finish.  It turned out that the foundry used the wrong type of sand on the covers.  I machined these covers and showed them at a local show here in Minneapolis in June anyway, but worked with the foundry to resolve this issue.

- The second batch of prototypes had a different problem, again related to surface finish.  I got those in July, and again they were functionally OK, but the outside surface of the valve covers looked kind of like a bad orange peel paint job.  Apparently the sand was sprayed with some kind of coating, and it wasn't done properly.  Once again I went back to the foundry, told them that this was unacceptable, and try again.

- Meanwhile, I found a local company who thought they could refinish some of the recent valve covers to make them acceptable.  They took a couple that I had and did a pretty good job on the large flat surfaces.  So, at the end of August I went to the foundry to pick up a small order of 20 valve cover castings with that defective finish, and took them to the other company to be reworked.  Short story was that they couldn't them right near the edges and corners.   Back to square one. 

- At the beginning of September, I received a cryptic email and letter from a new company, saying that they had purchased the foundry I was using!  Everyone I had been working with at the foundry was gone.  I called and left numerous messages but got not response for two weeks.  Finally, they hired back a few of the people from the foundry that I knew, and one of them got back to me.  So, they have assured me (again) that they understand the issues and that this next go-around, with another 20 prototypes, the surface finish will be correct.  According to their schedule I will be getting the next batch of prototypes by the end of November, hopefully in time for me to display them at PRI.

I just wanted to relay this information to anyone else who may be on my list.  As a small customer to the foundry, I don't get a lot of attention, and with my surface finish requirements for these valve covers they have to pay pretty close attention to the sand cores before they cast.  Hopefully after all this the next batch will be right.  My experience with the foundries I've used is that once they get the prototypes right, the production parts all look pretty good; this has been the case with my intake adapters and my timing covers.  So, I'm hopeful I'm just about at the end of the road here.

In terms of delivery, I will be starting to deliver a few weeks after I get the first good castings, but that is not likely to be until December or January at this point.  I apologize for the delay on these covers, but I am not going to sacrifice my quality standards just to get the product out; these castings are an appearance item and they have to be right, or I won't accept the castings from the foundry.  If you are on my list, thanks for your patience - Jay
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 10:13:41 AM by jayb »
Jay Brown

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2017, 12:37:25 PM »
Not a problem at all.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2017, 03:31:07 PM »
Always fun trying to manufacture anything when
One has to rely on others.
I started in January to make fender emblem inserts for
1965-66 trucks. Small batch turned out great then 3m quit
Making one of the materials needed. Trying to find another solution.
So understand how stuff never goes like one hopes.

Where am I on list for a pair of the covers?

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2017, 03:47:00 PM »
Always fun trying to manufacture anything when
One has to rely on others.
I started in January to make fender emblem inserts for
1965-66 trucks. Small batch turned out great then 3m quit
Making one of the materials needed. Trying to find another solution.
So understand how stuff never goes like one hopes.

Where am I on list for a pair of the covers?

I don't think I've got you on my list, unless its under a different email than you are registered under at the forum.  Did I send you an email or PM confirming you are on the list?  PM me to discuss - Jay
Jay Brown

Pentroof

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2017, 06:37:33 PM »
Jay, if the rework you were looking at was vibratory tumbling, it should work. The issue is tooling and media size.
To keep the gasket surface and edges crisp, you'd have to bolt them to something like a valve cover spacer.  Most small shops only use one or two media types or sizes because they're set up for a common product type.
I'd have to go back and look at the different styles, but you would need some sort of tooling (usually a rubber material that is cast cheaply) to protect sharp features.

Jim
Jim

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2017, 09:02:23 PM »
Jay, if the rework you were looking at was vibratory tumbling, it should work.

Media type is also important. In my experience, using steel shot or beads isn't a good alternative. The steel gets embedded into the aluminum and will turn a rust color over time as it oxidizes. It tends to look kind of crappy, and only a good glass beading will get rid of it permanently.

No problem on time frame. A quality product is better than something that people won't be happy with.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2017, 09:39:38 PM »
Thanks for the update, Jay. Seems like I'm #7 on the list but I'd be down for a cosmetically challenged  pair too. Something I could powder coat....
Kevin McCullah