Author Topic: Ford 6.2L  (Read 4874 times)

482supersnake

Ford 6.2L
« on: March 10, 2017, 10:01:12 PM »
So my daily driver is a 61 f100 swb.

I've done a crown vic front end swap and a 4.6l out of a police cruiser. The truck runs and drives great and the 4.6l honestly has enough power for what I need but from the articles that I have read even after massive upgrades you don't get a lot of bang for your buck with the early 2v 4.6l's. I have been looking for a 6.2l out of a newer superduty as they start out at 385HP and look like a solid foundation to start with. The only draw back is that they don't have a lot of aftermarket support. anyway they all seam to go for $2000+++ and that is with between 80,000 to 150,000 miles on them. In my opinion that seam like a lot for what I would consider a motor that would need to be rebuilt or do I have unreal expectations? All the ones that I have seen look like they have been sitting for a long time and I wouldn't think that used engines like that would be in high demand.

Scott

Katz427

• View Profile
Re: Ford 6.2L
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 04:10:02 AM »
I like the truck! About the 6.2, the fleet here has several and typically get pushed to 200,000 miles and the couple of trucks that are at that mileage run great. I think it is a well designed engine. So I would not be afraid of a 150,000 mile engine if it had oil changes done. No need for a rebuild. So go for it, if that's what you want.

482supersnake

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 07:41:24 PM »
I ending up doing some more searching and found a complete 6.2l core motor the other day for $500. Picked it up today and it looks fairly clean and I was able to put a breaker bar on the front bolt and turn it over by hand. I haven't tore into it yet though.

Now if there was only a forum member who had connections at Ford Racing who might be able to get some left over parts??????

Katz427

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 08:18:29 PM »
Well that certainly is a decent price. Hope it turns out in nice shape. Actually back when the 6.2 came out they had a cam kit that reportedly pushed upwards of 500hp. Probably the people at Livernois still are making a similar grind. It should be a real bear stock!

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 12:10:05 PM »
What about a Paxton or Vortech kit?  About 5# of boost would really make it a screamer.
I put a Vortech on my '96 F350/460 truck back when it was a year old.  Man, was that thing a BLAST to drive.  It ran 15.8 and that was knocking on the door of the Lightnings of the day.  Not bad for a big ol Dually.
Larry

TomP

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 01:48:02 PM »
How are you going to hook it up? I checked into this. I could get a complete running low miles Raptor engine for $1000. The wrecking yard had two of them and was building a 70's mud racer truck with one. But the security system won't allow the computer to operate without half the new truck attached to it, instrument cluster, ignition switch, taillights, headlights, fuel tank, etc. Maybe you can just use certain pieces and bundle them up in the wiring but it sure isn't as easy as an 80's EFI 5.0L

482supersnake

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 05:49:40 PM »
Ford offers a stand alone controller for the 5.0 Coyote motor, still not sure if it will work with the 6.2L engine harness. If not there are some other companies that have controllers that will work but you need too lock out the cams. The computer for the 4.6l that I currently have may also work with a quarter horse tuner. I'm probably a few years out on this swap, so I have some time to figure it all out.

Katz427

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2017, 12:42:16 PM »
I used an SDS computer from Western Motorsports in Canada. Works well and easy to program. They had a computer that was stand-alone and another that piggy-backed with the Ford oem setup.

482supersnake

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2017, 06:45:03 PM »
Thanks for the info. I checked their website out and will have to give them a call when I move forward.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2017, 12:34:18 PM »
That'd be a fun (complicated) upgrade for our 93 F350 7.5L.  Hah

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2017, 10:21:08 PM »
So my daily driver is a 61 f100 swb.

I've done a crown vic front end swap and a 4.6l out of a police cruiser. The truck runs and drives great and the 4.6l honestly has enough power for what I need but from the articles that I have read even after massive upgrades you don't get a lot of bang for your buck with the early 2v 4.6l's. I have been looking for a 6.2l out of a newer superduty as they start out at 385HP and look like a solid foundation to start with. The only draw back is that they don't have a lot of aftermarket support. anyway they all seam to go for $2000+++ and that is with between 80,000 to 150,000 miles on them. In my opinion that seam like a lot for what I would consider a motor that would need to be rebuilt or do I have unreal expectations? All the ones that I have seen look like they have been sitting for a long time and I wouldn't think that used engines like that would be in high demand.

Scott

Cool project with the 6.2
It's much easier than one thinks to make it work. But one is better of buying complete truck then selling what you do not need. For the 6.2 depends on year what's needed
'14 and under its a bit easier. You will need wiring of course then PCM, BCM and also deal with PATS
Kinda hard to spell it all out here typing on my cell phone... Edit Add: missed the part where Katz427 mentioned WP in CA.

I am doing my 2nd swap now with late model engines/trans. Really like the upgraded truck for daily driver. Still have a couple FE powered ones too. One can now swap using a minimum to make it work and the PATS can be removed. Again not difficult to make PATS work.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 10:34:23 PM by TimeWarpF100 »

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2017, 10:37:05 PM »
How are you going to hook it up? I checked into this. I could get a complete running low miles Raptor engine for $1000. The wrecking yard had two of them and was building a 70's mud racer truck with one. But the security system won't allow the computer to operate without half the new truck attached to it, instrument cluster, ignition switch, taillights, headlights, fuel tank, etc. Maybe you can just use certain pieces and bundle them up in the wiring but it sure isn't as easy as an 80's EFI 5.0L

Technology now out there for a aftermarket cluster & no need for any late model lighting, wiring but one will need a HPFP. My first swap I used it all but 2nd swap its the bare minimum. Cheaper in the long run to buy a complete vehicle than piece at a time . .