Author Topic: Maverick Project  (Read 28271 times)

mn67

• View Profile
Re: Maverick Project
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2018, 12:16:09 PM »
Machoneman good suggestions, input is always welcome. Especially before it is painted.
1971 Maverick Grabber

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2018, 04:26:31 PM »
You are quite welcome! Love the color, rake, wheel/tire combo....a lot.

Maybe one more thought.  The OEM lower front spoiler is way too small for really high speed runs as one does want to do all one can to keep air from under the front end. Maybe a replacement off another vehicle (maybe non-Ford as well) as I don't think a  69-70 Stang lower will fit on a Mav.

Machoneman good suggestions, input is always welcome. Especially before it is painted.
Bob Maag

mn67

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2018, 09:45:55 AM »
Took a little longer than I was counting on, but the 445 is ready to be put back together this week. Short block turned out really nice. While we were at it I had the heads gone through and BT intake port matched by a local machine shop in the twin cities. Turned out to be great people to work with and I am very pleased with the end result. I will be spending the next couple of weeks on the Maverick getting everything that bolts to the body cleaned painted etc. and hopefully be into mocking everything up so I can start on the metal work. With luck the engine will actually make it to a dyno and into the car this time. In the lesson learned arena it is amazing how far a cam can be off from the card.  (Pictures taken by Jason Anderson at his shop)

« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 09:47:37 AM by mn67 »
1971 Maverick Grabber

Tony Fritz

« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2018, 08:16:57 AM »
Updated pic of Maverick "in action" with new motor. Caltracs and leaf springs work pretty well !!

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2018, 08:35:20 AM »
Nice Tony looks great

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2018, 08:35:50 AM »
Updated pic of Maverick "in action" with new motor. Caltracs and leaf springs work pretty well !!

Indeed they are! Glad to see he's making real progress on the car. I love the early Mavericks, and I always thought they made an excellent choice for a strip car. Can't wait to see it when it's all painted up.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2018, 10:22:11 AM »
Nice pics of a nice ride! 8)
Bob Maag

mn67

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2018, 03:23:01 PM »

Indeed they are! Glad to see he's making real progress on the car. I love the early Mavericks, and I always thought they made an excellent choice for a strip car. Can't wait to see it when it's all painted up.
[/quote]

Doug, progress is slow but has not stopped. At this point with exception of the seats and rear end (waiting on a center section)everything that bolts on to the body/frame has been rebuilt/restored and powder coated or purchased new. So all that is left is reassembly of the 445, building headers, stripping the body and reworking the metal  that needs it. Then paint and reassembly including new wiring (you know the easy stuff ;). By the time I am done with what started as a quick FE build for another car a couple of years ago. I will have touched and cleaned every bolt. Should have the 445 finished up by the weekend. It has been a fun project so far and this forum has proved a valuable resource. I tend not to post much as the day to day progress can be slow and not all that interesting. I have however changed my mind on the color and will be painting the car 1971 Medium yellow gold, not a fan favorite but I really like it.
1971 Maverick Grabber

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2018, 03:36:01 PM »
Should look fine in that color, and different which is good. Besides nobody has to like it but you!!.
When I told my buddy I want the original color on my mustang (Lime gold) he said Joey please dont make
me paint it that color, but I like it.

mn67

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2018, 03:45:10 PM »
I happen to be a fan of Lime Gold also.   
1971 Maverick Grabber

Tommy-T

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2018, 01:03:40 PM »
Since we are all relating our Maverick memories...I'll share mine.

A 1971 Maverick Grabber complete with the mighty 200 six and three-on-the-tree was my first car that ran. My dad gave it to me because I worked for him and he wanted me to get to work from school faster than walking. And that is how fast the Mav was... JUST faster than walking!

My main memory of that car was that the column shifter was chrome steel. The car was black with a red interior. After sitting in a warm/hot normal SoCal day with it locked up, like in the school parking lot, that shifter got HOT...REALLY HOT! You could not even touch it without leaving bar-b-q'd skin behind HOT. I electrical taped a shop rag around the shifter handle just so I could drive it. RACEY!

I taught all my friends to drive a stick in that car, and cut school in it to go to the beach a lot too.

If you tried to power shift it, the long shift rods would pop out of the plastic grommets that held them on the steering column.

FUN!

57 lima bean

« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2018, 08:59:45 PM »
Had to laugh with the work being done by JAnderson.I met him at a car show a couple of weeks back.Asked if he would like a Breeze Way power assembly and glass for his Merc.He stopped by with a 12 pack as payment and we had a great time talking.

mn67

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2018, 04:29:58 PM »
Jason is a great guy and the Breezeway is a really fun car. Was it at ACME car show you met him?
1971 Maverick Grabber

57 lima bean

« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2018, 01:52:16 PM »
Jason is a great guy and the Breezeway is a really fun car. Was it at ACME car show you met him?

Yes it was.

mn67

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2018, 01:09:49 PM »
Mocking up the front suspension today. The tomorrow I can finish cutting and shaping the shock towers and test fit the motor mounts.
1971 Maverick Grabber