Author Topic: Jay's transparent valve covers and an internal water leak fiasco....(LONG)  (Read 10191 times)

unclewill

• View Profile
There's a financial reason too - brand new factory aluminum block ready to build for $1500!
1969 Ford Cobra, 482 side oiler, BBM aluminum heads, FiTech EFI, Edelbrock 7105, Comp 292H, CR 4 speed, 9", 3.50

FElony

There's a financial reason too - brand new factory aluminum block ready to build for $1500!

Which means that both myself and the Somali immigrant on the guv dole can both afford one. Gee, how exclusive. OK OK, if I HAD to have one, I would put it in an 80's Trans-Am. If. However, being a heterosexual, I don't think I'll be buying any F-bodies anytime soon. Wait... will a Coyote fit in an 80's T/A? I could be a throwback metrosexual!! Exsssssellent.

unclewill

• View Profile
Which means that both myself and the Somali immigrant on the guv dole can both afford one. Gee, how exclusive. OK OK, if I HAD to have one, I would put it in an 80's Trans-Am. If. However, being a heterosexual, I don't think I'll be buying any F-bodies anytime soon. Wait... will a Coyote fit in an 80's T/A? I could be a throwback metrosexual!! Exsssssellent.
The Coyote is so big I don't even know that it would fit in an F-body.  Matt Farah drove a Porsche Cayman with a Coyote installed and it is awesome!  Vid here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjeKSumjcRA 
If only Ford would release the Voodoo flat plane crank as a performance part, we could all have some fun with the Coyote!!  Maybe Scat could do up a falt plane for the FE - what a hoot that would be!

@FElony
I'm not sure how things are in your country, but here in America the government "dole" was all but eliminated by The Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act of 1996 signed by Bill Clinton - just ask anyone flying a sign on the exit ramp of the freeway.  As to your sexuality, well, that's kinda up to you...I like driving my wife's Miata so don't be too quick to judge.   ;)
1969 Ford Cobra, 482 side oiler, BBM aluminum heads, FiTech EFI, Edelbrock 7105, Comp 292H, CR 4 speed, 9", 3.50

FElony

@FElony
I'm not sure how things are in your country, but here in America the government "dole" was all but eliminated by The Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act of 1996 signed by Bill Clinton - just ask anyone flying a sign on the exit ramp of the freeway.  As to your sexuality, well, that's kinda up to you...I like driving my wife's Miata so don't be too quick to judge.   ;)

In my country, Dole is a banana that is exported from growers duped by your evil CIA into paying slave wages to my beloved brothers and sisters and cousins (lots of cousins) so you porky Americans can buy them cheap and pile ice cream, syrup, whipped cream, candied cherries and sprinkles (lots of sprinkles) on them and stuff it all into your fat faces and I hope you all choke and die.

And we outlawed Miatas so the birth rate would stay high. Takes a lot of cousins to make bananas.

My427stang

• View Profile
I am not all fired up about a Coyote with a flat plane crank, the more I research the Ford design, I realize it's a marketing effort more than a benefit.  The firing order does not match a true flat plan and therefore fights (to some extent) the imbalance of a flat plane while not receiving the benefits of exhaust pulse timing with a true flat plane design.  The benefit is really the heads, intake, VVT and computer programming, but that is not as Gucci.

That being said, Coyotes run real well, just did an exhaust on a stocker 5.0 that surprised me with more mid range than I expected and took a friend's early Saleen out for a day with an Aluminator supercharged over-the-counter Coyote with upgraded clutch, exhaust, more supercharger, and all the goodies to support it.  It was downright brutal.

I'll also taint the waters that my 70 Mustang was very close to a twin turbo LS (painted blue of course) but the combination of gene pool dilution and my cheap-bastardness decided otherwise. 
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 11:55:09 AM by My427stang »
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

unclewill

• View Profile
Here is an interesting article on the Voodoo:
http://www.powerperformancenews.com/tech-articles/inside-fords-new-5-2l-shelby-gt350-engine/
The most obvious benefit of the flat plane crank is lighter weight allowing 8000+ rpm redline.  The discussion gets interesting when they start talking about the tunability with regard to tuning for the weakest cylinder - the new firing order equalizes the individual cylinders allowing a higher state of tune for all.  In other words, one cylinders' detonation problem due to the flow regime set up by the firing order is less likely to dictate the tune of the other seven cylinders.  The engine has 12:1 static compression so detonation is a key concern.
Could the FE benefit from this type of crank?  Raising the redline is always a good thing but the pushrods are likely to be the limiting factor, not the crank.  Is there one particular cylinder(s?) that is particularly prone to detonation/lean running/low dynamic compression in the FE design which may limit the potential of the other seven (six...five...)?  More experienced FE tuners need to chime in here.
It sure would sound cool though!

mbrunson427

• View Profile
Jay, are you planning on moving forward with more of the clear valve covers? The company right next door to me at work is in that exact business. They're much more highly technical, i'm sure a production run of those would be a simple thing for them. Just the same as every one of these situations......it makes you wonder what their initial tool cost would be.

http://www.tenere.com/
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
Here is an interesting article on the Voodoo:

The most obvious benefit of the flat plane crank is lighter weight allowing 8000+ rpm redline.

Just a slight correction.  Crankshaft weight does not give you peak rpm capability.  You can have a 500lb crank rev just as high as a 50lb crank.  Of course the heavy crank would accelerate slower in the same engine but it would still get there just fine.

What really gives you that rpm capability is crank stiffness (working in conjunction with good block support and light rods / pistons).  A flat crank will indeed be stiffer than a 90 degree crank (generally).

The Voodoo Coyote is indeed a cool package, especially for somebody like me who saw the birth of the original 4.6L 2-valve with all of its limitations and compromises.  Who knew such a thing could evolve into a world-beater?
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

FElony

Can someone clue me in as to why 8200 is such a big deal, please? I ran there all the time with my 289 back in the 70's with the stock bottom end. I had friends with built 289's and Bosses and Cleves that would eclipse 9000 easily in a street driver. When the injected 5.0 came out in the 80's, Ford bragged about 5500 rpm and I nearly died from laughter. Anyone remember a little class called Modified Production back in the 70's? 11000 rpm, 5 speeds, gearing in the 7's. Sound familiar?

Better rods and pistons and Twisted Wedge 11R heads would put a 302 into the stratosphere today. No Voodoo magic gonna beat that. RPM-wise or power-wise.

My427stang

• View Profile
I am not blown away by it either, but the fact an 8000 rpm engine can idle, pass emissions, and has quite a bit of torque in traffic and can pull the low end of speed limit with a .68-ish overdrive, a/c and street gears is pretty cool.
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

FElony

Mine idled at 700 rpm, got 16 mpg around town with no overdrive, never overheated driving SoCal freeways with 4.11's, weighed 2950 lbs, and ran low 13's. No A/C necessary where I lived; no emissions then. Would chirp the 3-4 shift on smooth asphalt with 2800-lb McLeod and L60's.

GT350 starts at 56k plus this and that PLUS dealer markup. For that, it better come with a 6-month supply of hookers and blow. Plus it comes with electronics, which means the CIA will have audio/video of you using up the hookers and blow.

I'll stick to the '68. Gonna go outside and give it a great big hug. A manly hug. No smoochies because it's a tough car, not a Miata.

P.S. Have I ever mentioned I hate the whiny sound of X-pipe exhaust? My car had headers and 2 1/2" exhaust with no crossover and that 289 sounded like a 500. Yeah. Oh yeah.

turbohunter

• View Profile
Mine idled at 700 rpm, got 16 mpg around town with no overdrive, never overheated driving SoCal freeways with 4.11's, weighed 2950 lbs, and ran low 13's. No A/C necessary where I lived; no emissions then. Would chirp the 3-4 shift on smooth asphalt with 2800-lb McLeod and L60's.

GT350 starts at 56k plus this and that PLUS dealer markup. For that, it better come with a 6-month supply of hookers and blow. Plus it comes with electronics, which means the CIA will have audio/video of you using up the hookers and blow.

I'll stick to the '68. Gonna go outside and give it a great big hug. A manly hug. No smoochies because it's a tough car, not a Miata.

P.S. Have I ever mentioned I hate the whiny sound of X-pipe exhaust? My car had headers and 2 1/2" exhaust with no crossover and that 289 sounded like a 500. Yeah. Oh yeah.
Amen brother
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
Did I see a lifter collapse after shut down?  Sure looked like that was what happened.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

427Fastback

• View Profile
I saw that as well....
1968 Mustang Fastback...427 MR 5spd (owned since 1977)
1967 Mustang coupe...Trans Am replica
1936 Diamond T 212BD
1990 Grizzly pick-up

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
At full lift with >350 lbs of spring pressure on it and no oil pressure, I don't really find that abnormal. 

If you notice on first fire-up, all the lifters were very quiet.   I will check it though to be safe. 
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 07:09:27 AM by blykins »
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports