Author Topic: Has anyone used a 7 or 8 inch dual diaphragm aftermarket brake booster?  (Read 6899 times)

Pentroof

• View Profile
Re: Has anyone used a 7 or 8 inch dual diaphragm aftermarket brake booster?
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2017, 09:13:55 AM »
Ross, can you share where you bought that unit? I'm about to dig into my 1970 F100 that I bought for my daughter and would like to give her power brakes. I'm putting a Crown Vic front member under it, so the time would be right to upgrade to a booster as well.
I cringe at a GM unit in it, but I know from spending time on Fordification that it's a popular option.

Also, what are your thoughts on Hydroboost setups? I have no experience, but the concept makes sense to me.

Jim
Jim

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2017, 09:31:46 AM »
It came from an Ebay dealer named Pirate Jack, real helpful guy, and the key with his kit is that it comes with some specific stuff that makes it easy.  (a little adapter slug to mate the m/c with the booster, the brackets and bellcrank if your 70 has that version, the proper push rod for the 71 version with a heim joint, and the plugs for the inside outlets on the master)

He is easy to get in touch with too.  Mine came with some parts for an earlier model, which made me think I had options, but turns out they sent me extra parts I didn't need.

Total price with free shipping was 195.00.  Pretty hard to beat with the extras.  Keep in mind though that the kit is for drum/drum, if you run disks up front, you have to add either a standard proportioning valve, or an adjustable one to the rear.  He sells the kit with the valve too

http://stores.ebay.com/Pirate-Jack-Hotrod-and-Restoration

BTW, I was able to swap my front and rear flare nuts on my 71 brake lines, made for a clean install, no need for adapter brass at the m/c lines.  I couldn't even do that with the stock m/c, always had one fitting or another that had a brass adapter
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2017, 09:57:20 AM »
Sorry, missed the second half.

Hydroboost is very effective, but I tend to avoid them for underhood clutter,that being said, that 70 has some room and it does help with a big ca,
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch