Author Topic: New Cammer owner  (Read 16535 times)

cobracammer

• View Profile
Re: New Cammer owner
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2017, 08:14:45 AM »
Nice!  Can't wait to see the results from the Dyno.  :)
Jason
2005 Saleen S281 (427 SOHC 2 X 4 EFI swap), T56 Magnum XL 6 speed, 9" Currie rear with 3.89 Gears

ToddK

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2017, 03:48:36 AM »
Once the engine is successfully run in on the dyno, I plan to swap the induction system from the factory dual plane 4 barrel manifold and 850DP to this Hilborn EFI set up.

I have 2 sets of stacks to go on the throttle bodies, 6.5" open stacks for strip use, and 2" straight stacks with K&N filters which will be used for normal driving around.

I will be using a Holley HP ECU to control the EFI, and have already installed this into my '63 Galaxie. I figure it will be easier to run the engine in on the dyno with the carb. Then I will swap to the EFI before installing the engine in my car. Hilborn have supplied a base tune for the ECU to get it running, and the HP ECU also has self-learning function. However, I will spend some time to get the system tuned on a chassis dyno once it is up and running.

GJCAT427

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2017, 05:17:22 AM »
Todd, did you find out what the crack was at the front of the block? Must have checked out ok as I see the motor is going together.

ToddK

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2017, 07:21:56 AM »
The crack was not a critical area of the block, did not extend to any of the water jackets or bolt holes, and looked as if it had been there for quite a while. I filled the crack as best I could with JB Weld. I expect it will be okay, well I certainly hope so.

ToddK

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2017, 08:25:38 PM »
Okay, a progress update, and trialling a new photo hosting site.

It's just about ready to fire up. I have installed the single 4 intake to fire up the engine on the dyno, as I thought it would be easier to sort out than the EFI. I'll be using an 850HP carb. I'm not trying to make max hp on the dyno, I simply want to use the session to break the engine in and make sure it runs okay. Once done there, I will put the EFI intake on before it goes in my car and tune the EFI in car.

The only thing holding me up now is the block was missing the screw in plug from the oil pressure relief valve. As these are a different thread to other gallery plugs, and have a specific length to set the spring pressure, I need to find a replacement. I have ordered one from Doug at POP, but am still waiting for it to arrive. I also have a friend locally who has a side oiler block in storage, and he has offered me a loan of the plug from his block. But I haven't had time to collect it yet. Once I get the plug, I can prime the oil system and it should be dyno ready.

I am happy how the polished finish of the magnesium valve covers is lasting. I have them coated in Gibbs oil which seems to be protecting them quite well. In the pictures, they have the oil coating on them.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 03:22:07 PM by ToddK »

Leny Mason

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2017, 08:16:07 AM »
Hi, are you working with Andy Star at Hilborn / Holley He has peen great to work with. Leny Mason

ToddK

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2017, 06:09:33 PM »
Yes, Andy has been very helpful so far, a pleasure to deal with.

rowdy58ford

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2017, 06:42:41 AM »
What is your SOHC valve spring pressure at the seat?

ec164

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2017, 04:01:18 PM »
Good Looking Engine Todd.................Al
You're ahead in a Mercury......all the way

ToddK

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2017, 07:13:56 PM »
What is your SOHC valve spring pressure at the seat?

I don't have the specs here with me, but from memory I'm using Comp 943 springs and they are about 220lbs seat pressure.

ToddK

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2017, 07:00:36 AM »
I managed to get my 5 minutes of fame, but had to share the glory with my Cammer. Street Machine magazine, which is the Australian equivalent of Hot Rod Magazine, were at the dyno facility when I ran my engine recently. They did an interview, took some pics and video footage, and have just released the finished product. I think it came out okay, and I managed not to swear - bonus! Even had my Survival Motorsports/FE Forum t-shirt on.(Jay, do you have any FE Power t-shirts?). Hopefully, I got my story straight regarding the history of the SOHC engine. Enjoy.

https://www.streetmachine.com.au/street-machine-tv/dyno/1712/ford-427-sohc-on-the-engine-dyno-video

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2017, 09:02:55 AM »
Very cool - - congrats!

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2017, 10:13:54 AM »
Very Nice!  Congratulations.  Going to be tons of fun!
Jason
2005 Saleen S281 (427 SOHC 2 X 4 EFI swap), T56 Magnum XL 6 speed, 9" Currie rear with 3.89 Gears