Author Topic: Early Lincoln 4 Speed Automatic, MEL Era AND MEL Forum Login  (Read 2439 times)

chris401

Early Lincoln 4 Speed Automatic, MEL Era AND MEL Forum Login
« on: January 28, 2017, 06:04:00 PM »
I read a very short post concerning 4 speed hydromatics behind the MEL engines. Any truth behind it?

Many here are MEL forum members, if any of you can login to the site contact Theo the moderator. At this point the site won't let either of us log in for the past several days.

Thanks

RJP

• View Profile
Re: Early Lincoln 4 Speed Automatic, MEL Era AND MEL Forum Login
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 12:48:09 AM »
The GM Hydra-matic was never factory installed behind any MEL engines that I know of. The GM 4 sp. Hydro was used in the 49 thru 55 Lincolns behind the 317" & 341" Lincoln/truck OHV engine as well as the 49 thru 51 flathead Lincoln engine.

chris401

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 08:57:49 AM »
Must not have been very strong compared to the Cruise-O-Matic. A 4 speed automatic seems the way to go over a 3 speed if it held up. Wikipedia mentioned a fire destroyed the plant the Hydramatics were built in and left Lincoln and Cadillac out of trannys for a time.

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 12:04:51 PM »
Back in the late '50s and early '60s, it was a common thing to use, with an adapter if necessary, a hot-rodded GM trans that went by the brand name 'Hydro-Stick'. I don't remember any details I might have known at that time, but ads were common in the hot rod mags of the time.

KS

RJP

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 02:03:34 PM »
Must not have been very strong compared to the Cruise-O-Matic. A 4 speed automatic seems the way to go over a 3 speed if it held up. Wikipedia mentioned a fire destroyed the plant the Hydramatics were built in and left Lincoln and Cadillac out of trannys for a time.
The Hydramatic was a very stout transmission. But they had a few drawbacks such as the simple fluid coupling in place of a more efficient torque converter,  Low gear was very low and in most cases useless for anything other than stump pulling. The trans was also very heavy as the case is cast iron and all rotating parts were iron or steel. B&M made them famous with their "B&M Hydro-stick" in the 50s and it was about the only choice if you wanted to race with an automatic as all other factory automatics were not suited for racing due in part to lack of gear shift control, strength and few people understood the complex hydraulic system of the valve bodies and governors. The Chrysler aluminum Torque Flite was the 1st factory automatic that had the potential due to it's "Simpson design" simplicity and the strength to be used for racing. 

chris401

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 05:33:20 PM »
I have officially been schoold. I have a couple of 58/59 MEL automatic transmissions. I posted one on the MEL forum but have driven neither. Are they anything close?