Poll

Which of these valve covers would you be interested in?

Pentroof cast aluminum, plain
64 (71.1%)
Pentroof cast aluminum, finned
23 (25.6%)
Neither; prefer valve covers that are already available elsewhere
3 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 85

Author Topic: Thinking about casting some valve covers...  (Read 62805 times)

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
Re: Thinking about casting some valve covers...
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2016, 01:48:07 PM »
I've got a set of the BT Pentroof covers that are like the large competition ones but they are closed.  I think they are freakin awesome.

I've been dying to cast some covers myself, but honestly end up with too much stuff going on when I'm at home.
If I had one wish for a new cast cover (pentroofs are technically available)
I would love a baldie cover like the early 60's ones.  Make an option for Thunderbird or FORD letters on them or just plain to be painted the proper color or polished.
In the restoration of early 60's FE's the only baldie option is with sheet metal covers that are considerably less durable and more leak prone than a nice firm cast cover.

that is my 2cents.

(Jay, just buy Blue Thunder and get it over with.....)

FElony

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2016, 02:19:07 PM »
How about contacting Art to see if you can purchase Blue Thunder in its entirety?

Ooopsss. I see Drew beat me to it. Sick minds think alike. Think alike, too, Jay. I command you.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 02:33:11 PM by FElony »

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2016, 02:27:36 PM »
I'd be down for a few pairs. Please make available caps and breathers too.  8)
Kevin McCullah

FElony

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2016, 02:29:48 PM »
Would be really slick to have the plain cast with a milled 427 Eagle/Flag like the factory decal, or a relief that the factory style decal would fit in.

Not exactly what you said (I think), but close. You can request your own cu in numbers. Also in black at 50 bucks less. This is Ansen, btw. Made in Kali not Chinky.

www.ebay.com/itm/232113095832   http://ansenusa.com/

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2016, 02:34:38 PM »
Jay: I think that most know I collect FE valve Covers. My favorites are the Merc Lightning Bolt and the Weiand Pentroof. The Weiand's are the tallest of all I have and clear any rocker assembly I've seen. I don't have a pair of the  BT's to compare. I'd buy a set of the VC's without any breathers/knockouts since my intakes have a fill tube and rear PVC provision.
Would your CNC program be somewhat capable of carving the Mercury script and Lightning bolt?

Weind's with the fins cut off. My fav. ;)

upload pic

newfalconowner

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2016, 03:37:29 PM »
cast pentroofs would look a lot better then the chrome ones I have on

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2016, 04:20:04 PM »
Don't need any at the moment but my 1.5c (Australian currency) anyway. Pentroof plain for me. But as suggested before if you had plain and offered a number of pre-programmed engraved scripts (Mercury, Thunderbird, Power by Ford, Bird flag with any displacement etc.) that would be really cool and something that's not out there.

bn69stang

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2016, 04:32:14 PM »
Do it Jay , more fe parts is a good thing , maybe blocks next ? ?
69 mach 1 , 428 C J  Blue Oval Performance BBM heads -T@D rocker s- Blue thunder intake - Comp hydr roller - MSD ignition - FPA headers- Holley 850 hp double pumper - TKO 600 - 9 inch 3.89 Detroit Locker . ride tech coil over conversion - power rack @ pinoin steering - 13 inch drilled @ slotted 4 wheel disc brakes ..

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2016, 04:40:32 PM »
I've always liked those Howie.

These are the BT ones I mentioned earlier.  No clearance issues, but closed for the early Ford pcv.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 05:08:12 PM by Drew Pojedinec »

mn67

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2016, 05:06:27 PM »
I just took delivery yesterday of a set from DSC. I did look for a long time and he released a set. There is also an ebay vendor with a couple sets of each type of BT now, for those with immediate needs. Seeing as it took me a year to find them a new source is needed, go for it. I would take a set with Mercury script and lightning bolt.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 05:13:02 PM by mn67 »
1971 Maverick Grabber

FERoadster

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2016, 06:09:22 PM »
Jay: if you need a pair for a pattern, I've got 5 sets of stocker script Mercs. and the custom set. Could send you a pair.
You would want to do the 1966 version  since they have clearance for the PB booster. 1965's don't.

Richard >>> FERoadster

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2016, 09:09:31 PM »
Jay, I haven't voted because I'm not sure any of them would fit under my power brake booster (I have a real clearance issue there), but the real question is why dick around with valve covers. You wrote the book on intakes, you have more or less made one, why not make a really good intake?

BTW I'm running some Ansen polished 428 short covers that clear, but I had to cut back the baffle mounts to clear the T&D rockers. In general the quality of the Ansen product is unimpressive - lots of crackle on the underside and some large flakes that make me a little nervous.
1969 F100 4WD (It ain't yellow anymore)
445 with BBM heads, Prison Break stroker kit, hydrualic roller cam, T&D rockers, Street Dominator Intake with QFT SS 830.

Paul.

FElony

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2016, 09:27:07 PM »
In general the quality of the Ansen product is unimpressive - lots of crackle on the underside and some large flakes that make me a little nervous.

The crackles, as you called them, went away many years ago. I have at least 10 sets of Ansens that have been made within the last dozen years, and all are smooth underneath. I also have vintage sets that have zero integrity issues. I do not understand why you are "nervous". It's not like a valve cover is going to fracture, shear off your brake booster, catapult you into the back of a semi and decap you. If the molecular structure of an engine accessory causes you distress, please stay parked.

No fake news, please. Thank you.

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2016, 09:39:13 PM »
People really use brake boosters?

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2016, 09:46:29 PM »
Jay: if you need a pair for a pattern, I've got 5 sets of stocker script Mercs. and the custom set. Could send you a pair.
You would want to do the 1966 version  since they have clearance for the PB booster. 1965's don't.

Richard >>> FERoadster

Richard, I will PM you on that.  I'd like to see one of the '66 versions in person...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC