Author Topic: Has DragWeek ran it's course for HotRod?  (Read 3080 times)

AlanCasida

• View Profile
Has DragWeek ran it's course for HotRod?
« on: December 08, 2016, 08:04:50 PM »
I got my latest edition of Hot Rod magazine with coverage of Drag Week and it seemed to be a little lacking to say the least. I hope their interest in this great event isn't waning. It has totally rejuvenated my interest in my '66 Galaxie and is the most fun car event I have ever participated in. 

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: Has DragWeek ran it's course for HotRod?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 09:37:33 PM »
Last year it ran in two issues, so maybe next issue will have more stuff...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Qikbbstang

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 02:42:02 PM »
At least Drag Week had exceptional live coverage on line by Hot Rod. Engine Masters was lacking video coverage and even failed to make the results available.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 09:42:06 AM »
I'd be wondering more that Engine Masters has run it's course.  Or that it's turned to showcase sponsoring manufacturers - not that there is anything wrong with that.  Have to advertise to sell parts, that's the business. 

With the SO people stepping up into "street" running ProMods, things like Drag Week will remain popular and may even become more so.  There is a debate in the "No Prep/Redemption/Armageddon" racing groups about ProMods pushing out the more traditional NOS and turbo cars.  Even the TV show is in danger of stratification with the pro mods - Chief, Lutz, et al - moving up and the lesser funded group holding down the spots below #5.  A few like Doc, Birdman and Murder Nova are holding on so it remains interesting.  But if they get to promod vs promod for spots 1-2-3 every week, the show is DOA. 

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 09:58:05 PM »
"Has DragWeek ran it's course for HotRod?"
Geez, I hope not. I had a great time this year and am hoping that it'll be within reach of my traveling abilities next year. Although I really wish I had gotten into it sooner, before some of the big money players got involved. Now all they concentrate on are twin turbo 6 second cars, which are the least interesting to me. I guess that's what draws alot of the interest though. Almost every 'grassroots' organization seems to get taken over by people with big money. I don't see any way around it though.

With the SO people stepping up into "street" running ProMods, things like Drag Week will remain popular and may even become more so.  There is a debate in the "No Prep/Redemption/Armageddon" racing groups about ProMods pushing out the more traditional NOS and turbo cars.  Even the TV show is in danger of stratification with the pro mods - Chief, Lutz, et al - moving up and the lesser funded group holding down the spots below #5.  A few like Doc, Birdman and Murder Nova are holding on so it remains interesting.  But if they get to promod vs promod for spots 1-2-3 every week, the show is DOA

I couldn't agree with this more. Crows ProMod car was the end of it for me. I still have some respect for the 'bottom feeders'. Murder Nova, if you've ever seen that car in person, that thing looks BEAT. I like it  :)
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 10:49:30 PM »
Hotrod magazine, for being the media outlet they are, seem on a whole to be unable to properly capitalize on their own success.

For some reason, they can host something like engine masters, or drag week, or a ton of other things that REALLY are cool and people would be into, but hotrod appears to drop the ball.

It's their deal, they can do it how they want, it's just an observation.

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 11:33:13 PM »
I too was a little disappointed in the Drag Week coverage when this issue arrived, but I had commented to Jay I'd wait until next months issue comes out and see if they have any additional Dragweek coverage before I solidify my opinion. I think a lot of it stems from Hot Rod having yet another new editor within the last few months. I imagine they feel like they need to put their own style on things and not just repeat the format that has gone before, and it was interesting to have the feature articles on the International Dragweek competitors and the article on the Spirit Of Dragweek winner. The photo's of the top 50 cars were cool, but I would have liked to see a little more coverage of the road trip portion to give readers a little more flavor of what the competitors go through and the event is about. The Enthusiast Network ( the parent company of Hot Rod ) sends an armada of employees to cover this event and they take tons of photos, it's a shame they don't use more. Some stuff will turn up in their other publications of course, like the Roadkill magazine. I don't think Hot Rod's enthusiasm for the event is dying though, since they just announced plans for the "Zip Tie Drags" in Tucson, Az. this January, including a road trip from LA to the track and encouraging anything that might run to show up and attempt going down the track. And I'd say I too was disappointed in the coverage of Engine Masters this year, I just think some of The Enthusiast Network employees haven't figured out how to cover this stuff yet, I hope they find their footing. I will say they all certainly stay busy, their employees seem to be constantly criss-crossing the country attending both the events they are sponsoring along with every major car event like Bonneville, SEMA, PRI, etc. 
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2016, 10:18:20 AM »
I was just wondering. I read on BangShift that HotRod was not going to do their DragWeek West event next year. Hopefully they will have some more coverage next month. For the last two years, my car has managed a cameo appearance somewhere in a group shot in the magazine so I was hoping for a three-peat!