Author Topic: Engine Masters 2016  (Read 8094 times)

thatdarncat

• View Profile
Engine Masters 2016
« on: October 05, 2016, 01:33:48 PM »
A Ford wins the small block class on the first day of competition. CHI headed cleveland. Here's a link to Hot Rod ( Warning, the Hot Rod site can be a pain on some computers ):

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/engine-masters-2016-small-block-class-names-winner/

The vintage class ran yesterday, hopefully our members Royce and Ted did well, along with the Mummert team. No word yet on the results. Here's a link to the vintage entrants:

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/oddball-vintage-engines-engine-masters-2016/

For anyone that missed it here's a link to Royce and Barry's pre-competition dyno results and discussion earlier here on the forum.

http://fepower.net/simplemachinesforum/index.php?topic=4296.0;all

Barry's FE runs Thursday I believe.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 01:36:53 PM by thatdarncat »
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
Re: Engine Masters 2016
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 03:50:39 PM »
Ted Eaton for the win!

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 06:12:49 PM »
Congrats to Ted!

And one of Royce's motors got an internet write-up today:

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/forgotten-ford-big-block-makes-comeback-engine-masters-2016/
Kevin Rolph

1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 12:14:10 PM »
I've been kind of disappointed in Hot Rods internet coverage of Engine Masters this year, it seems like the results are coming slowly. Maybe I'm just expecting more in this age of social media. Anyway, here's a link to the announcement of Ted Eaton's Y-Block win:

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/ford-y-block-takes-vintage-class-win-engine-masters-2016/

I just had a phone call this morning from our local Y-Block Guru JC, who just got back from Engine Masters as part of Royce's team. It sounds like they all had a good time.
Kevin Rolph

1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

57 lima bean

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 12:20:29 PM »
Good showing for Ted!In reading about Royce's MEL,I didn't know that the heads had no combustion chambers.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 12:48:21 PM »
Kevin! Kudos to you for aggregating all the EM2016 links and results!  :)
Bob Maag

mummert

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 10:33:02 PM »
The Nitrous class would have been fun to see, but we had to fly out yesterday. We had a good time. It was the first time I we got to meet many people in person that I have either talked to on the phone or interenet.
 The motor ran like a top.  We made one jet change and then worked on keeping temps under control. Needed to have a bit more steam early on but not much. 331 cu in. Pk power was 550hp Tq 482 our score was 2716.
Ted did a great job with his build and pulled out a 2785 score take the win. (Our motor didn't win, but the heads, manifold, and rockers did) so its good either way.
Royce gets the Iron Man award for making up about half the field with entries. I think hes on to something with his his MEL, gotta a lot of attention and showed some good power potential.

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2016, 08:10:54 AM »
Congrats to all that participated, really a heck of an ordeal to get all this done.

I really wish hotrod would give a little more press to the whole thing, as I for one would love to watch/read more about it.

Royce

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2016, 09:50:37 AM »
Congrats to Ted Eaton and the Mummert team.. They really showed how the Ford Y Block shines in this class..And to Barry R for soldiering on with the rules set against him and putting up a pretty good score and showing the excellence of Ford's engineering on a 60 year old engine..

I had a lot of fun but I will NEVER take more than one engine again.. Way too much chaos and stress  lol

I was never a player for the 12K but then I knew that going in...

My Lincoln Y Block finished 4th. Same engine I ran last year with a different cam, intake and a new paint job and valve covers.
It is as solid as an anvil. I set the timing and made 12 pulls.  no tuning, no hiccups, no leaks, nothing but solid performance.. I was able to hammer out 520 horse and 491 ft. lb.  This engine has over 250 dyno pulls on it plus 2 years of drag strip duty. Never had any kind of parts failure. Of all my engines this is the one I am most proud of..

My Ford Y block finished 5th  less than 10 points behind the Lincoln. This was a last minute deal to help fill the field and Jerry C was in charge of running it..I have run this engine in a race car in the past and it has made 500 horse on the R&R dyno.. It is 333 inches and currently is running a street cam with 235 /238 duration, not really ideal for the competition.. Still it made a good showing with peak numbers of 465 horse and 424 ft.lb

The engine that I built just for the EMC was a 1958 Edsel MEL 410. with a 4.25 bore and a 3.7 stroke it ended up at 420 inches. Heads and intake ported by Joe Craine. custom rods, pistons, and an aggressive roller cam. I was dreaming of 600 horse but probably was more realistic in the 575 range. Due to some last minute problems getting the right pistons , I barely made the show..  I received the correct pistons on the Wed before the show. Finished assembly on Thurs Fired it on Friday, painted it on Sat, and left for Ohio on Sunday. I had no idea how it would perform. The engine got a lot of attention due to it's obscurity and the flashy paint job.. I did a couple interviews with the Hot Rod staff and answered a lot of questions... When we finally got to the dyno I was nervous as a cat. First, I just hoped it would fire up, which it did. I set the timing at 34 and let it warm up, no drama so far.. We made the first pull and things looked good. Power came up on the second pull as the rings started to seat, but it developed a serious oil leak at the rear main. The officials examined it and I was allowed to proceed.. On the third pull, about 500 rpm into it I heard a unwelcome mechanical noise and the engine tone changes.  Power was way down and it was obvious there was some kind of failure..At that point I called it a day. We had 3 pulls so it could post a score, even if it was a poor one. On my second pull I recorded peaks of 548 hp and 576 torque. The score for the 2nd pull exceeded the Lincoln Y Block score so I was on a trajectory for a 4th place finish.. There is a lot left in this engine .  The failure turned out to be very FE like.. I pulled a rocker shaft bolt out of the threads in the head and it kicked out two push rods. The MEL uses the same type shaft rocker system as the FE along with the same strength issues. That will have to be rectified for next year.  I have a full year to fix the problems and do some testing.. I hope to be invited back to compete again in 2017
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 10:00:20 AM by Royce »
1955 Thunderbird Competition Coupe Altered Chassis "War Bird" 383 Lincoln Y block 520 hp
1955 Thunderbird 292 275 hp Y Block
1956 Ford Victoria 292 Y block

1957 Mercury 2dr Wagon "Battle Wagon" drag car 
1957 Thunderbird Glass body Tube Chassis drag car 333 cu in 500 hp Ford Y block
1961 Starliner 390/375 clone
1965 GT40 tribute w/FE
1966 Falcon Pro Touring project
Kaase Boss 547. 840 HP 698 Torque  pump gas
1992 BMW V-12 5.0
2001 Lincoln 5.4 4 cam.
1968 Cougar XR7

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2016, 10:59:36 AM »
Great job Royce!  That Edsel MEL is just cool, looking forward to seeing how much you can wring out of that engine once you get it completely dialed in - Jay
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2016, 11:53:27 AM »
I sat here with a big grin on my face, Royce. Way to go!

KS

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2016, 12:02:08 PM »
Really cool guys, congrats.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2016, 01:27:56 PM »
Thought I'd throw up a few pics and a couple of videos of Royce's engines.
First, I'd like to say a heartfelt THANK YOU to Royce for inviting me to be on his team as a back-up helper in case he couldn't get enough guys to show up. I had a great time watching and being involved in the process! I would have loved to have helped more, but honestly, the Lincoln Y-block that I was there for absolutely ran perfectly and didn't require ANYthing in the form of changes or help. The engine ran perfectly, idled like a kitten and made 12 consecutive pulls, all in the 35 minute time frame!

First, I think you have to remember that this is a nearly stock engine as far as these types of entries go. Stock stroke on a stock crank, stock rods, iron heads, nothing very fancy. But the engine performed great! I congratulated Royce on such a smooth, reliable entry, and he very much deserves that. And the engine made 521 peak horsepower and 494 peak torque, a bit higher than Royce said. Maybe he picked the wrong data sheet to look at. The engine never dropped below 400 ft.lbs. torque through the entire pull and actually never dropped below 450 up to 6000rpms!

Here's a shot of Royce and Joe doing some last minute checks to make sure everything was ready to go. That's Ted Eaton in the background...

Here's Royce checking the airflow coming through the dyno vent that feeds the carbs. It had never occured to me to use your head and hair to check the swirling effect. You can really learn some good tricks from these guys... ;D

Here is a video of pull #9, which is shown overlayed with pull #8 at the end of the video. I'd like to point out and have everyone notice how easily this engine started EVERY time, and also notice the idle at 750 rpms. The engine idled like a kitten. You'd never know what it's power numbers were capable of by its idle note and characteristics. It's followed by a picture of the dyno map showing the great torque curve this engine has.

https://youtu.be/eY8RaNEzul8

Steve Dulcich took a real interest in Royce's MEL engine, taking pictures and asking about the specs. Steve seemed like a real nice guy and easy to talk to. I chatted with him for a few minutes about Roadkill Garage, which him and Freiburger are in.

Here's a shot of Royce's MEL engine. Except for the carb, which could easily be covered up, it's a real sleeper looking engine, if you ask me.

Here's a shot of JoeDC and his son. I think they were trying to sabotage Ted Eaton's engine here, but it didn't work. Ted still made 603 HP, which was the first time documented that any stock port configuration Y-block had broke the 600 barrier! Way to go Ted! He's a great guy with some very good stories to tell. He also obviously knows how to make some power with these "outdated" engines!

I'd also like to thank Royce again, for taking the time to contact my boss from work. They credited me the day as 'training' so I didn't have to burn my last vacation day. Although I gladly would have used any amount of days to be involved with his effort. Thank you, Royce, again, for inviting me to be involved. I had a great time!
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2016, 04:13:40 PM »
Thanks Doug
Really nice coverage.
Congrats again to all the participants.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2016, 04:41:08 PM »
Great time at the EMC for me.  My son came in for a couple of days, and had a blast participating with Royce's team and Ted.  It was cool to meet Doug, who kinda stood at a distance at first just watching everything unfold, but joined in and helped.  Sorry I didn't get more time to talk with you.  Royce is a trooper with trying to jockey two entrants of his own for the first time at the event.  They have changed the rules allowing a team to sponsor two engines.  Also, there is a change allowing the winner to come back the following year in the same class with a different engine, but same style. 
Joe-JDC
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 09:04:29 AM by Joe-JDC »
Joe-JDC '70GT-500