Author Topic: April 22, 2012 - The Road to Drag Week 2012  (Read 7180 times)

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
April 22, 2012 - The Road to Drag Week 2012
« on: April 22, 2012, 11:23:52 PM »
This week I finally got tired of waiting for feedback from Hot Rod regarding the Galaxie running in the Super Street or Modified class, and just decided to put the car on the waiting list in case a spot opens up.  I put down Unlimited for the class I would run, because with a weld-on front subframe and a stock type rear suspension, that is the only class where the Galaxie fits.  Very strange.  In addition to emailing the Drag Week email address, I also emailed Freiburger and let him know what I was going to do.  I got an almost immediate response from him, saying that he thought that his suggestion for putting ladder bars on the car had resolved the issue.  Of course it hadn't, and he didn't mention anything about the Art Morrison weld-on front clip pictures that I sent him along with several other emails.  I'm almost wondering if he didn't get those for some reason; go figure.

In any case, I spent the weekend getting the car together with the new SOHC.  This week I removed and replaced the pan and took care of a couple other small items.  Friday night I got to work on the car.  Here's a shot of it up in the air before I got started:

It's pretty much been all apart like this for the last couple of years.  I pulled the big SOHC out in early 2010 for testing with the distributorless EFI setup, and then I pulled the rear end case and axles out of the Galaxie because I wanted the case for the Shelby clone.  As a spare I had another case with the same 4.56 gears but set up for 31 spline axles, so I got new axles from Mark Williams and had the case and axles sitting here ready for assembly.  I got the rear end of the car assembled on Friday night.  Saturday my pals Steve and BradFORD came over to give a hand with the engine installation; they both have a vested interest in this project because they will be getting their NHRA licenses in this car.  We all spent about six hours getting the engine and transmission bolted up, and then installed with the headers in the car.  Here's a shot of the engine going in:

I spent some time last night and also today getting the engine and transmission all hooked up.  Joel came over and helped me for a couple hours today; he is also going to get his NHRA license in this car.  We got done under the car by midafternoon, then I pretty much had to go it alone because I had to figure out how I had everything hooked up before when the car was operational, and Joel couldn't really help me with that.  By 7:00 tonight, though, I was pretty far along.  Throttle linkage, electronics, steering and fuel systems were all together and completed.  Here's a photo of the car at this point:

I have to hook up the alternator and radiator and hoses, and fill the oil and transmission fluid, and then I can start the car up.  Should be driving around by mid week.  Sure will be fun to cruise around in the Gal again.  I think I'll wash it first, though   :D

Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

rcodecj

• View Profile
Re: April 22, 2012 - The Road to Drag Week 2012
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 11:28:22 AM »
Jay, according to my bodyshop guy, leaving the hood open for long periods of time can lead to curvature/warping of the hood, especially when it's not fully open and the hood is horizontal.
I am talking about the mach1 in the first picture. Just yanking your chain a bit.  ;D
I use a one foot long 2by4 with a sock covering it and place it between the hood and the core support and close the hood.
Why don't I just latch it? Because I am opening the hood up constantly looking at something that I am planning to do constantly! LOL

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 11:38:04 AM »
Sounds like my problem - open and shut, open and shut.  I usually do leave it latched, though.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 03:34:18 PM »
Good idea to get her ready Jay. Go get-em!
Bob Maag

Hemi Joel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 05:51:06 PM »
Hey Jay,

Putting the exhaust on the Galaxie yesterday brought back fond memories of my trunk monkey days in '08 and '09. That is a fine machine! ;D

BTW, the putty knife trick worked! 8)

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 08:27:21 AM »
Can't wait to hear a drive report.  The Road Couch lives!
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 01:15:42 PM »
I'm excited about this project!  Really happy to see you using the Galaxie... something about the early 60's iron that is so much more appealing to me than "just another mustang"

good luck!