Author Topic: Drag Week, Day 4 and Day 5...  (Read 11211 times)

cjshaker

• View Profile
Drag Week, Day 4 and Day 5...
« on: September 17, 2016, 03:32:30 PM »
Indy wasn't as good of a day, despite having run 2 tenths quicker. The previously mentioned track shutdown just as I staged and heat up made the run less than desirable. Still, overall it was a decent day as Jay and I arrived at the track at the same time, so we parked together. Here's a good shot just as we arrived.

And here's a shot of me and Jay waiting in line like I had mentioned before. It was nice having two FE powered Mustangs right near each other. I think they stood out from the rest of the cars, but that may just have been my bias...lol

After my run, my Son and me decided to walk around for a bit and check out some of the cars, which I hadn't had a chance to do earlier. You just get too busy and want to get to the next track. Jay packed up and headed out quickly. The trip back to Columbus, from Indianapolis, was without issues. It was actually a really nice drive. All the nervousness from earlier in the week about driving the car on such a long trip, had disappeared and we had settled into a nice groove. With the 4.30 gears, I was only running about 52 mph at 2800 rpm and it took a while to drive from track to track. All the while I was getting passed by guys doing 65+, wondering why I was going so slow. I really need a Gear Vendors Overdrive now ::) Whenever somebody asked me why I was moving so slow, I told them about my gearing and the response was always the same..."OH, holy #@$*!"...lol
Hey, it's 'Old School', remember ;D

For the final day, I pulled into the track and immediately removed my valve covers just to give the rockers a quick check and to let the engine get rid of some heat. I had about 8 friends come down to see me run. I only live about 2 hours from the track, so it wasn't a bad drive. It was really nice to be cheered on by them. I decided to do a few things to the car to see how much I could improve it, so I started by putting about 5 gallons of 110 octane fuel in, removing the tailpipes, bumping the timing to 40* and removing the air cleaner. With the 40* timing, I also pulled the 45 plugs and put in 124's to help avoid any detonation. Whether or not any of those things helped, I'm not sure. I eased the clutch out easier from a 4500 rpm launch, and the car took off smoother but still grabbed a little. It's a fine line trying to ease out on the heavy duty Ram clutch, but regardless, the run was better, the shifts were smooth, the engine didn't miss a beat and I was rewarded with another 2 tenths knocked off my ET and a better 60' time, and my speed increased to 114. I shifted at 6400 from first to second, and at 6000 on the other 2 shifts, crossing the line at about 6100-6200. My ET ended up at 12.54, still not what I wanted but nevertheless a fairly good improvement. I went back to the pits and pulled my Canton filter and inspected it. Everything looked good and I had planned on making another run, bumping my tire pressure to 16 and dumping the clutch to see if I could get some tire spin and a better 60', but decided that I had ran the car hard enough through the week and just decided to load up and enjoy the rest of the day. I was happy that I had managed to knock off almost 7 tenths over the week and, despite the starter issue, the car had performed flawlessly. And I DID meet my goal of not only finishing, but not having to wrench on the car to fix anything. I was really happy about that!

Here's a YouTube video of my run at Wayne Trail. You can see the clutch grab a little earlier than I wanted, but overall it wasn't too bad.

https://youtu.be/-BZ1iCKCgHQ

And a shot of my time slip. Obviously still a long way to go on the 60' times. I'm really wishing I had a slipper clutch and Jerico, but not sure I really want to take away from the street friendliness of the car. I just enjoy driving it too much. Obviously I'm on the right side.

Here's a few random pics from the week that I couldn't upload earlier through my phone because I couldn't edit their size.

This is the flaw I found on my tire the day before I left and a shot of the place I stopped at to get it changed. I made one pass with it at Wayne Trail, and as soon as we left I found a place about 8 miles down the road to change it for me. The guys loved the car and were very nice about dropping what they were doing (their bays were FULL) and getting my tire changed over for me.

Scott Miller's Cougar. This car is awesome, and the Blair Patrick engine ran flawlessly all week. A VERY impressive showing by Scott, although I know he could have done better and possibly won his/my class if he had chosen the right gearing.

Here's a shot of Jay working on his cam/rocker issue at US 131 Motorsports Park...

My wife took this shot as my Son and me were leaving the track at Martin, MI. I liked the way it turned out.

Here's a random shot of one of the checkpoints, with the trailer attached to the car. The hitch and trailer worked perfectly all week.

Finally, here's a shot of the tow rig with trailer loaded into it, as we arrived at Wayne Trail on Sunday. A LONG way from the boatload of Super Duty diesels and fancy tow rigs that most guys had! But one of the coolest in my opinion 8)

« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 03:51:55 PM by cjshaker »
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

cjetmech

• View Profile
Re: Drag Week, Day 4 and Day 5...
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 03:45:38 PM »
Congrats on the successful week. With that trap speed your car certainly has the power to run 11.80's or so. Thats a nice machine.
67 Fairlane GT 428
93 Mustang Coupe 331

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 04:26:29 PM »
It was great getting a chance to meet you Doug and watching you run all week. Glad it was a successful Drag Week. When I get home I should have a couple photos I can add here. Would you do it again?
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 05:21:10 PM »
It was great to meet you too, Kevin. I wish I had had more time to hang around and chat with you. That's the ONLY disappointing part about Drag Week. And absolutely I'd do it again! I loved it. Although it might depend on the locations. I don't know if I'd be up to hauling the car 2-3 states away. That's a pretty long haul for my old rig.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 05:25:00 PM »
Well done Doug, not only for you and the car, but the red truck too!

Very, very nicely done
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 05:37:13 PM »
I was pulling for Doug, Scott, and Jay, all week long.  Jack Miller called me every morning with the daily report.  I wanted to go this year and follow the route, but way too much work in the shop right now to take off.  I was very happy to be involved a little with all three efforts.  Scott's engine, Doug's tow truck engine, and Jay's rotating assembly all came from here.  Congrats to all of you fellers, and thanks for allowing BPE to help!!
Blair Patrick

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2016, 06:11:28 PM »
Congrats to everyone for a fine showing for the FE faithful. Glad that everything went well for you Doug sounds like you guys had a good time. Followed all of you guys during the week, a buddy of mine was driving a friend of his car that finished 3 cars ahead of you.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2016, 08:06:14 PM »
Congrats on the successful week. With that trap speed your car certainly has the power to run 11.80's or so. Thats a nice machine.

You're absolutely right, the power is there to get me easily in the 11's. I'm already regretting not giving it that last 'Hail Mary' effort..lol

And Blair, the truck pulls like a champ, but that stroker kit should do even better. Once I take care of a couple of rattles, a minor loose steering feel and get stiffer shocks on the front, it'll be one solid pulling truck.

And thanks everyone, for rooting for us FE forum guys. If the event ever comes around to your area, I'd suggest doing it just for the experience if nothing else.

Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2016, 08:28:11 PM »
Doug, that truck is COOL!  I love the older trucks.  The new ones are like small block Chevy's.....everybody has 'em.  When you modernize the older stuff just the right amount, it becomes very functional and still keeps the nostalgia intact.
Blair Patrick

jgkurz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2016, 09:46:33 PM »
Congrats everyone on a great showing at Drag Week. It was exciting to follow each of you at each track. My productivity at work last week suffered greatly due to the livefeed. Ha!

I'd like to also recognize Al Casida in the 66 Galaxie who averaged 11.8 all week. That is one fast Galaxie! There was also a 69 390 Torino that had a good showing.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 09:54:23 PM by jgkurz »

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2016, 08:28:10 AM »
Doug, congrats on a great showing and your first Drag Week.  It was fun to see you again after 11 years, and your car is immaculate.  Elevens are in your future, I'm sure of it.  I hope I see you again next year at Drag Week, wherever it turns out to be - Jay
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2016, 08:58:33 AM »
Great job, Doug! It was great to meet and hang out with you and your Son this week. Hope to see you next year.  :)

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2016, 01:11:55 PM »

I'd like to also recognize Al Casida in the 66 Galaxie who averaged 11.8 all week. That is one fast Galaxie! There was also a 69 390 Torino that had a good showing.

I mentioned this in a previous post. Alan's car is definitely a sleeper in terms of looks, and owning 2 '65 Galaxies myself, I can attest that they are NOT light or nimble cars in anything resembling stock form. I give a big thumbs up to Alan's car (even if it isn't FE powered), and the fact that he probably could have gone on another month doing the same thing, with no issues. And on top of that, Alan is a genuinely VERY nice guy.

Great job, Doug! It was great to meet and hang out with you and your Son this week. Hope to see you next year.  :)

It was great to meet you too, Alan. I hope we get to meet up again next year also.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

57 lima bean

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2016, 01:27:17 PM »
Good to meet you and your son Doug.Had a heck of a week. :)

Posi67

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2016, 01:32:27 PM »
Congrats to everyone that participated. Just showing up makes someone a winner in my books but another good FE showing is the icing on the cake. The sight of a race car towing a trailer cracks me up though. Good to hear you had fun Doug. Getting harder to find these days.