Author Topic: Difficulty seating the distributor  (Read 10982 times)

drdano

• View Profile
Re: Difficulty seating the distributor
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2012, 08:51:10 PM »
Too late now - but when we run into this stuff we'll indicate the hole in the intake and move the center of the "enlarged" hole so that we can use a thinwall "on center" bushing.  Your's could be easily made on a mill/lathe - don't even need a CNC for that.  Not sure why you'd be having troubles...

Our bushing has a small "top hat brim" on it that indexes into a similar spotface on the intake to ensure concentricity.  We use a light push fit on it and have a single tiny screw to located it and hold position.

Yeap, that would be the best way to do it.  Problem with this is the dizzy hole was already enlarged once in an attempt to correct the problem but the center point was overshot too far.   ???  With an offset bushing it will fix it with one more operation instead of two (having to cut another enlarged hole again, but centered this time).  Everything has been an uphill battle on this 428, however when I'm flying down the road to Bonneville in August, all will be worth it.   ;D

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2012, 08:32:08 PM »
Here we are...

Not as easy as it looked LOL!  I'll send you a PM - Jay
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

drdano

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2012, 09:12:27 PM »
You da' man!  It looks deceivingly simple...I'm sure others too would like to know how you did it and what made it difficult.  Do share when you've got time.  Made from solid stock or did you have a chunk of tubing to start with?

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2012, 08:10:14 AM »
I started with a scrap piece of 1/2" 6061 aluminum, chucked it in the vise in my CNC machine and milled the center hole, then milled the outside diameter offset by .070".  The center hole was milled all the way through, but the outside edge was only milled to a depth of .400".  After that I flipped the piece over to cut .100" off the top and drop the part out, but it took several passes to do this because as the material got thinner and thinner the part wanted to shake, and it was too small to really stabilize with some kind of a clamp.  I ended up cutting most of the way through, then breaking the part out of the material by hand and finishing the back side with a file to remove the final amount of aluminum.  Also the OD and ID are very slightly egg shaped, probably due to compression from the vise warping the material when it was clamped in place.  Minimum OD was 1.220", and max was 1.225", measured 90 degrees from each other.  It should reform into a circle when it is pressed into the hole in the manifold.  Also due to the hand finishing the final thickness came in around .390" rather than .400".  Again, it shouldn't matter in the application. 

What I'm most concerned about is the press into the hole in the manifold.  If your measurement of the hole at 1.223" is accurate, it should press in just fine, but if not it could be loose or tight.  Since there's not really any load on the piece, if it turns out to be loose you could just use some Right Stuff or Motorcraft TA-31 to glue it in position, or even put in a set screw from the front of the manifold casting.

Anyway, let me know how it works out - Jay
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2012, 08:22:37 AM »
Yeah holding parts like this can be very tough. 

I have used a technique like yours - finishing the inside first and then profiling the outside, not going all the way through.  The trick then is to fill several areas of the outside slot with high strength epoxy "bridges".  This stiffens everything up nicely for machining the back side.  A heat gun is then used to soften the epoxy and remove the part.

My CAM software also lets me machine a profile leaving little metal bridges.  You snap those off later, but then have to hand finish.  I'm still experimenting with this approach.

It's always the easy jobs that bite you!   :o
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

drdano

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2012, 03:11:07 PM »
Offset bushing showed up today and it fits like a glove!  Very happy, thanks again Jay for getting my project moving back along.  Just need to to final top-end assembly, cut some plug wires and drop the new motor in the car. 

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2012, 05:27:53 PM »
Great!  Happy to be of assistance - Jay
Jay Brown