Author Topic: Galaxie  (Read 3947 times)

FElony

Galaxie
« on: July 29, 2016, 06:24:44 PM »
Geez you guys are in a coma. WAKE UP!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79LnkiAuYn8

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: Galaxie
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 09:23:54 PM »
Yes!  The Velvet Brute!

Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 09:43:53 PM »
Sweet its amazing the cool shit that we could have gotten our hands on

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 10:12:42 PM »
I'm not gonna put 70psi in my tires tho.....

FElony

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 10:29:52 PM »
OK, so here is a related question. Does this car have enough appeal that a "clone" of it, with a real '65 427 engine and top loader, would fetch premium money? That is, less than a real R-code, but more than a 390? Or do you think it is too obscure? What would you do if you already had a straight, rust-free 500 and most of the critical parts to copy this one?

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 08:35:27 AM »
I think it would definitely fetch more money than a 390 car.  Seems like if you could duplicate all the special stuff, including suspension and interior, you could get a LOT more than a 390 car...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Katz427

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 10:24:19 AM »
I do remember these as my father shocked me by coming home with a 289 with automatic !! He Always had a manual ...always! There was a 65 galaxie for sale in Olean NY with a 427 and toploader installed ( original 352 car ). The gent was asking $20k and last I knew still had it. My thoughts were to replace the 390 in the 66 galaxie with a 427. I may still get to doing it :)

FElony

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2016, 10:55:26 AM »
I think it would definitely fetch more money than a 390 car.  Seems like if you could duplicate all the special stuff, including suspension and interior, you could get a LOT more than a 390 car...

I'm in the process (once again) of deciding whether to off all my pre-67 cars and just concentrate on the Jets and such. This 500 is an X-code automatic that currently has a 460 with Crites mounts in it from the previous owner. I could do a MR with a flat hood or a HR with a teardrop. I have a '65 long-tail BIBO trans. Lots of other stuff. I suffer from Model Car Syndrome applied to 1:1 cars. There is no cure. I am doomed.

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2016, 11:11:50 AM »
If you are looking to build a 427 clone for resale I doubt the popularity is there. But for sheer fun, why not! I am a little biased, although mine is a 66. I agree with what they say in the video about the rear suspension. I haven't really done anything to mine except replace the control arms with adjustable pieces and this was mainly so I could center my slicks in the wheelwell and I think my 66 Galaxie hooks really well. I had some 1.60 60 ft times during DragWeek last year footbraking it with 3.80 gears. :)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 11:28:15 AM by AlanCasida »

Cyclone Joe

• Joe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2016, 11:22:17 AM »
FElony,
What do you think it would cost to turn a 390 '65 into the Velvet Brute look-alike?  I'm sure you could built it and sell it, but would you break even or make a profit?  I don't know enough about '65s to know how difficult it is to find the special equipment. 

The other thing is what kind of buyer would buy this type of car.  Do you think its someone who's going to be looking for the OEM NOS interior, paint dabs/overspray, and all specialty equipment, or OEM look-alike  and close enough specialty parts that set it apart (Gas Monkey method)?

I'm sure you'll get more money over a 390 car, but will you get enough money to offset the cost to build it - I'd have to do a bunch of research and see what similar cars with similar options/rebuilds/missing specialty equipment sold for (and when it was sold).

Joe

FElony

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2016, 12:19:12 PM »
FElony,
What do you think it would cost to turn a 390 '65 into the Velvet Brute look-alike?  I'm sure you could built it and sell it, but would you break even or make a profit?  I don't know enough about '65s to know how difficult it is to find the special equipment. 

The other thing is what kind of buyer would buy this type of car.  Do you think its someone who's going to be looking for the OEM NOS interior, paint dabs/overspray, and all specialty equipment, or OEM look-alike  and close enough specialty parts that set it apart (Gas Monkey method)?

I'm sure you'll get more money over a 390 car, but will you get enough money to offset the cost to build it - I'd have to do a bunch of research and see what similar cars with similar options/rebuilds/missing specialty equipment sold for (and when it was sold).

Joe

Well, there is a gray area term called "tribute", which I take to mean "similar appearing". A real clone is one that would be correct in every way. These cost too much and buyers are more apt to park/show them than drive them. The current Nostalgia SS cars are more tribute in nature, as they look and feel the part without being clones, so I guess that's more where I'd be heading.

So, in that vein, a rough estimate of what it would take to build this Galaxie, doing most of the work myself, would be around 40 grand. That includes what I bought the car for and what I have in existing 427 stuff that it would need. The 460 in it is an SVO short block with ported heads and a built C6 with Hughes converter, all with zero miles. Front suspension is all new, came with 4-wheel Disc conversion new in box, extra full set of exterior trim and grille. So some value in parts not used there, but not figured in. AZ car, so shot interior and zero rust, no collision damage of any kind or dings or nothing.

As for doing this for fun, Alan: I do like early cars, but my main thing would be the six CJ cars and some 429-based 70-73 vehicles. If there is no clear market for early cars, then I have to consider just selling them as is. I have to draw the line somewhere, and right now the line is not even visible with binoculars.