FE Power Forums > The Road to Drag Week 2016

The Road to Drag Week 2016 - Old School Style

<< < (2/19) > >>

Hemi Joel:
Nice car.  8)  I want to see a pic of that closed road with tire stripes all over it!

cjshaker:
I offered the crew an extra $100 if they slowed down the work. The boss was NOT amused by that. Some people just have no sense of humor ::)

Heo:
 ;D ;D ;D

cjshaker:
Not much to report on on the car, since there isn't much to do to it. I fitted my spare HS rockers to some new heavy duty shafts, for spares, although it's doubtful I'll need them. I need to order some spare pushrods also. It hasn't been easy getting stuff done, with temps in the garage over 100* by the time I get home. :P

I finally got started on the trailer and hitch, which was/is my biggest concern. Trying to keep everything lightweight without building a special expensive aluminum trailer has been my goal. I found a good deal on a lightly used trailer, the kind for hauling lawn mowers, so I bought it and promptly took it home and put it on a diet, and cut it into bits :) First thing I did was remove the heavy rear ramp section and chopped a 1' section out of the front and welded it back together.

After doing some trial fitting of the tires and spare parts I intended to haul, I determined it was still too big, so I chopped another 1' off the back.

Now I just need to make a cheap aluminum frame for a box canopy to keep stuff dry inside. Simple but effective...hopefully. I'm still trying to derive the best way to make a hitch without cutting or hacking into the car. I think I'm going to need to drill 2 bolt holes in the trunk floor, behind the rear valance, and that will be it. As of now, I'm going to use some 1/2" bar stock sandwiched between the bumper brackets and the body, as the main point for attaching the hitch. It'll space the bumper out a 1/2" and probably make it look a bit goofy, but it'll be easily removable, and the weight might even help with traction. ;D

Jay, it'd be interesting to see how you attached your hitch to the Mach 1. Got any pictures of that set-up?

jayb:
Doug, the first go around for me on the hitch didn't work, it tore the sheet metal in the trunk on the fourth day of Drag Week 2005.  When I went back a couple years later, I also used the hitch to mount the parachute, so I did some fairly involved gusseting and support work under the trunk floor to make sure it was stable.  You probably don't want to do that, and I don't have any pictures of it anyway.  I like your idea of the replaceable bumper, and I think as far as a support extending back towards the trunk floor, I would make sure to put a plate under the support so force against the trunk floor is spread out over a wide area.  With your trailer being pretty light, I think that's going to work fine.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version